Mini Cooper queries

Lucaswh

1st Gear

Hello guys, sorry to dig up this old thread.

Was contemplating between the Mini One 5-Door and Merc A180 after visiting both show rooms last weekend.

Been able to dig up quite a bit of resource for Merc A180 but not for Mini.

I would be using the car as my primary mode of transportation, so I would be driving quite a bit.

Is anyone able to share with me their thoughts on the reliability of a Mini One and also the maintenance involved in a Mini?

Thanks!

Hi,

1.How do u find both car after the test drive

2.Also very much depend on your lifestyle and is mini your 2nd car

3.how big is your family etc

↡ Advertisement

1st Gear

Hi,

This might have been asked many time I Guess.

Planning to get a second hand Mini Cooper S.

Just wondering many mentioned of high maintainence. What exactly is that? Does breakdown easily? Monthly expenses? Or rather is just normal servicing every 10k? Sorry for the noob.

i just bought a 9 years old MCS, nothing done yet so cant comment much but going to workshop soon as something is wrong as everyday i need to top up 500ml of water which im sure it not normal.

Maintenance will be more ex if u are comparing with Japanese car as parts are more costly and very naturally the workmanship cost will be higher.

Better to bring a technicians along as he should able to spot some tell tale sign of leaking etc, most important does the mini fits your lifestyle as it more friendly for 2 pax  

i just bought a 9 years old MCS, nothing done yet so cant comment much but going to workshop soon as something is wrong as everyday i need to top up 500ml of water which im sure it not normal.

Maintenance will be more ex if u are comparing with Japanese car as parts are more costly and very naturally the workmanship cost will be higher.

Better to bring a technicians along as he should able to spot some tell tale sign of leaking etc, most important does the mini fits your lifestyle as it more friendly for 2 pax  

9 yr old already.  Skip all repair & maintenance.  Use until scrap.

Are you sure parts are more costly?

Turbocharged

I had a pal who bought roughly 7/8 year old mini but he brought it down to a mini workshop to check thoroughly before putting the money down. Cars of these age need a good checking, don't say mini any ill maintained conti car of this age will also be suspect.

• Praise 2

I had a pal who bought roughly 7/8 year old mini but he brought it down to a mini workshop to check thoroughly before putting the money down. Cars of these age need a good checking, don't say mini any ill maintained conti car of this age will also be suspect.

That's including Jap, Korean or China car hor.

5th Gear

this car will bring you fun and joy. be a proud owner of mini. preventive maintenance is needed.

I do my interim oil change at espace and full servicing at mini habitat.

Mini engine bay is very tight resulted in very hot environment.  It is best to change plastic piping to aluminium to avoid future problem.

1st Gear

Oic,anw I already change the Thermostat n hoses so should solve the problem.

Btw u also driving a mini?

1st Gear

Yup it fine but I went to MCF Auto in kaki bukit.

The boss is very knowledgment and I just replace the Thermostat n hoses

• Praise 1

Mini engine bay is very tight resulted in very hot environment.  It is best to change plastic piping to aluminium to avoid future problem.

Is this still an issue for the newer Mini using BMW designed engines? 

Hi guys.

My battery went flat just now? Appreciate it if someone can let in on how much it cost to replace the battery? First time mini one owner here. =)

Get it replaced under warranty unless your car out of warranty.

Rem to change it every 2 yrs after that

Mini LCI 2018

mini-cooper-s-3-door-hatch-2018-1.jpg

2018-MINI-Cooper-S-rear.jpg

Externally, mainly the full circle LED DRL in the headlamps and availability of matrix LED headlamp options as well as 3D customisable side scuttles, rear lamp cluster union jack pattern.

Mostly tiny cosmetic changes as what we expect from mid life refresh but most significant I think will be the transmission changes.

6D0EBBEF-8851-4713-9DA1-2D1190BB6FB8-105

Since 2017, Mini has been phasing in the 7 speed DCT in to the model line-ups:

Screen-Shot-2017-09-26-at-10.54.33-AM-1.

This year, all most all AT will be 7 speed DCT except for the performance D and JCW versions. Reason being 7 Speed DCT cannot handle the higher torque from these versions.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-26-at-11.43.54-AM.pn

• Praise 1

Read in ST the new Mini One comes with a 1.5T engine and 7-speed gearbox but the century sprint is just 10.5s, why did they tune it down? To fit into Cat A?

↡ Advertisement