8mm spark plug

Yeobh

(edited)

I have not come across a 8mm spark plug with hex 14mm yet. After checking with my mech friends I was told that they are used in Citroen vehicles , BMW mini, Renault etc - mainly European vehicles. Do you have exprience trying to remove such small size plugs, pl share with us the tools you need to access and remove the spark plugs.

Edited by Yeobh
↡ Advertisement

should be able to get those tube wrench (various sizes) from neighbourhood hardware shops, costs anything from $2.80 to $6. If tube is too short, can buy another one of bigger size and stack on top of it. Use a screwdriver and insert into a hole on top to help you turn.

It's ok to use those plumber nut opener with pre 80's Japanese cars but with modern cars especially those from French PSA group ( as I was told) it's tedious and time consuming unless you have the right tools.

Most of the spark plugs are seated deep into the engine block except some old small cap single cylinder motorcycle engine. That's why you need tube wrench or dedicated spark plug wrench and not spanner or plumber nut opener.

Positioning of the plugs could also pose a problem even if you have the right tools (boxer engines layout).

(edited)

The tube wrench is a plumber's tool. To get into deep seated spark plug you need ex long thin walled socket with flexible joint.

post-272-1311750442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

The tool kits that came with the car should have the spark plug socket, no?

Don't think they give anymore. If lucky, only spare tyre + jack.

The tube wrench is a plumber's tool. To get into deep seated spark plug you need ex long thin walled socket with flexible joint.

Most spark plug wrench with flexible joint are standard fixed length (quite short). You can lengthen it by welding an extended rod to it.

Supercharged

I think not many car owners replace their spark plugs on their own nowadays.

I like to play LEGO, I assembled mine from loose components.

Sliding-T-Bar.jpg

MFG_60256.jpg

3_8_UNIVERSAL_JOINT_BJ3_KTC.jpg

b3a-16sp.jpg

During the 70's few of my older friends were involved in running weekend classes on general car maintenance for DIYers. At that time DIYers were car owners who love to do schedule maintenance on their own but some preferred to do as a group. Changing engine oil, doing up the brakes, replacing ignition point and plugs etc etc . As labour cost goes up, those who are handy and have some auto knowledge may again may want to do the minor service/maintenance themselves if time and place permits .