Coolant smelling like paint thinner

Garlic

(edited)

Hello everyone,

I recently sent vehicle back to agent to rectify a leaking issue. Water pump and several clips were replaced.

2 weeks ln, I notice coolant level is dropping rapidly again and it now smells like paint thinner, there is also an oily film on the surface.

What can cause sweet smelling coolant to turn into an oily liquids which smells like paint thinner? Some gasket leak?

Thanks.

Edited by Garlic
↡ Advertisement

Hello everyone,

I recently sent vehicle back to agent to rectify a leaking issue. Water pump and several clips were replaced.

2 weeks ln, I notice coolant level is dropping rapidly again and it now smells like paint thinner, there is also an oily film on the surface.

What can cause sweet smelling coolant to turn into an oily liquids which smells like paint thinner? Some gasket leak?

Thanks.

Oil in the water?? Not good, sounds like gasket problem.

This is really serious.

Coolant is leaking into your engine oil.

Get it seen to as soon as possible.

I think it's internal leak.

But not sure if it's from where.

Could probably be unburn fuel.

You can also self check if there is a internal leak, by checking colour of EO.

Milky means serious mix of EO and water.

With engine warm shut off, draw EO dipstick, let a few drop drip onto exhaust manifold, if you hear sizzling = coolant breeched through.

Get a mechanic to perform pressure test on the cooling system, if cant determine the cause.

(edited)

Confirm it's the head gasket. Get it replaced.

Your coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber. You should be seeing some white smoke coming out from your exhaust while the engine is running.

If the petrol and engine oil can travel all the way to your coolant reservoir that means the leak is quite bad. It's recommended you overhaul the engine and have the internal combustion chamber thoroughly cleaned.

Edited by Watwheels

Thanks for the feedbacks, will be making an appointment to get it rectified tomorrow.

The engine is also making a loud ticking noise.

Here is a picture of the oil film, coolant is pink VW G12.

photo1te.jpg

↡ Advertisement