Beware the 'Windows Service Centre' scam

Funner

Neutral Newbie

Letter from Rex J Morais

16 Aug 2011

Today

I am writing to warn your readers, after somebody claiming to be from a "Windows Service Centre" telephoned me about so-called error messages from my computer.

The line was passed to "senior technicians" who, to some extent, convinced me that my computer had serious malware and spyware and that my firewall was corrupted.

I was asked to download and install a software, "Teamviewer'" (which enabled them to control my computer), and to pay S$171 to get my software fixed or risk losing all my computer data within a few hours.

As I could see that some changes were being made to my desktop, I promptly disconnected from the Internet, uninstalled the software and restored my computer to its previous settings.

I realised it was a scam and a subsequent search online confirmed my suspicions. The scammers even gave a phone number, 8001012199, which does connect to a so-called "Windows Service Centre".

There must have been other victims and I hope more are now forewarned.

↡ Advertisement

Data gone gone lor. I have my trusty WD and Backup DVDs with me.

Never trust all these online claims and scams.

There is no way they can detect, scan or whatever they claim stuff on your computer without remote access.

The only possibility is being hacked, but then, the best you can do is to log off and reformat your com in that instance.

I came across a similar scam before, they will call up and is looking for Mister <your surname> or Misses <your surname> if they

hear a female voice.

They will say that your email account have been sending out malicious emails and they would like you to turn on your computer and

they will guide you into providing "evidence".

Word of advise, do not follow their instructions. How to determine if they are scammers? Just ask them to which of your email account(s)

and the email address that is sending the "malicious" emails. They will try to change the subject and request that you turn on your computer.

After I hang up on them, they got the guts to call back and scold me and called me "socially irresponsible". I got pissed off and went to make a Police Report.

Letter from Rex J Morais

16 Aug 2011

Today

I am writing to warn your readers, after somebody claiming to be from a "Windows Service Centre" telephoned me about so-called error messages from my computer.

The line was passed to "senior technicians" who, to some extent, convinced me that my computer had serious malware and spyware and that my firewall was corrupted.

I was asked to download and install a software, "Teamviewer'" (which enabled them to control my computer), and to pay S$171 to get my software fixed or risk losing all my computer data within a few hours.

As I could see that some changes were being made to my desktop, I promptly disconnected from the Internet, uninstalled the software and restored my computer to its previous settings.

I realised it was a scam and a subsequent search online confirmed my suspicions. The scammers even gave a phone number, 8001012199, which does connect to a so-called "Windows Service Centre".

There must have been other victims and I hope more are now forewarned.

You never backup?At most system can restore at a cost say...$30.