Runners check in!

Davidklt

I have already signed up for 350, Marina 21 and 2XU.

Wanted to sign up for HK marathon too but it's fully booked.

The most ridiculous is the hongbao run. $68 for a 10 k run ?!

You are right, the hongbao run so expensive! Wonder who will join this run?
↡ Advertisement

Since i am on this page, would like to state some things i observed as a nurse. No real evidence but just observations.

1) the dash to the finish line can be life threatening. When one runs, one starts slow to warm up, fast when he is ready and slow when he is tired. What ppl do is they start slow, then fast, then slow, AND THEN TOWARDS THE FINISH LINE, make an all out dash to the finish line, forgetting the heart has already slowed and is tired.

- observation is that while heat stroke can occur anytime during the race, cardiac arrests occur mostly if not always around finish line. I do wonder if this is the cause. While i cannot confirm the cause, it is known that a sudden shock to the heart can cause it to be arrested (stop beating) and suddenly sprinting with all of your might when the heart is tired can theoretically cause that shock.

2) inverse theory of heatstroke. Meaning the hotter it gets, the less likely u get heatstroke.

- observation is that for stndchart marathon, i notice that those who get heatstroke get them more frequently I n the early morning as compared to afternoon. Only rationale i can th ink of is that those still running in the afternoon are the unfit ones who walk anddrink water while those who collapse when it is cooler tend to be the fit ones arei making for timing.

Run safe everyone in 2014.

• Praise 1

I notice the same thing, the final burst can be deadly. AS seen from past casualties, the incidents happened just right before or after the finish line.

Turbocharged

Me too, 2XU 21km

Still considering Run350. Any feedback on the route and run? Is it well organised or cocked up like AHM?

I did run 350 last year and found it good - but this year damn expensive.

All too blardy expensive to do :-(

Sigh...

Very sad - stop running for last 3-4 months, have gained about 6 kg...

Have to start again...

Buggeration

Hypersonic

RIP to a fellow runner,

https://www.facebook.com/williammuk/posts/10152254178878007

William Muk
· 11 Followers
*** Reflection ***
Something happened during this morning's 2XU Compression Run.

The scene kept replaying in my mind & I kept thinking if there's anything we could have done better, more efficiently to render help & save the runner.

This is what I think:
(1) It should be compulsory for race organizers to print their emergency contact number on the bib. I checked a few of my previous bibs. Only Safra Army Half Marathon has this printed.

(2) Emergency services like 995 should have a way to find the location of the caller via the mobile phone. With the technology today, this is surely possible.

(3) Medics on patrol should carrying emergency medical equipment. Or at least some basic medical supplies. And they should be trained to used them.

(4) I think I should learn CPR.

This was what happened.

Soon after the 11km mark (at 5:06am) a fellow runner fell right in front of me. At first I thought he tripped. So I asked if he is OK & wanted to help him up. Another runner in front of him also stopped to help. Then we realized something is wrong as his eyes were closed & he didn't answer us.

First thing we checked is that he is breathing. Then we wanted to contact the organizer's medical team. Unfortunately, the organizer's emergency contact number was not printed on the bib. A few more runners had also stopped to help too. Someone called 995 for an ambulance & I could hear the difficulty he had trying to tell them the location. This is because we were not on a main road. We were on a path along Geylang River & it was very dark as there were no lights. While he was on the phone with 995, I checked the website & downloaded the race guide but also could not find the organizer's contact number. If only we could contact the organizer, they would know the exact location based on the 11km mark.

Another runner stopped to help, which I found out later that he is a doctor. He said his heartbeat is very weak & need an ambulance. The earlier person that called 995 had gone looking for help. So I called 995 (at 5:10am) & had the same problem talking to them. The lady on the line kept insisting that I need to give the exact location before she could despatch an ambulance. I had problems giving that information as I do not know the road names around there. While I was still on the phone with 995, someone managed to locate two of the organizer's "medics" (that's what their shirts say) whom were probably on patrol. So I asked the medic if they could call for their ambulance which she said she is calling.

At this time, someone (I think it was the doctor) was already giving the runner CPR as he had stopped breathing. When he saw the medics, he ask for something (not sure what) but they don't have it. He ask what do they have & the medics replied they "don't have anything". The doctor said he needed someone to take over the CPR. Fortunately, another runner knows how to & took over the CPR. At that moment, I wished I knew how to perform CPR.

Then I heard someone said the ambulance drove passed but could not find the place. So I & another two runners ran out to the main road (around 5:20am) to see if we could find the ambulance. Luckily the ambulance drove around again & we directed the medical staff to the location (at 5:27am).

They use the AED (the electric shock equipment) about 3 times, I think, but still no heartbeat. All this while, in between the AED charging up, someone was giving CPR, the doctor was also trying to give him an IV & he also asked for adrenaline. The rest of us used our phones to light up the place for them to work.

At around 5:35am, they loaded him onto the stretcher & wheeled him out to the ambulance. I'm not sure whether they managed to get his heartbeat back. I hope he is OK.

http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/Fu-Zong-Cai-Pao-42Gong-Li-Ma-La-Song-Ban-Tu-Tu-Yun-Dao-Bu-Zhi-245154

跑42公里马拉松,副总裁在11公里处,突然倒地不起,送院抢救不治。

这起事件发生在昨天清晨5时左右,死者是45岁的许马丁(译音,Martynn Koh),生前是跨国公司Rite-Hite的亚洲区域行销副总裁。

据了解,死者参加的是昨天凌晨4时在尼诰大道一带举行的“2XU Compression Run”42.195公里全程马拉松,不料却在5时左右于体育场连路(Stadium Link)的11公里处突然倒地不起。

心脏科医生:逾35岁猝死者,多是心血管阻塞。完整报道,请翻阅03.03.2014的《新明日报》

- See more at: http://news.omy.sg/News/Local-News/Fu-Zong-Cai-Pao-42Gong-Li-Ma-La-Song-Ban-Tu-Tu-Yun-Dao-Bu-Zhi-245154#sthash.1Z2PNjly.dpuf

i so fit i also didnt run 42km yet.

ppl must know their limit and dont try....

If u nvr push the limit, how do u know what's ur limit?

How to do u define fit?

Well, i can also say i m fit. My best time for JP Morgan Run is 29mins. Last time, 2 wks before JP Morgan Run, i am down with Dengue. Still, i completed it in 39mins. 10mins worse than my best.

Turbocharged

How to do u define fit?

Well, i can also say i m fit. My best time for JP Morgan Run is 29mins. Last time, 2 wks before JP Morgan Run, i am down with Dengue. Still, i completed it in 39mins. 10mins worse than my best.

What's the distance for the JP Morgan Run? I always wanted to do ultra long distance but always cannot complete beyond 6km LOL. My knees and calcaneus hurt like hell after a long run.

How to do u define fit?

u r lucky u didnt collapse despite recovered from dengue recently. its fine to try ur luck.

running for fitness, but i wont run for the sake of completing some events.

How to do u define fit?

He's right. Some really dunno their limit. And some know their limit but still chiong.

There're ppl who only clocked max 12km but went for marathon. Limited in the head or body, they still dunno.

There'a an over-achieving culture brewing in endurance sports. Hard days were done through tired and weary legs and easy days were over cooked. Ample rest and knowing your body is very important.

Events have more than tripled over the last 10yrs. Organisers obviously cut corners for max profit which makes the entry fees people are paying for look ridiculous. Participants wake up during the wee hours with minimal rest, rush to the venue and faced with a packed crowd running through routes that were tight, congested and inaccessible to first aid personnel. Plus some are not totally qualifed and sometimes lack proper equipment, which is the case in point.

Though some see death as a date with fate, in some cases, they can be totally avoided.

What's the distance for the JP Morgan Run? I always wanted to do ultra long distance but always cannot complete beyond 6km LOL. My knees and calcaneus hurt like hell after a long run.

If I'm not wrong it's 5.6 or 6km. Was arrowed to go once but I told them I was too lazy to go [grin]

alot of us like office workers due to unhealthy life style, long hour sittings, diet

actually many parts of our body is already not so good shape

like me trying to maintain 30-40km run per week is wat i can afford

some avid runners will maintain average 50km per week.

so imagine, when u try to finish 42km in 4hours plus, that is damaging the body

the weak organs exposed to risk, especially heart n muscle will cause failure

but same like every runner u want to do the best, so u try harder, regardless win or loss

for the fallen runner, RIP.

Hypersonic
(edited)

i so fit i also didnt run 42km yet.

ppl must know their limit and dont try....

I don't think it's the distance that kills him. He was only 11km from the start, and it seems he has completed Stan Chart marathon before.

I believe it's more of the intensity that the runners put in and makes the heart rate increases above its limits. Just checked a few casualty, and they are runners who trained before. Their timing are really good. And for this case, if my calc is right, he completed the 10km portion within 55 mins.

Edited by Ender

I don't think it's the distance that kills him. He was only 11km from the start, and it seems he has completed Stan Chart marathon before.

I believe it's more of the intensity that the runners put in and makes the heart rate increases above its limits. Just checked a few casualty, and they are runners who trained before. Their timing are really good. And for this case, if my calc is right, he completed the 10km portion within 55 mins.

10km within 55mins is above average

to acheive tat, i need to increase my pace, every leaps has to be longer, not forgeting overtaking the slow runners in front meaning more efforts n energy

also my muscle is cold too

he is trying very hard, salute

10km within 55mins is above average

to acheive tat, i need to increase my pace, every leaps has to be longer, not forgeting overtaking the slow runners in front meaning more efforts n energy

also my muscle is cold too

he is trying very hard, salute

Wah.. 55 mins for 10km.. That's quite a high pace for a 10km run.

I too have to increase my pace by a lot and do loads of training to hit that kind of timing esp when he is running 42 km. I'll usually do slowly so as to conserve energy for that distance.

I saw the ambulance during my run and was wondering what happened.. RIP to the runner...

5.6km only.

u r lucky u didnt collapse despite recovered from dengue recently. its fine to try ur luck.

running for fitness, but i wont run for the sake of completing some events.

During my 2 wks with dengue, i was not hospitalised. In fact, i was working that 2 wks.

In that sense, i could say i am very fit.

He's right. Some really dunno their limit. And some know their limit but still chiong.

There're ppl who only clocked max 12km but went for marathon. Limited in the head or body, they still dunno.

There'a an over-achieving culture brewing in endurance sports. Hard days were done through tired and weary legs and easy days were over cooked. Ample rest and knowing your body is very important.

Events have more than tripled over the last 10yrs. Organisers obviously cut corners for max profit which makes the entry fees people are paying for look ridiculous. Participants wake up during the wee hours with minimal rest, rush to the venue and faced with a packed crowd running through routes that were tight, congested and inaccessible to first aid personnel. Plus some are not totally qualifed and sometimes lack proper equipment, which is the case in point.

Though some see death as a date with fate, in some cases, they can be totally avoided.

I totally agreed with you.

I did try a marathon totally unfit. I told myself if i start walking before 21km, i gonna take bus home. At the previous ECP McDonald, i started walking. I head straight to Marine Parade road & took a bus home.

Until the cause of his death is known, we can only speculate.

I totally agreed with you.

I did try a marathon totally unfit. I told myself if i start walking before 21km, i gonna take bus home. At the previous ECP McDonald, i started walking. I head straight to Marine Parade road & took a bus home.

Haha at least you didn't take short cut and came in 1st like last yr's joker. At least you know when to stop. Some don't.

Back on the topic of increasing no of participants, some see it as a very 'in' thing to register for running events. Some are clueless about running and just wana have fun. But some bozos really dunno a fark what's in it for them.

Ever overheard a group of yuppies talking among themselves about their targets for std chartered. One guy boasted he ever did under 3:30. And when one girl asked about his best 10k timing, he jam for a while then say under an hour... Can tell the char bor a bit puzzled. And I almost spilled my precious beer...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2