Estima hybrid and battery

Tom_kkh

Anyone drive the above?

Am curious how's the FC compared to the normal version.

Btw anyone had their hybrid battery changed before? How muchy?

↡ Advertisement

Rich and green conscious owners don't worry about such things.

Further more 3-5 years down the road, change car already.

Just like iPhone battery weaken.....time to change new phone.

Rich and green conscious owners don't worry about such things.

am just wondering how much difference in FC not Hoa Lian thread ar

cellphone and vehicle batteries are managed differently lah.

Toyota warrant it can last life time of the car (min 10years), iphone can do that?

Toyota warrant it can last life time of the car (min 10years), iphone can do that?

10 years warrenty!?

No worries of faulty batteries than... nice [thumbsup]

Err batteries are batteries. No?

10 years later. The same iPhone battery still can be used and charged. But very very weak.

It's not faulty.

Err batteries are batteries. No?

10 years later. The same iPhone battery still can be used and charged. But very very weak.

It's not faulty.

Yes, all batteries will lost their charge capacity over time.

The difference between iphone or notebook batteries and those in hybrid vehicle or EV are

a) Managing the temperature and

b) Controlling charge state

Many who use notebooks/ipad/smartphone will notice how hot the battery can get during charging and discharging. Same problem will happen to hybrid ones.

So car maker need to cool this temperature. If get too hot, the battery life will be shorten alot.

For charging, there is always a battery monitoring system deidcated to manage the charge state.

If overcharge or depleted too much, the battery lifetime will be shorten also.

All car makers know this issue so they put alot of effort into extending battery life.

E.g Prius even has a computer dedicated ONLY to keeping the battery at the optimum temperature and optimum charge level. They are so concern with the heat problem that Prius is designed to supply conditioned air from the cabin as thermal management for cooling the batteries.

That is why hybrid batteries is not your usual ones that power your iphone.

Yes, all batteries will lost their charge capacity over time.

The difference between iphone or notebook batteries and those in hybrid vehicle or EV are

a) Managing the temperature and

b) Controlling charge state

Many who use notebooks/ipad/smartphone will notice how hot the battery can get during charging and discharging. Same problem will happen to hybrid ones.

So car maker need to cool this temperature. If get too hot, the battery life will be shorten alot.

For charging, there is always a battery monitoring system deidcated to manage the charge state.

If overcharge or depleted too much, the battery lifetime will be shorten also.

All car makers know this issue so they put alot of effort into extending battery life.

E.g Prius even has a computer dedicated ONLY to keeping the battery at the optimum temperature and optimum charge level. They are so concern with the heat problem that Prius is designed to supply conditioned air from the cabin as thermal management for cooling the batteries.

That is why hybrid batteries is not your usual ones that power your iphone.

ok.

I personally feel that hybrids are workable in cold countries.

but in Singapore's hot, hotter, hottest climate, hybrid batteries cannot last that long.

i stay in a HDB with open-space carpark.... maybe thats the reason for my skepticism.

ok.

I personally feel that hybrids are workable in cold countries.

but in Singapore's hot, hotter, hottest climate, hybrid batteries cannot last that long.

i stay in a HDB with open-space carpark.... maybe thats the reason for my skepticism.

Actually, the batteries is at its worst when get too cold as the battery capacity will drop.

Any one who had try using their camera during winter holiday tours will know.

Same issue has been experienced by hybrid owners. That's why during winter, hybrid will auto-start the gasoline engine 1st just to warm up the battery system and owners doing DYI like covering up the front radiator!

In warmer climate, the problem isn't as bad as it actually takes lesser energy to keep cool than to stay warm in colder regions. That's why air-cooled system is sufficient for electric drive system.

We see heavier water-radiator only in conventional ICE engine.

In Singapore's case, the extreme temp can go as high as +35C. In those so-called cooler places like Shanghai, Hongkong, Taipei, etc can easily hit +40C during summer and falling to sub-zerio in winter.

These are the places when vehicles are truly tested.

So I have lesser concern with hybrid/EV system in our less dramatic tropical "hot" climate.

The only enemy hybrid or EV have in tropics are humidity and wetter weather.

ESTIMA owner reporting.

I think I am the remaining estima hybrid owner here. Grix had ditched his estima for galaxy.

Driven here 3.5yrs.

FC between 13+kml

I think petrol version is 8-9kml. If I am right.

There are 2 batteries:

Main battery to power motor, aircon and other drive control equipments,

Auxillary battery for non critical equipment. Such as radio, room lights. This is the usual 12v,maintenance free battery.

It is located at the rear of car.

Temperature and frequent deep discharge cycles affects battery life span.

The nickel metal hydride battery pack weighs 80kg and it is made up of many smaller battery modules. This are packed into a metal casing.

To keep estima hybrids battery cool,the battery packs are installed on the floor between front seats.it is connected to the car's aircon. So cold air will be drawn to circulate and cool the batteries before returning to the ,aircon cooling coil.

There is a battery ECU to manage the battery temperature and voltages.

To prevent deep discharge cycle from damaging battery pack, it will not allow it to drop below 40% capacity.

But if you are to ask me if it is worth to buy estima hybrid , my answer will be a big NO.

Most of your savings in fuel cost will go to paying the additional road tax.

For a 2.4L. I am paying a 3L road tax.

So no incentive.

But the enjoyment of quiet, smooth ride is guaranteed.

But if you are to ask me if it is worth to buy estima hybrid , my answer will be a big NO.

Most of your savings in fuel cost will go to paying the additional road tax.

For a 2.4L. I am paying a 3L road tax.

So no incentive.

But the enjoyment of quiet, smooth ride is guaranteed.

That is the part I HATED the most about Singapore's lip-service about going green.

I did the same calculation myself on the current EV/hybrid road tax and it actually cost more owning a Pruis 1.8 vs my current Wish 1.8 [furious]

Eco-friendly my bulls to LTA/government.

That is very true.

I thought of setting an examle for my kids on social responsibilities, but at the end the learnt an extra lesson of negative opportunity cost of going green in Singapore.

Other hybrid cars are already paying normal petrol engine road tax, but estima hybrid has 2 motors which added up being tax more lah.

My point is that if LTA dont promote, they should at least not discourage as in this case.

Supersonic

Gahmen is always about $$$.

"Green" is just a smoke screen.

If they can't tax you on petrol, some other tax will get you.

I also sold my estima hybrid after owning for 1.8 yr, fuel consumption was 11km/L, personally not worth it

..my Q5 consumption is at avg 10km/L, but with more power n better handling.

Hello,

My ride encountered problem recently on hybrid battery. The car jerk and display panel shown "Hybrid system check". check with my PI, battery replacement cost $6000, workmanship $800. cry.gif

Anyone have any experience on hybrid battery replacement before? Any lorban for good price, good service?

Hope to hear any kind advise.

Thanks

Yes I have and changed Today.

It is between 6xxx to 7xxx depends on model.

My current car is SJP plate. coming 5 years at time of writing this. Mileage is at 171K.

Change by HybridCar, Simon Loh.

I have a piece of mind for my rest of my driving with hybrid.

Trust me I will not go back to my Parallel Importer ever.

↡ Advertisement