Volkswagen Sharan..

VellfireS

Got a lot of accessories I bought online which left quite a lot of as Wife does not allow to install. PM me if anyone keen to buy over.

I had my SE install a heavy tinted solar film on the sunroof as the sun shade is quite useless. The solar film cuts off most of the UV thus reducing the heat substantially even when the shade is not closed.

I tried a few round with various tinted film. Basically installed 4 times. Some of the heavily tinted film will have a lot of reflection. Too dark also cannot see the blue sky. Finally settled with 3M crystalline-40. Not so dark and yet can shield the hot sun off.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

hi Sharan owners, just wondering if you have solar film installed on the sunroof too? Is this from the AD?

Anyone bought any accessories? Am interested in getting the boot liner.

You better check with VW on the model of 3M film, I asked them before signing contract and they told me all are crystalline version. But when I registered online and released they bulls**t, only the front seat windows has crystalline version, the back seat and rear windows were all installed with lower grade version. Suppose to be CR40 become HP35. The solar rejection rate performance drop from 66% to only 42%.

• Praise 1

You better check with VW on the model of 3M film, I asked them before signing contract and they told me all are crystalline version. But when I registered online and released they bulls**t, only the front seat windows has crystalline version, the back seat and rear windows were all installed with lower grade version. Suppose to be CR40 become HP35. The solar rejection rate performance drop from 66% to only 42%.

ok thanks, will check with SE, though I suspect everyone who receive the free solar film will get the same thing. 

• Praise 1

Saw a white F/L Sharan (SLH5xxx) on PIE on last Saturday afternoon with 3M Premium Plus Package, and the back row tint seems to be very dark. Is that the standard package you got from VW? From 3M website, Crystalline is another type / grade of film, diff from the standard package.

• Praise 5

Saw a white F/L Sharan (SLH5xxx) on PIE on last Saturday afternoon with 3M Premium Plus Package, and the back row tint seems to be very dark. Is that the standard package you got from VW? From 3M website, Crystalline is another type / grade of film, diff from the standard package.

During my signing, I was told that my package shall be 3M crystalline for all Windows and screen. However, I found out during warranty registration, only the front windscreen and front seat windows are crystalline film. Behind are 3M premium plus. Felt a bit short changed as most customer will not verify and check. Go for crystalline if possible.

By the way, VW will not install those dark film on the windows for you. as standard practice, they will install sure 110% LTA compliance tint Color.

• Praise 1

1 Month Review

The car arrived more than a month ago, but less than a week after collection, we went for a family vacation. However now after more than 2000km, and 4 refuels, I believe I have enough for an overview.

Performance and Handling

Coming from the B6 Passat, the Sharan feels very familiar.

The acceleration is more than sufficient, especially when overtaking. 350Nm definitely moves this heavy beast. Off the line, the factory-fit Continental tyres are less than sufficient to tame the engine, often resulting in wheelspin when enthusiastic acceleration is called upon. The pull all the way past legal speeds is invigorating, as is the guttoral engine note at WOT - I now know why the GTI is the most popular car in the VW range.

The 6-speed DSG in "normal" auto mode feels like a standard automatic gearbox. Even when using the paddles, it does not have the snappy gearchange I expected. But knock the lever to the left, and then the DSG shows it's true mettle; changing gears faster than humanly possible (I used to speedshift my stickshifts and this is something else).

The steering feel is very remote, almost vague...and although the light weight feel of the flat-bottomed wheel hides feedbaclk from the tyres, there is a distinct response to inputs that allows one to get the vehicle sorted out in most situations. I haven't had the chance to drive in anger around a fast sweeping bend, nor attempted to hurl around a tight corner, but I can get the inside wheels squealing on occasion, and never does the car feel like it is losing it (I have definitely felt out of sorts in the Passat over the years, even fishtailing on the rare occasion).

Braking is sufficient, with decent feel after the initial vagueness. It does not bite hard, but is it is pretty progressive, without any distinct fade even after repeated stops from unmentionable speeds...and I dare say that left-foot trail braking into a fast corner does not seem to upset it; it invokes confidence to a large extent.

The large size of the car is pretty daunting, especially when I park at home in my small narrow driveway. But around on the roads, I no longer find myself guessing about the placement of the tyres, and can almost feel the car start to shrink around me. It is still a heavy car with a high-riding centre of gravity, and you can feel it when correcting in the midst of a corner. Fortunately, the ride is setup well, and only the hardest of braking causes the car to dive quite a bit, but it never overwhelms the front.

Interior and Comfort

For an MPV without a massive Boxy shape, this is probably the most comfortable sub-5metre people mover. The front seats are the most plush, and feel like they come straight from the Passat, and with alcantara (just like my B6 Passat), with electronic adjustments to allow my wife and I to select our favourite positions; but the biggest (and most notable) gripe about the car is the lack of memory seats. My 9 year older Passat had 3 memory positions, which automatically moved the seat and side mirrors to the right position for each driver (even the turn-down position for parking).

The back 2 rows of seats are enough for all to feel like they are not rubbing shoulders and with adjustments to move forward and back, with a little play on lean angles. Seatbelt detection for all 7 seats means the driver (and passengers) will be made aware if anyone unbuckles while the vehicle is in motion (with an audible "ding").

With 4 (yes this is NOT a typo) 12V points, including the cigarette lighter, I have been able to add more than 10 USB charging points for my family's devices, as well as the car devices (GPS, dashcam...) I do wish the position of the 12V was not so weird (3 are in between the front seats, and the last one is behind the 3rd row)

Each row of seats is large enough for the average Singaporean to fit in without dreading a long ride. I am confident we can make it to Penang without my teenage son complaining. Ingress for rear passengers is also more than sufficient. I do admit that the sliding doors protrude more than I expected and I can no longer park just next to a wall that is next to my C pillar, having to leave almost a foot of gap to allow for the door to fully open.

The 2 side seats of the middle row even comes with a built in booster chair, so I no longer need to carry a car seat for my youngest child. It is so easy to use, he pushes it into place and happily buckles up each time he gets into the car.

The individual aircon vents for all passengers and 3-zone climate control are a godsent,; my 4 kids can sit and not fight over where the vents are pointing. Aircon is also circulated at the floor level through a myriad of vents in the front 2 rows.

Even with all 7 seats occupied, I could easily fit a whole trolley of groceries into the "boot", and that was with my usual "car barang barang" in place. As my kids no longer use a stroller, my previous worry of having to fit food and pram at the same time is no longer an issue, but I am pretty sure with some origami, all would have fit into place.

With the last row folded, the Sharan becomes like a large station wagon, with all the usual amenities provided (removable cover, cargo nets, special divider to prevent animals and other loose items from smashing into the passengers). The rear seats easily fold flat without having to access from the middle row, and can be pushed back into place with a little more finesse required.

The panoramic roof extends all the way back above the 2nd row, so passengers have a good view of everything in front and above. It is a liberating experience driving under the landing airplanes along the PIE towards the airport, and see huge wings, engines and the lowered gear of the aircraft from beneath.

Then we can talk about sound insulation... and how quiet the car is on the road. Similar to when I first got my Passat, this car is so quiet and cruising on highways so insulated that I didn't realise I was speeding most of the time... until the letter from the TP arrived. Unless provoked with a heavy right foot, road, tyre and engine noises are practically mute, as are the traffic sounds from vehicles around. I am pretty sure that even at autobahn speeds, I could have a conversation with my passengers without having to raise my voice.

Gadgets and Stuff

The latest "facelifted" car is still from the previous generation of VWs, so the usual instrument gauges with central multi-function display is less stunning than the latest full LED screen of the B8 Passat. You can use the steering mounted buttons to change the media, settings and even access the phone connected to the car. But it does take a bit of time to get used to the 8 or 9 buttons on each side of the steering wheel.

The infotainment system provided, although the lowest of the current range of VW units, is more than capable of connecting to a phone via Bluetooth, and even has Android Auto for those with such phones. The full range of VW Android Apps is not available in the Singapore Google Play Store, and I don't see that happening any time soon. But I am more than happy to have Spotify blasting through the factory fitted speakers, which can be tuned based on the position of the listener. The bass is less than stellar, but the rest of the range of sounds are decently balanced for something so "cheap". I do wish the difference between Bluetooth volume and Radio volume was not so great, as I end up with blasting loud radio after switching from my phone media.

The autohold feature which I got so used to in the Passat is not only present in the Sharan, but turns on by default when the car is started (in the Passat, I had to activate it each time I got into the car). The auto-start-stop is a little intrusive, but a lot better than the Audi version I sampled years earlier, with about 1 second lag from prodding the throttle to actual movement. For those who don't like the hesitation, it can be easily deactivated on the central console. I simply lightly touch the throttle to start the engine moments before the light turns green to avoid hesitation.

The DSC seems to be more intrusive, often activating when I am driving on lightly undulating surfaces (carpark imperfections or even junction crossings with a rise in the middle). Similarly, the system kicks in when accelerating hard while turning... but I suppose that is a good thing.

The built in tyre-pressure system is also a wonderful standard item to have, and I no longer have to keep checking.

I do wish the car came with Blindspot indicators, rear crossing video feeds, lane departure warnings and other safety features, along with memory seats (at least for the driver). A remote engine start would also be appreciated, and a better android auto GPS app too.

But this is a "basic", large, comfortable, flexible family car and I should be happy with what it already comes with....especially that GTI engine and gearbox.

Summary

This is now my 4th car, and throughout the progression, I have not only bought an increasingly larger car, but I am happy that I managed to get a faster and more powerful engine each and every time.

Edited by Presea
  • Praise 14

1 Month Review

The car arrived more than a month ago, but less than a week after collection, we went for a family vacation. However now after more than 2000km, and 4 refuels, I believe I have enough for an overview.

Summary

This is now my 4th car, and throughout the progression, I have not only bought an increasingly larger car, but I am happy that I managed to get a faster and more powerful engine each and every time.

Thks for the comprehensive write up and good to hear you are happy with this car [thumbsup]

Any feedback on the FC? Is it comparable to your Passat or better? Thks!

• Praise 3

wah sibei detailed.

Good review. You really expounded your thoughts on all subjects of the car lol.

Summary

1 Month Review

Bro, very good and detailed review. Exactly how I felt as well in every aspects! When I drove to Malacca, it was a very good and comfortable road trip.

Thanks for the good review. I browse thru the spec sheet of the new Sharan, and it seems that the is no cruise control. Is it true?

have cruise control

but it no longer a stalk below the signal stalk like the pre fl but are buttons on the steering wheels instead.

Thanks, Bro.

SE called and asked me to book the Sharan at coming Motor Show at Suntec. Freebies include 3M solar film and front/back car cam. Forgot to ask if 3 yrs free servicing is included.

Thks for the comprehensive write up and good to hear you are happy with this car [thumbsup]

Any feedback on the FC? Is it comparable to your Passat or better? Thks!

Considering the more powerful engine (220 vs 160) and the 20% weight penalty, I am surprised that fuel consumption is only a little affected. Based on 2000km+, I am getting about 7.75-8.25km/L.  For my Passat, it was about 8.5 to 9.

Bro, very good and detailed review. Exactly how I felt as well in every aspects! When I drove to Malacca, it was a very good and comfortable road trip.

Actually, I re-read my statement... I should have been more clear.

My family vacation was in hong kong.

So for those 2 weeks, the car was stationary on my driveway :P

I should make a trip up north, but wife has not been keen on going.

The last time we crossed the border for a holiday was in 2009.

Thanks for the good review. I browse thru the spec sheet of the new Sharan, and it seems that the is no cruise control. Is it true?

Cruise Control is standard.

But I prefer the older version with all the cruise control settings on a separate Stalk.

So many buttons now... and I often press the wrong one...

wah sibei detailed.

Good review. You really expounded your thoughts on all subjects of the car lol.

15 years ago, I used to be very active in MCF with postings, weekly meetups, convoy drives up north

I added lots of reviews too, on cars, tyres... Oddly, most of my posts are long gone...

Considering the more powerful engine (220 vs 160) and the 20% weight penalty, I am surprised that fuel consumption is only a little affected. Based on 2000km+, I am getting about 7.75-8.25km/L.  For my Passat, it was about 8.5 to 9.

That's good FC actually, thks for the feedback, friend getting this car and was worried on the FC.

• Praise 7

That's good FC actually, thks for the feedback, friend getting this car and was worried on the FC.

Actually, I drive pretty hard (the GTI engine is just so easy to provoke).. and because I do a school run, I am stuck in crawling traffic for about half an hour most weekday mornings

I think most people should get better FC

Edited by Presea

Bro Presea, if you have owned or driven the 2nd Superb 2.0TSI, I believe your view would have been different...

A few things the Skoda are still better then the F/L Sharan, imo:

- Auto hold function

- Braking performance

- Sound system

- Auto folding wing mirror

- Gear shift at Low speed (closer gear ratio)

FC wise, the newer gen EA888 found in the Sharan coupled with the coasting function and auto start stop system do wonder in improving the travelling range. 12Km/L with 60% highway travel is doable, no joke...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10