Road trip to Chiang Mai Report.

Shor

Thanks Bro!

Kudos to you, you covered many of the Northern part. And very nice report!!! Camping here to read more.

You're adventurous man!!

Have chance we drive our car there, to the ISAAN region! I've yet to drive there!!! [pirate]

There you go...

post-87160-1359263698_thumb.jpg

Have to plan.. cos dunno when I will have enough leave...

↡ Advertisement

There you go...

Have to plan.. cos dunno when I will have enough leave...

Thanks bro! Colour same same Tebing nia!! 555555555555

Bro the Pork Paste with Shan Style Chilli ( Nam Prik Ong) is one of my fav Northern Thai dish! Shiooooookkkkkkk! I wondering why you know so many local dish where tourist ( Non Thai )will not know how to order!!

Are you a half Kon Thai!?

bro.. i ask the wattress ( i suspect is the lady boss or boss relative)

Phom Kon Singapore

I m flying back today... checking out of hotel in minutes

Pai is actually more interesting than MHS...

It takes another 3 hours from Pai to MHS.

There are about 5 ways to drive from MHS to CNX...

One is via pai - 6 hrs

Another way is via Mae Sariang - 6 - 7 hrs

Third way is via doi inthanon - 7 - 8 hrs

There is a 4th way via some tracks but recommended to go in 4x4 vehicle

To be more clear...

There are 5 routes: A to E

post-87160-1359264986_thumb.jpg

post-87160-1359264997_thumb.jpg

Route A: is the anti clockwise drive from Chiang Mai via Pai using 1095

post-87160-1359265024_thumb.jpg

Route B is the clockwise drive from Chiang Mai to MHS via Mae Sariang mainly using 108

Route C is an alternative via Doi Inthanon...

post-87160-1359265097_thumb.jpg

Route D is off road and only attempt with 4WD and avoid rainy season

post-87160-1359265140_thumb.jpg

Route E is the longest.. a variation of Route B... instead of taking Mae Sariang as the turning point... Mae Sod is preferred... also known as the 3 Mae Route....

post-87160-1359265220_thumb.jpg

Hi bro Raymondism,

Great report! Now making me think of going up further into that region. Just a question: Was it detailed planning with the family or it's free and easy for the trip?

Cheers

Hi bro Raymondism,

Great report! Now making me think of going up further into that region. Just a question: Was it detailed planning with the family or it's free and easy for the trip?

Cheers

Just the two of us so its easy

She plan... i execute...

Depends on who u r gg w... some of the 'lobangs' (aka caves) are not elderly or kids friendly

We took 4 days for the loop n its abit relax... we had time to 're-visit' some POIs that we missed the day before due to time constraint...

It also depends on wat kind of POI u wanna see...

BTW number 1 consideration shld b time n space...

at those hill area eg CNX to Pai n from Pai to MHS

be prepared to travel at land rover or tank speed..

we actually pre booked lodging...

as we catered ample time for transiting between stopovers

Thanks Bro!

Kudos to you, you covered many of the Northern part. And very nice report!!! Camping here to read more.

You're adventurous man!!

Have chance we drive our car there, to the ISAAN region! I've yet to drive there!!! [pirate]

Bro Nainar is venturing into Isaan, wait for his reports

BTW number 1 consideration shld b time n space...

at those hill area eg CNX to Pai n from Pai to MHS

be prepared to travel at land rover or tank speed..

we actually pre booked lodging...

as we catered ample time for transiting between stopovers

Good job,Bro

U make me want to do the loop again and yea U right just the two of us this time!

Bro Nainar is venturing into Isaan, wait for his reports

Am in Hua Hin now. Should be reaching Kanchanburi tomorrow.Till now it is still central.Tomorrow onwards will provide detailed updates.

For starters NSHW on Saturday was a pain again with three major traffic jams beyond Slim River.Despite my early start at 7:30 AM could reach Hat Yai only at 8:30 PM.Despite me having Visa the stamping lady asked an atrocious 30RM fees.I refused and she said give me 20 RM.I flatly said visa fees has been paid already.Asked me to show money which I had.Then she prepared the required documents and sent me to the officer for stamping.Had she asked for 10 RM I might have given. First day trip was @900 KMs at average speed of @ 60 kph

It is the Hat Yai to Hua hin was a lot more fun.Had sweeping curves,sharp curves and generally fun.Averaged @80 kph for @800 KMs.

Am in Hyatt Regency,thanks to Raymond the they gave me a discount.Quiet place and very nice.

1st feb onwards will in CNX and beyond.Our agenda is to do MHS loop starting counterclockwise starting from CNX-Pai-MHS-Mae sareieng and back to CNX..With a night stay in MHS.Then head towards Chiang Khan and follow 211 along Mekong.The only variable I have is to take this as we go forward one day at a time.

Bro Ray if you see this message,suggest a good place to stay in MHS and CNX.your boutique hotel seems nice.

Thanks folks.Catch you all later.BTW one friend of mine flew from India to BKK and will be joining me from Ayuthaya onwards.Think of distances people go for driving pleasures.

On a side note,any Bros interested in Leh-Ladakh in India?17000 feet above sea level and one drives through Himalayas.Was planning one before I had to ome to Singapore.That is my next trip.

Nainar

Am in Hua Hin now. Should be reaching Kanchanburi tomorrow.Till now it is still central.Tomorrow onwards will provide detailed updates.

For starters NSHW on Saturday was a pain again with three major traffic jams beyond Slim River.Despite my early start at 7:30 AM could reach Hat Yai only at 8:30 PM.Despite me having Visa the stamping lady asked an atrocious 30RM fees.I refused and she said give me 20 RM.I flatly said visa fees has been paid already.Asked me to show money which I had.Then she prepared the required documents and sent me to the officer for stamping.Had she asked for 10 RM I might have given. First day trip was @900 KMs at average speed of @ 60 kph

It is the Hat Yai to Hua hin was a lot more fun.Had sweeping curves,sharp curves and generally fun.Averaged @80 kph for @800 KMs.

Am in Hyatt Regency,thanks to Raymond the they gave me a discount.Quiet place and very nice.

1st feb onwards will in CNX and beyond.Our agenda is to do MHS loop starting counterclockwise starting from CNX-Pai-MHS-Mae sareieng and back to CNX..With a night stay in MHS.Then head towards Chiang Khan and follow 211 along Mekong.The only variable I have is to take this as we go forward one day at a time.

Bro Ray if you see this message,suggest a good place to stay in MHS and CNX.your boutique hotel seems nice.

Thanks folks.Catch you all later.BTW one friend of mine flew from India to BKK and will be joining me from Ayuthaya onwards.Think of distances people go for driving pleasures.

On a side note,any Bros interested in Leh-Ladakh in India?17000 feet above sea level and one drives through Himalayas.Was planning one before I had to ome to Singapore.That is my next trip.

Nainar

In MHS, we stayed at Gims Resort..... a bit ulu... not easy to find but its near Airport....

http://gimsresort.page4.me/index.html

the town is rather small but u need to drive to get to the Lake....

alternatively, you might consider staying near the lake...

In Chiang Mai...

We stayed at two places:

De Chai The Colonial (on our 1st day before heading to Pai) within walking distance to the moat around Old Chiang Mai City

The car park is on another lane... but guarded by security.

if you are just staying for one night... should be a good choice

Zensala Boutque Resort (we stayed for 4 nights after the MHS loop done)

http://www.zensalaresort.com/rates.php

another place we stayed before is Ibis Styles Hotel... near to Chiang Mai University...

http://www.ibis.com/gb/hotel-8108-ibis-sty...ons/index.shtml

good clean place... walking distance to some thai noodle shop...

Edited by Raymondism

Nainar

Wait till U come up North, then the roads N people gets more interesting and the weather as well

Think can drive from Sin to India? That will be more fun and U can help alot here

alternatively.. u can consider skipping the mae sariang... and took Route C (pls see earlier posts on page 49) and go to Doi Inthanon before going to Chiang Mai

that is if you do not have time to visit Doi INthanon on another day...

alternatively.. u can consider skipping the mae sariang... and took Route C (pls see earlier posts on page 49) and go to Doi Inthanon before going to Chiang Mai

that is if you do not have time to visit Doi INthanon on another day...

Bro, how's the car and which rental co?

Might follow yr route this Songkran, cos I "topo" king, last trip 11yrs ago very blur!

BTW, if got time can summarise or else I have to go page by page

Thanks again

Bro, how's the car and which rental co?

Might follow yr route this Songkran, cos I "topo" king, last trip 11yrs ago very blur!

BTW, if got time can summarise or else I have to go page by page

Thanks again

Lancer 1.8 is ok... more powerful; than my altis LOL

basically i went by route A and came back to Chiang Mai by route B

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=4751638

Thanks bro

Day 1 (CNX) [16 Jan 2013]

Flew to CNX and collect car from Airport (Chiang Mai Alpha Car Rental)

Check in at De Chai The Colonial

Lunch at Khao Soi Lamduan Faham

Set off for Khun Wang to look at Thai Sakura

Back to Hotel before 7pm

Massage at Hotel

Day 2 (CNX to Pai)

Set off for Pai around noon

Stop over at Green Food Coffee along 1095

Visit Tha Pae Hot Spring

Check in at Pai My Guest Resort

Visit Wat Klang, Wat Nam Hu

Stop over at Coffee In Love

Visit WWII Memorial Bridge & Pai Canyon

Dinner at Pai My Guest follow by Night Market

Note: If have time, can stop over at Pong Dued Geyser along 1095 about an hour before reaching Pai.

Day 3 (Pai)

Set off for Huai Nam Dang National Park

Visit Wat Phra That Mae Yen

Late Lunch in Pai Town

Set off for Tham Lod

Day 1 (CNX) [16 Jan 2013]

Flew to CNX and collect car from Airport (Chiang Mai Alpha Car Rental)

Check in at De Chai The Colonial

Lunch at Khao Soi Lamduan Faham

Set off for Khun Wang to look at Thai Sakura

Back to Hotel before 7pm

Massage at Hotel

Day 2 (CNX to Pai)

Set off for Pai around noon

Stop over at Green Food Coffee along 1095

Visit Tha Pae Hot Spring

Check in at Pai My Guest Resort

Visit Wat Klang, Wat Nam Hu

Stop over at Coffee In Love

Visit WWII Memorial Bridge & Pai Canyon

Dinner at Pai My Guest follow by Night Market

Note: If have time, can stop over at Pong Dued Geyser along 1095 about an hour before reaching Pai.

Day 3 (Pai)

Set off for Huai Nam Dang National Park

Visit Wat Phra That Mae Yen

Late Lunch in Pai Town

Set off for Tham Lod

↡ Advertisement