Mini Cooper queries

Lucaswh

Ya Lor. It's too new. I owned 2 cars with the Prince engines before and one had engine issues at Year 3, the other in less than a year. Both are probably dead now. So I Guess it's a gamble, unless the car comes with a tried and tested engine that has been refined over the generations to fit into today's model.

Oh, ok.  i think you already answered.  Bought in 2011 should be the Prince.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Ya Lor. It's too new. I owned 2 cars with the Prince engines before and one had engine issues at Year 3, the other in less than a year. Both are probably dead now. So I Guess it's a gamble, unless the car comes with a tried and tested engine that has been refined over the generations to fit into today's model.

I am driving R56 with Prince engine.  The car has been on the road for 2.5 years with 25k km.  I have no issue with engine.  Only claims key fob, battery & wiper pump fluid from Eurokar le.

Main diff between the BMW & MINI is that former RWD, latter is FWD.  BMW is 8AT, MINI is 6AT.

How bout in terms of the electronics?  Are MINI(s) also laden with loads of sophisticated electronics like BMW?

So far, a friend with the MC, has clocked 60+k km with no issues (over 5yrs)....at least by her account.  She waits for engine oil change light to light up b4 changing EO.  Wont be surprised if she also believes it has 'lifelong' GB oil.  *sweat*

Most Mini nowadays are laden with sophisticated electronics since it is owned by BMW.  For eg, if comfort access key fob button battery is low, there will be error message prompt.

For Mini, battery needs to be diligently changed every 2 years.  Otherwise, prepare to call Roadside Assistance.

8AT by ZF are known to be very good in terms of performance, but less likely to last the entire lifespan of the car in Singapore.

6AT by Aisin known to be very reliable but not as fast-shifting as the ZF 8 speed.

The previous generation Mini Cooper on the Prince engine have known issues that contributed to breakdowns... unresolved after many years and now abandoned and replaced by the all new 1.5-litre and 2.0 litre engines.

Whether fast shifting or not, i think it depends on software.  For R56, despite using Aisin, it downshift aggressively and fast.

I don't think the switch out of Prince engine is due to reliability.  Pre-LCI F30/F20/F21 is using rear wheel drive version of Prince engine.

The only reason it was discontinue due to moving all engine to the new modular B block.  B block is used for both petrol & diesel engine.

Thanks for the info.  Like that Petrol or Diesel, I will take the Aisin 6AT   [thumbsup]

If the MINI Cooper was bought in 2011, will it be the Prince engine or the current 1.5 inline 3 TC?

In BMW stable, all FWD platform uses Aisin box.  That's including the latest X1.

2011 R56 Mini Cooper should be 1.6L NA.

• Praise 1

Well if you have ever spoken to Peter at Espace Service, he may share with you his experiences with the Prince engines and problems with it.

I remembered I installed an aftermarket drop-in air filter by BMC... after a while i went back to service the air filter. The entire frame of the air filter disintegrated due to high heat in the engine bay.

My 2nd Prince engine, i developed turbo failure and gasket leak within a year of ownership... zzz... 

Well if you have ever spoken to Peter at Espace Service, he may share with you his experiences with the Prince engines and problems with it.

I remembered I installed an aftermarket drop-in air filter by BMC... after a while i went back to service the air filter. The entire frame of the air filter disintegrated due to high heat in the engine bay.

My 2nd Prince engine, i developed turbo failure and gasket leak within a year of ownership... zzz... 

Thanks for the info.  Which year was your last Mini?

I think all LCI R56 is using BMW N18B16, which is more reliable than generic prince engine. 

Engine bay heat is a known issue.  That's why there is aftermarket turbo heat shield.

How are the Mini servicing costs like with regards to the newer 1.2 and 1.5 triple?  Anyone have any feedback?

I think there is 3 years free service le from Mini.

I think there is 3 years free service le from Mini.

Thinking of a used one, hence wondering how are the mini servicing costs and service is like.

Thinking of a used one, hence wondering how are the mini servicing costs and service is like.

Mine also used.

I had been doing oil change in Mini for the past 2 years & it is about 200+ each time.

So far, i am happy with Mini service.

• Praise 1

The owner of 2011/2012  MC I spoke off earlier had that 3yr free servicing.  Hence when I ask about basic, medium, majr servicing, she all don't know. 

But heard from her getting close to 12km/L though.

• Praise 4

my 5 years old cooper changed water pump and engine support at 60kkm mileage. As of engine so far no issue

with servicing at every 8kkm.

was looking at the new cooper too but wish to monitor for a while for it reliability. new engine on the mini does not

come with a oil check dip stick and could be an issue later. the bmw low oil sensor may not work properly after awhile.

as long as you do preventive maintenance and regularly service your mini (NA service every 8kkm and TC service

every 5kkm), your engine should be able to last.

enjoy your ride.

Hi,

Can point me to some sites for more info on audio upgrades or accessories for the Mini Cooper 3 day in SG? Thanks!

What kind of audio upgrades?

Most of us buy from US of A le.

Neutral Newbie

Well, I am anticipating that I might want to have better sound (but I know it is a deep rabbit hole if I go down that path). Trying to Google to find 3rd party accessories or upgrades for consideration. Could be fittings, cosmetic or ICU improvements.

Whether fast shifting or not, i think it depends on software.  For R56, despite using Aisin, it downshift aggressively and fast.

I don't think the switch out of Prince engine is due to reliability.  Pre-LCI F30/F20/F21 is using rear wheel drive version of Prince engine.

The only reason it was discontinue due to moving all engine to the new modular B block.  B block is used for both petrol & diesel engine.

In BMW stable, all FWD platform uses Aisin box.  That's including the latest X1.

2011 R56 Mini Cooper should be 1.6L NA.

Is the new 1.5T 3 cylinder 6AT (Aisin?) FWD or RWD?

Do you think it will be more reliable than the R56 LCI with N18B16 ?

Is the new 1.5T 3 cylinder 6AT (Aisin?) FWD or RWD?

Do you think it will be more reliable than the R56 LCI with N18B16 ?

Mini has always been FWD. All BMW FWD is Aisin. Mini still using 6 spd.

I think it is as reliable as N18.

Mini has always been FWD. All BMW FWD is Aisin. Mini still using 6 spd.

I think it is as reliable as N18.

Thanks!

I've always thought mini were RWD. Haha!

Are they on Macpherson strut / multi link setup or double wishbone all round?

Thanks in advance. You're the mini & E39 expert. So asking you won't go wrong.

↡ Advertisement