My experience working in civil service...

Relacklabrudder

Sometime, you need to go to some places with bad experience, to appreciate what a good environment is like.

Just take it as an experience.

↡ Advertisement

eh, you are an AD but you report to a lady supervisor? so above the supervisor is the director. can tell me what is the designation of this lady?

i can't help but think you are not in the civil service... did you join the wrong company in the first place? [:p]

many levels one

AD -> SAD -> DD -> D

in some ministries, the entry level is AD liao. i think in MTI.

Supercharged

Bro, u must learn one thing in life.

ALWAYS MAKE YOUR BOSS LIKE YOU.

This is the golden rule of all rules in life. No matter what you do, always make yr boss like you. Because even if you got no results or skills to show your competency, so long as yr boss likes you, you will keep your job or even get promoted.

I'm not talking abt curry favor yr boss. No need to carry balls. It's yr attitude and you must show that you are capable of doing the KPIs independently. And also always try to speak the same frequency as your boss. The moment yr boss see that u are in the same mindset, he will like you. Even if you hate your boss to the core, u still must wayang and show that u are in the same mindset.

What was your first mistake in this civil service job? You went against your boss. And it causes your downfall and this explains my above point abt having the same frequency. You don't have to agree to everything yr boss says. But you got to make her feel that while you agree to her point, u also have a better way of doing the task.

Changing jobs always carry a risk that you won't like it. I'm in situation where I'm thinking of jumping ship. I'm in the midst of applying for jobs. But I see some of my ex-colleagues, some are already regretting they went to the new companies.

In this year alone, I got 6 colleagues left my office.

1 resigned the new job (civil service) after 1 month coz of job mis match.

Another one, after just 2 days in the new job, asked herself "what the hell am I doing here?"

Another one is the midst of throwing his towel in because of lousy boss.

So I asked myself do I really want to jump ship? After seeing all these happening? I actually envy them initially when they can get new jobs, but now I see them like that, I'm thinking twice. So now, whatever post I'm applying, I must be v careful and selective. I wont anyhow hamtam any job. Even if title is v big, I will found out the JD and inside company info.

i was in technical line as senior engineer, ok pay is not dat gd. but life is stable come 9am knock off 530pm. got once a yr idle trip to europe by company.

the current company also not expanding in my area of work and i feel most of time not doing much or learning much, becoming very lazy.

oh by the way tis company i joined since graduate for nearly 6 yrs.

Hey brudder i also joined the You-Know-Who's name at 1N after grad, their office politics style is super dense, u join the right project u heng, but if ur head has 2 heads or a viper tongue with split end, then either u learnt how to polish extra shine or else no excellence u do will ever see light, be it paper or patent, cabinet closed! Somemore over there its native killing native underlings, so double exta shiit. My lesson learnt is: FTs there are better colleagues than native, what a dog eat dog worid after grad, phew

Now i join a startup its more fun then working there, somemore i am the king of my trade in the team everyone listens to me heng heng

PS: there's a bunch of low life here wanting to troll every single post so just pretend to ignore them & its fine

TS blamed others for messing up his life particularly his work life!

Basically you are one lame fark to even post such story...

Somemore can say you are some sort of Senior Engineer...or should that be 'was'

Nobody owes you a living and neithier should others who also struggle to make a living.....

Smoothen your working life for you....

You will end as a damn failure if you keep to such attitudes!...I tell you...

But then with the quality of Sinkie I get to see nowadays....

Nothing surprised me at all!

Neutral Newbie

No need to check, 4 of my friends just joined stat board like IDA, NEA, MHA

last year Oct to Dec period. Same like me, all of them joined as perm staff.

Some joined as senior engineer, some as manager and all perm.

If they offered contract, one can negotiate to a perm position.

As for me, the HR initially offered me a contract job. I negotiate with them

to a perm position.

It's not that difficult to raise to manager. Just need around 5 to 8 years from engineer

to manager.

Got colleague join on 2 yr contract as so call manager grade MX10 (Btw MX 9 in ministry is super-scale). So to say manager must be perm is not true.

to be in a management team,

your english not to be that good, it must be acceptable

BUT

when comes to report, your english must be near perfect

what is important in management is PR

your people management skills must be damn kilat

i use to know a higher superior who english is half pass 6

but his man management skill is superb

so good that staffs wiling to help him without any hidden agenda out whenever he hit a brick wall

of course before i gave him my humble advise 1 fine day before he was promoted to management

he was scolding people like nobody business

his empathy was bad

fortunately for him, he met me while we were on same course

my advise to him when he promoted to management

'fark in private, praise in public'

you will earn a respect from all your subordinates

////my advise to him when he promoted to management///

'Advise' is wrong word to use.

Use 'advice' instead.

Please continue brushing up your English. [:p]

my lady sup is so scared she will pressure me to details correcting my punctuations and spelling , grammar which i felt is totally humiliating.

its normal.... my friend told me his boss main job is to vet his report for sentence structure and grammar mistakes.

Civil service also...

my lady sup is so scared she will pressure me to details correcting my punctuations and spelling , grammar which i felt is totally humiliating.

its normal.... my friend told me his boss main job is to vet his report for sentence structure and grammar mistakes.

Civil service also...

Civil service also...

I never worked in Civil service, but in my line of work, there is no time to check petite grammar mistakes. Its more important to be clear & bring out the important points.

Most information are in points form or tables than multiple paragraphs.

i was in technical line as senior engineer, ok pay is not dat gd. but life is stable come 9am knock off 530pm. got once a yr idle trip to europe by company.

then i think perhpas it is time for me to try management but current no management positions la so decide venture into civil service.

the current company also not expanding in my area of work and i feel most of time not doing much or learning much, becoming very lazy.

oh by the way tis company i joined since graduate for nearly 6 yrs.

then there was advert for assistant director. looks damn big but not much salary increment.

i got the position after 1 interview mmm...very suspicious but it was willing to wait 2mth notice. best thing is during interview they did not even say what they do.

The contract offer say 1 yr contract as with all civil service and convert to perm 1 yr later if good. it is big if

in fact it belong to small instituiton inside a big 'umbrella' statboard, so dificult to get info on it.

i report to lady supervisor.

1st day work the director already yelling away. then from there it is down hill. the director will yell and criticise everybody in morning and run the institution like a stock exchange. he will say thing like 'give this guy the work la, he is paid $xxxx'

i spoke up and the directordislike me from there on.

she dun know anything so she will major on the minor things. very sianz...

needless to say after 1 yr they decide not renew my contract.

so i jobless.

they did not even forewarn me or even give me warnings as such , just say contratc not renew 1 month prior to end of contract and justify with lousy reasons.

this even cause me to lost a job offer in between the 1 yr tenure even though lower paid as i tot i had a future in tis govt insititution, had i known i would have hop off.

tis event happen few yrs ago, last i heard this stupid director was asked to step down before his retirement age due to too many complains against him liao.

but still it made a mess of my life.

as i think back, would i have make a different decision? i mean life is very very stale at the 1st company, but nice colleagues, ok boss but not learning much or doing much, and a management position came along....how i know it was like a 'trap'

anyway manage to pick myself up and went back to technical line but was arduous journey ut dats another story....

thing is would u choose stability and monotony over change, risk taking, possible failure?

So this is the exposure you got for about management? It looks like you had a year-long contract job as that company was short-handed. I ever seconded to a company that was sounding me for permanent appointment. Unfortunately, their Managers presented themselves as malingers. I foresee internal politics to out-malinger each other if I were to join them.

my advise to him when he promoted to management

'fark in private, praise in public'

you will earn a respect from all your subordinates

This is a very true statement. I seconded that. :D

////my advise to him when he promoted to management///

'Advise' is wrong word to use.

Use 'advice' instead.

Please continue brushing up your English. [:p]

Another sammyboy follower. [laugh]

normally when i go job hunting or when there is an offer on the table i will make sure its a perm position. nvr believe in contract nvr will. unless u r telling me e contract pays 500K / yr if renew the increment another 50%

civil service title very big one. but as i said not much pay increase from senior engineer so i already told u guys in 1st place it is nothing much, but seem some ppl still tink otherwise. y would i lie about unfortunate episode in my life? to curse myself? cos there is nothing to hao lian in my story at all.

fresh grad can be management associate or executive , then A/M, then M then Senior M or AD then Senior AD or DD then D

It all depends on the person's CEP actually.

CEP- current estimated potential

If you are young and wanna be successfully, forget about civil service

If you are middle age and is looking for a successful career, forget about civil service

If you are old and was still employed, forget about civil service

Civil service are for those who need the salary but cannot find job, for those young ppl who got no ambition, during recession, looking for retirement and ppl who wanna laze around while performing their duties..... Note, the sentence not applicable for white horse, scholar and those got connection with the high profile ppl with our ruling government

↡ Advertisement