• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
86 replies to this topic | 53 praises

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

hi,

i understand the banks & Singapore Mints do charge a levy for converting coins to notes.
Are there any ways to do it for free? After all these are legal tender!

i got around 2k of coins, it's a habit of mine.

Jamesc praised this
bluey Tiko Ranger

I have a pen, I have an apple..

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:55 PM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

use them when buying small items. Pay $2 in coins instead of $2 note. $2K coins don't go far if you use some everyday.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:59 PM

Tjkbeluga
  • Premium member
    Tjkbeluga
    Supercharged
    Author Image

hi,

i understand the banks & Singapore Mints do charge a levy for converting coins to notes.

I'm sure lots of hawker shop and school canteen would accept it.
Latio Premium Sedan

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Fookie
  • Premium member
    Fookie
    Clutched
    Author Image

hi,

If you have kid below 7 years, head to POSB and open kids saving account. You can deposit coins into the account through coin deposit machine. Just remember to drop the report slip back into the quick cheque deposit box. In this way they will return you the deposit fee which they deducted.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

Good-Carbuyer

hi,

I do find 1-cent and 5-cent coins a puzzle to use.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

SimonTan
  • SimonTan
    Banned

Interestingly....hawkers and taxi drivers all want coins!!

Just packed up in $10 bundles and approach any hawkers, they will thank you for it.
As you are helping them to avoid the bank charges for buying coins too!!

It's a win-win situation for everyone.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

SimonTan
  • SimonTan
    Banned

The self service coin acceptance machine at POSB does charge service fees!

If you have kid below 7 years, head to POSB and open kids saving account. You can deposit coins into the account through coin deposit machine. Just remember to drop the report slip back into the quick cheque deposit box. In this way they will return you the deposit fee which they deducted.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

David
  • David
    Supercharged
    Author Image

hi,

Use the coin deposit and bank it into owns account. After that how many $10 and $50 notes up to you.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Can also accumulate until all these metals appreciate till more than its minted value.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

hi,

Go to hawker and ask whether they want or not.....of cos no one will change 2K at one go...you may try a few hawkers....sooner or later, you will get rid of them...

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

The self service coin acceptance machine at POSB does charge service fees!

Read his post properly... deposit into kids account is free, but have to drop the slip into the cheque deposit to ask them to refund back into the account. Nett charge is still zero.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Interestingly....hawkers and taxi drivers all want coins!!

Just packed up in $10 bundles and approach any hawkers, they will thank you for it.
As you are helping them to avoid the bank charges for buying coins too!!

It's a win-win situation for everyone.

yeah, i guess it's time for me to start packing them.. lazy to do so laugh.gif

over the past years, what i did was simple.
i just bring them to sheng Siong, leave them for a day or two.
Once ready, they will give me a ring for collection.
No charge, a win-win for both parties.

bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Use the coin deposit and bank it into owns account. After that how many $10 and $50 notes up to you.

but still subject to bank charges rite?
bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Kurty
  • Premium member
    Kurty
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Go to hawker and ask whether they want or not.....of cos no one will change 2K at one go...you may try a few hawkers....sooner or later, you will get rid of them...

yeah.. imagine bringing 2k of coins and go LTA to renew road tax. laugh.gif
bluey Tiko Ranger

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I also have abt 1K of coins to deposit. This is what I found :

http://www.singapore...ements.php?id=7

You can now deposit your stash of circulation coins (second series only) at our Coin Gallery using a new Self-service Coin Deposit Machine:

The Singapore Mint - Coin Gallery
20 Teban Gardens Crescent Singapore 608928

Operating Days:
Mondays to Fridays (closed on public holidays)

Operation Hours:
8.30am to 11.30am & 1.00pm to 3.00pm

The coin deposit is the same exercise done at banks where you can deposit your coins in exchange for banknotes. However, please note that we do charge a nominal fee to cover the cost of processing the coins. This is generally cheaper than bank charges.

For every 1000 pieces of coins (regardless of denomination), the charges are at S$3.75 and the balance coins are pro-rated accordingly (i.e. 300 pieces /1000 pieces X 3.70 = S$1.125). All prices stated includes GST charges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free coins depositing services at the following locations:

Date Venue
11 to 22 Aug 2011 Sembawang Town Council - Woodlands Office
11 to 22 Aug 2011 Sembawang Town Council - Civic Centre Office
13 to 24 Sep 2011 Sembawang Town Council - Yishun Office
13 to 24 Sep 2011 Sembawang Town Council - Nee Soon Central Office
27 Sep to 10 Oct 2011 Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council - Ulu Pandan Office
28 Sep to 11 Oct 2011 Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council - Bangkit Office

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Vega
  • Vega
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

exchanging them with coffee shops or hawker is easy. the difficult part is carrying them around. i also have a few K of coins which i have collected for the past decade.......

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

D3badge
  • D3badge
    6th Gear
    Author Image

hi,

if u own any club membership, just go to their jackpot room wink.gif

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

Raymondism
  • Premium member
    Raymondism
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hi,

organise futsal and give change in coins..

i am sure if you pack your coins in smaller packs and approach coffee shops.. they will change with u

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

LoverofCar
  • Premium member
    LoverofCar
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

yeah.. imagine bringing 2k of coins and go LTA to renew road tax. laugh.gif

In fact, that's nothing wrong and they cannot reject you as you are paying using a legal tender....just that, they will curse you inside out.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

''Don't take life too serious...learn to forgive and forget..after all.....no one get out of life......alive''

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

Mllcg
  • Premium member
    Mllcg
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

In fact, that's nothing wrong and they cannot reject you as you are paying using a legal tender....just that, they will curse you inside out.... laugh.gif laugh.gif

cannot leh.

that time got article saying only up to certain limit can use coins.

after that is notes nia

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Changing, coins, notes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users