My experience working in civil service...

Relacklabrudder

Turbocharged

the above is written by an ex-director? the english full of tense and grammer mistakes.

Grammar, not grammer. And it should be "grammatical", to be grammatically correct.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

i was in technical line as senior engineer, ok pay is not dat gd. but life is stable come 9am knock off 530pm. got once a yr idle trip to europe by company.

then i think perhpas it is time for me to try management but current no management positions la so decide venture into civil service.

the current company also not expanding in my area of work and i feel most of time not doing much or learning much, becoming very lazy.

oh by the way tis company i joined since graduate for nearly 6 yrs.

then there was advert for assistant director. looks damn big but not much salary increment.

i got the position after 1 interview mmm...very suspicious but it was willing to wait 2mth notice. best thing is during interview they did not even say what they do.

The contract offer say 1 yr contract as with all civil service and convert to perm 1 yr later if good. it is big if

in fact it belong to small instituiton inside a big 'umbrella' statboard, so dificult to get info on it.

i report to lady supervisor.

1st day work the director already yelling away. then from there it is down hill. the director will yell and criticise everybody in morning and run the institution like a stock exchange. he will say thing like 'give this guy the work la, he is paid $xxxx'

i spoke up and the directordislike me from there on.

my lady sup is so scared she will pressure me to details correcting my punctuations and spelling , grammar which i felt is totally humiliating.

she dun know anything so she will major on the minor things. very sianz...

needless to say after 1 yr they decide not renew my contract.

so i jobless.

they did not even forewarn me or even give me warnings as such , just say contratc not renew 1 month prior to end of contract and justify with lousy reasons.

this even cause me to lost a job offer in between the 1 yr tenure even though lower paid as i tot i had a future in tis govt insititution, had i known i would have hop off.

tis event happen few yrs ago, last i heard this stupid director was asked to step down before his retirement age due to too many complains against him liao.

but still it made a mess of my life.

as i think back, would i have make a different decision? i mean life is very very stale at the 1st company, but nice colleagues, ok boss but not learning much or doing much, and a management position came along....how i know it was like a 'trap'

anyway manage to pick myself up and went back to technical line but was arduous journey ut dats another story....

thing is would u choose stability and monotony over change, risk taking, possible failure?

You can sum up everything with the sentence that I bold for you, female boss in civil service..

Hypersonic
(edited)

TS, I was just like you actually, and it did affect me...same thing, movign up, but did not like it, but after i resigned, found it difficult as i had moved up too high.

I was actually v v comfortable before i took tht plunge. but guess, it was seeing how better it would be caused me to jump.

After one full circle, i am back at what i love doing and thus, it is not the $$$ nor status, but the overall job satisfaction one derives from his/her daily task.

Take it as a learning experience and move on

How do you get paid for surfing mcf?? :D

Edited by Ender

Turbocharged

You can sum up everything with the sentence that I bold for you, female boss in civil service..

Never, ever get a female boss.

In the past, before I go for itnerview, I would ask if my boss is a male or female. If female, even 50% more pay also I reject the interview.

No offence to the ladies, but the higher the post, the worse the female boss will be.

Hypersonic
(edited)

[laugh][laugh] I wish man.....

I must have misunderstood your statement, as surfing MCF is almost my daily task too, and definitely would give me job satisfaction if I'm paid too. :D

After one full circle, i am back at what i love doing and thus, it is not the $$$ nor status, but the overall job satisfaction one derives from his/her daily task.
Edited by Ender

In the past, before I go for itnerview, I would ask if my boss is a male or female. If female, even 50% more pay also I reject the interview.

No offence to the ladies, but the higher the post, the worse the female boss will be.

[thumbsup][thumbsup]LIKE

totally agree...women do not make good bosses as they tend to mix emotions with their decisions....totally irrational

(edited)

Was from civil service. For civil service, the management position is perm position.

I joined them as perm staff just few years ago.

At least 2 to 3 rounds of interview for management position. And your G50 clearance must be cleared

after the 1st round of interview. Thus normally, the 2nd or 3rd interview will be 1 to 2 months later.

Normally, only the lowest civil service graduate grade is contract position. Manager and above confirm perm

position. No such thing as contract position for manager and above. And I am talking about the actual grade, not the title.

Think you kenna con into a so call CONtract assistant director post when it's just the lowest grade of the civil service graduate grade.

I guess the job title, assistant director must have attracted you in the first place.

But treat this as a learning experience. Good luck.

Edited by Mahjong74

Was from civil service. For civil service, the management position is perm position.

I joined them as perm staff just few years ago.

At least 2 to 3 rounds of interview for management position. And your G50 clearance must be cleared

after the 1st round of interview. Thus normally, the 2nd or 3rd interview will be 1 to 2 months later.

Normally, only the lowest civil service graduate grade is contract position. Manager and above confirm perm

position. No such thing as contract position for manager and above. And I am talking about the actual grade, not the title.

Think you kenna con into a so call CONtract assistant director post when it's just the lowest grade of the civil service graduate grade.

I guess the job title, assistant director must have attracted you in the first place.

But treat this as a learning experience. Good luck.

Don't agreed with you, go check out all the stat board now... Almost all 1st yr is contract then can convert.. If say, Lta worst.. My friend manager still contract. And you should know it not easy to raise to manager there.. Most retire as senior engineer

(edited)

Don't agreed with you, go check out all the stat board now... Almost all 1st yr is contract then can convert.. If say, Lta worst.. My friend manager still contract. And you should know it not easy to raise to manager there.. Most retire as senior engineer

No need to check, 4 of my friends just joined stat board like IDA, NEA, MHA

last year Oct to Dec period. Same like me, all of them joined as perm staff.

Some joined as senior engineer, some as manager and all perm.

If they offered contract, one can negotiate to a perm position.

As for me, the HR initially offered me a contract job. I negotiate with them

to a perm position.

It's not that difficult to raise to manager. Just need around 5 to 8 years from engineer

to manager.

Edited by Mahjong74

i was in technical line as senior engineer, ok pay is not dat gd. but life is stable come 9am knock off 530pm. got once a yr idle trip to europe by company.

then i think perhpas it is time for me to try management but current no management positions la so decide venture into civil service.

the current company also not expanding in my area of work and i feel most of time not doing much or learning much, becoming very lazy.

oh by the way tis company i joined since graduate for nearly 6 yrs.

then there was advert for assistant director. looks damn big but not much salary increment.

i got the position after 1 interview mmm...very suspicious but it was willing to wait 2mth notice. best thing is during interview they did not even say what they do.

The contract offer say 1 yr contract as with all civil service and convert to perm 1 yr later if good. it is big if

in fact it belong to small instituiton inside a big 'umbrella' statboard, so dificult to get info on it.

i report to lady supervisor.

1st day work the director already yelling away. then from there it is down hill. the director will yell and criticise everybody in morning and run the institution like a stock exchange. he will say thing like 'give this guy the work la, he is paid $xxxx'

i spoke up and the directordislike me from there on.

my lady sup is so scared she will pressure me to details correcting my punctuations and spelling , grammar which i felt is totally humiliating.

she dun know anything so she will major on the minor things. very sianz...

needless to say after 1 yr they decide not renew my contract.

so i jobless.

they did not even forewarn me or even give me warnings as such , just say contratc not renew 1 month prior to end of contract and justify with lousy reasons.

this even cause me to lost a job offer in between the 1 yr tenure even though lower paid as i tot i had a future in tis govt insititution, had i known i would have hop off.

tis event happen few yrs ago, last i heard this stupid director was asked to step down before his retirement age due to too many complains against him liao.

but still it made a mess of my life.

as i think back, would i have make a different decision? i mean life is very very stale at the 1st company, but nice colleagues, ok boss but not learning much or doing much, and a management position came along....how i know it was like a 'trap'

anyway manage to pick myself up and went back to technical line but was arduous journey ut dats another story....

thing is would u choose stability and monotony over change, risk taking, possible failure?

eh, you are an AD but you report to a lady supervisor? so above the supervisor is the director. can tell me what is the designation of this lady?

i can't help but think you are not in the civil service... did you join the wrong company in the first place? [:p]

eh, you are an AD but you report to a lady supervisor? so above the supervisor is the director. can tell me what is the designation of this lady?

i can't help but think you are not in the civil service... did you join the wrong company in the first place? [:p]

AD -> Deputy Director -> Director

Supercharged

AD is nothing in civil service lah. It's not like in private sector.

I tell u, ADs are like AVPs in the banks. Lots of them around in the office and no one reports to them.

I got a friend in MAS. joined as AD also. I thought title v big. KNN, the entire team is all ADs, and they report to the Deputy Director.

So they are just executives in a team and the Deputy Director is the Manager.

No big deal.

surprised that u can prosper and drive porsche with such mindset.

no venture no gain, keyword is calculated risks

(edited)

civil service title very big one. but as i said not much pay increase from senior engineer so i already told u guys in 1st place it is nothing much, but seem some ppl still tink otherwise. y would i lie about unfortunate episode in my life? to curse myself? cos there is nothing to hao lian in my story at all.

fresh grad can be management associate or executive , then A/M, then M then Senior M or AD then Senior AD or DD then D

Edited by Relacklabrudder
↡ Advertisement