Australia: Migration Agencies For Australia

Tonicwater

wah seh... he muz be very well with contacts around aussie... if not y the amount???

You only need around 5-8yrs experience to get that amount (excluding super aka cpf, 9%). I bet this amount will be before tax. After tax will be somewhere around 6k and thats not really a lot considering the much higher standard of living.

I'm not knocking off anyone who is thinking of migrating because of money. But theres a lot of details which average "foreigner" wouldnt know until you live in the country. Migrate because of your kids' future and for work life balance should be the upmost important factor. Not saying it applies to everyone but it does for most professionals. However, if you're a tradie/labourer (e.g. electrician, welder etc), you'd definitely be paid much higher in Australia comparing to Singapore.

A lot of Singaporean always emphasis on the fact that HDB only 99years, not yours. Yah thats true but seriously how many people actually live in 1 property for 30yrs let alone 99yrs? I see this as typical human nature where something is hard/impossible to get, you will want it more. The financial burden of owning a HDB for average household is bugger all with CPF assistance and extremely low interest rate. I cant say for other countries but the burden is much higher in Australia to own a property. However, if you own a car in Singapore, that will more than likely be your main financial burden.

Cars here are dirt cheap but seriously, you will see the "pain" when you have a decent size mortgage (as they saying goes, Li Shang Jia Li). I dare say if you dont have a significant (above 50k) assistance from parents to buy a property in Australia, you will struggle if your household income is less than 80k before tax. Average property price will be around 400-450k (at least) easily regardless of property type. You may get slightly cheaper apartments/townhouse for around 380k in suburbs BUT the body corporate (maintenance fee) will make your monthly payment be almost equivalent to having a 400k mortgage. And, not every country is safe like Singapore (although not as safe nowadays). Not every location will be considered safe for living for us. And you will find propertys around 300-350k there but in most cases, they will be quite rundown. Now, you'd be wonder how much interest on homeloan? Say 5.5% now and this is historical low. Based on my research on past interest rates, homeloan rates will be around an average of 8.5-9% over the span of the loan.

↡ Advertisement

I'm going to address the valid points (be it positive or negative) in my blog. Appreciate the inputs.

I will just say this here. There can be no perfect place in the world. But there can be better places for some people, which are worse for other people. It's really up to the individual.

I have heard of so many people regret migrating to Oz or NZ, believe it or not. But how many more who migrated are happy? I know loads of Singaporeans here who SAY they want to migrate there, but either have reasons or excuses not to try. Of these people, I can guess that at least SOME would be happier in Oz (or whatever foreign country)

My wife and I are walking the talk. We don't like this place, we do something about it. If all goes well, our farewell gift to our fellow countrymen here will be our final vote in 2016.

I hope the CPF ponzi scheme hasn't collapsed by then [shakehead]

All the best! [:)]

When you settle there, please tell us how you enjoy your new country other than the fact that cars are cheap [:)]

Do take in the open space, avoid the racist people but be friendly with those who are not. Remember to take it easy and don't bring Spore's kiasu-ism there hor..... All the best again

Replying to you here because I won't be addressing your response directly in my blog.

Actually ah, cars not that cheap in Oz. Much more expensive than USA... for e.g

Also more ex than UK.

But still much cheaper than SG. [flowerface]

Cars are not the only reason. I guess this does warrant a more in-depth blog post, though the reply would be rather oblique.

Kiasu? We will strive to not be SEEN as kiasu over there. Agree with you on this.. We will focus on the good things over there and try to be happy. At least we have spent close to 30 years in SG so as not to take the good things over in Oz for granted [nod]

thanks for sharing.

i also want to share some info.

if the requirement mention need x years working experience, make sure you really have complete x years experience.

example: need 10 years experience, you have only 9 years 8 months proven by reference letter from ex-company, better no need to apply.

for my case, they really check and send email again to clarify, on what other base/ proof you have x years work experience, because from the paper you submit only x years x months.

Basically what you are saying is: DON'T hiong.

You are spot on. Aussie Immigration makes this point very clearly. any false info means kiss Oz PR goodbye. Unless can create new fake identity AND a whole collection of supporting documents. That's not very likely to happen if one got it wrong the first time.

Thankfully for us, my wife is damn good with details. I see her potential to be a migration agent in future, IF we successfully migrate.

Btw, not that anyone has asked us for it, but non-migration agents are not allowed to provide tailored migration advice [lipsrsealed] . So our line is that we are just sharing our experiences, and everything posted can be found on open source/official sites, or we went through the process personally

The Australian economy is starting to look rather shakey. 20+ years of expansion, and many of that on the back of digging stuff out of the ground and sending to China, can only continue on for so long. I have many friends in Australia and they all say that times are tight and preparing for the worst. They say the cost of living has gotten out of control and hard to live within their means.

Tks for sharing bro. U posted to work in Germany? Really envy u! Actually I studied abroad in OZ for 3 yrs back in 2003. Should hv stayed in OZ like most of my sg frenz did. Made the biggest mistake in my life returning to sg! [bigcry][bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

Then I say, make plans to go back there.

Life is too short to have regrets.

I know I will regret not trying to migrate. In the extreme worst case Oz doesn't work out for my wife and I AND we cannot find yet another country to try, we could consider coming back to Sg knowing we have fought a good fight.

I literally cannot see anything good about Sg. Well, besides our (dying) hawker culture and low INCOME tax. I am serious enough about re-creating the creature comforts of SG that we experimented with Prima Taste pre-mixes and learned how to cook some of the simpler local dishes that we may crave for over there. Having seen Prima Taste products even in ulu Tasmania, I have full confidence of obtaining the whole range in Melbourne.

I have sold my car, months ahead of the move. Now trying to sell our Bukit Batok 3-room flat. This is not an ad per se, but I will refer you to my agent if I get a PM about this. It's within 10 min walk from the MRT... [:)]

are you the boyboy who saw my car with mcf sticker at plaza sing many years ago and came to say hi?

i may be wrong :D

Kiasu? We will strive to not be SEEN as kiasu over there. Agree with you on this.. We will focus on the good things over there and try to be happy. At least we have spent close to 30 years in SG so as not to take the good things over in Oz for granted [nod]

Good work on the blog. Its good to see you're having the DIY attitude because that will help you a great deal when you're here. I did my application myself years ago and seriously its not as hard as everyone make it out to be. You just need to read the website and follow the instructions.

The kiasu bit, I can say Australian will not lose to us. Knn I remember when there was a boxing day sale or some major pre Christmas sale, the Dynamo were all snapped up the sale day when I went at night (ang moh suburb). And guess what? They still have that the at the Chinese/Asian suburb when I drove over. Maybe they stock more but I highly doubt because the ang moh shopping centre is bigger.

I literally cannot see anything good about Sg. Well, besides our (dying) hawker culture and low INCOME tax. I am serious enough about re-creating the creature comforts of SG that we experimented with Prima Taste pre-mixes and learned how to cook some of the simpler local dishes that we may crave for over there. Having seen Prima Taste products even in ulu Tasmania, I have full confidence of obtaining the whole range in Melbourne.

Rest assure we have the full range. I always have a few Laksa and Mee Siam in my cupboard. Most authentic premix I've ever tried.

If you're choosing Melbourne as your destination, you'll love the environment. Big city but with a bit of european touch. Plenty of good food around and in my opinion nicer and cheaper than all other cities. Groceries are cheaper too.

The Australian economy is starting to look rather shakey. 20+ years of expansion, and many of that on the back of digging stuff out of the ground and sending to China, can only continue on for so long. I have many friends in Australia and they all say that times are tight and preparing for the worst. They say the cost of living has gotten out of control and hard to live within their means.

It was 4months ago but we're beginning to see a little bit of light over the last month. Whether or not that light will be covered by clouds again, nobody knows. I know because I'm work in the mining industry and we do feasibility study/design work.

are you the boyboy who saw my car with mcf sticker at plaza sing many years ago and came to say hi?

i may be wrong :D

Really no idea. I can't remember. Was the "boyboy" handsome or not?

I give u clue. I am not [blush][laugh]

(edited)

Wah mining... I don't hear reassuring things about the sector. At least looking ahead. But I hope I am wrong

Anyway, if the storm hits, it won't just be Australia. I guess good personal financial management IS necessary no matter where one is staying.

My consolidated replies to the other folks is here

Btw, I am quite amused to hear you suggest the Aussies could be even more kiasu than us in some ways... I guess we are too quick to claim it as a uniquely Singaporean trait. Because most of the PRCs in SG seem to thrash us hands down in this area

Edited by Boyboy

Hi there

Any bros been through the process of relocating to Australia?

I have several questions i hope to get some help.

1. Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonable mover company to ship stuff over to AU?

2. On a 457 can we immediately purchase a car? I heard that we are not able to purchase a car with cash and full payment and must take a loan.

Thanks!

• Praise 1

1) What kind of stuff are you looking to move over? Which state are you moving off to? 

2) The type of Visa you're on does not determine whether you're able to purchase a car.

If I remember correctly, all you need is to have a driver's license which is pretty easy for you to convert from a Singapore driver's license into an Australia driver's license. You will require a valid address which you can either use your bank statement and any other documents that shows the declared living address.

Whoever you have heard the "must take loan" is definitely not very sure of what they are talking about. You're probably going to have tougher time taking a loan since you're on 457, just pay cash will do. 

• Praise 1

Hi there

1. Can anyone recommend a reliable and reasonable mover company to ship stuff over to AU?

2. On a 457 can we immediately purchase a car? I heard that we are not able to purchase a car with cash and full payment and must take a loan.

Thanks!

Which part of Aussie are you moving to? even student can buy car, 457 visa or not doesn't matter, in fact with 457, i don't think you can take a loan even if you wanted to.

I would suggest buy a bigger car like a SUV when here, easier when you buy big item like TV or Ikea furniture.

• Praise 1

1. How many containers load? If LCL, you may want to consider DHL jumbo box and put them into few boxes and have them delivered to your doorstep. Check if there's any special paperwork/restrictions involved for personal effects moved without being accompanied.

Sea shipments may appear cheap, but can be "tricky" and expensive if LCL. Both ends last mile costs usually cost more than sea freight cost.

Also, most professional movers don't entertain ad-hoc business from individuals.

But, you can just try to call the few movers like Asian TigerTrans, Family Movers, Crown etc  in SG to enquire.

Hi there

Thanks!

• Praise 1

Moving to VIC

and looking at boxes of personal items (maybe 20+ boxes?)

A quote i got for SHARED shipment (damn long must wait 3 mths)

Estimated Volume / Weight : 30 Cartons(49 x 49 x 50)cm, 10 Standard carton ( 58 x 40 x 38) cm

Door to Door Cost : S$2000.00

Australian Quarantine Fee : A$165.00 - Payable in Australia

Sailing Frequency : Every 4-6 Weeks

Port Of Entry : Melbourne

Transit Time : 14 Days

Customs Clearance : 14- 21 Days

Moving to VIC

Estimated Volume / Weight : 30 Cartons(49 x 49 x 50)cm, 10 Standard carton ( 58 x 40 x 38) cm

IMO perhaps you can consider bringing the more important stuff over first, you can get additional weight baggage from the airline etc.

Besides, if you're ready to spend $2k on freight cost, you might as well use that $2k to replace the personal item. 

For those item you die die cannot replace, then you might want to consider down sizing the quantity/size/amount and ship out those item first via DHL or Fedex. 

Moving to VIC

Which part of Victoria? When are you coming over?

↡ Advertisement