Motor Universe Enterprise - Liar

Rubberstamp

So I think buying an used car is just luck. You test out the car, you like the ride, you buy it, as simple as that. Of course I'm not encouraging meter adjusting and I am also not a car dealer, but frankly, all this mileage adjustment is not longer new, it had been "practising" for decades...................IMHO

I agree! I have seen 150,000 km cars in much better condition than 50,000 km ones. It is not about the mileage. It is about the car itself, the wear and tear parts, the cheap items that wear and tear, the expensive items that wear and tear, etc then you weigh the pros and cons, the pricing, the depreciation, how much you gotta spend replacing parts, etc. If good deal, get it!

Before buying, get the car mechanically checked by reputable workshop or STA. Insist on going down yourself and ask the mechanic all kinds of questions. Engine, transmission, chassis, these are the big money items and can tell you the sad story of the car (accident, abuse, improper maintenance, etc) Suspension, brakes, exhaust, cat converter, tires, all that are relatively cheap. Don't get sweet talked by the dealer. New tires so what? New brake pads so what? Most important are the expensive and not easily replaceable things.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I bought a car from sgcarmart from a direct owner, mileage stated 38k. But found documents inside the car stating 70k. Called owner, owner say dont know wat happen. Report police, police say not in their ' framework' . Ask me to engage lawyer. Obvious cases also no use... Must have money to engage lawyer. So don think owners here don temper mileage. Am very suprise that police don take action. The police can still tell me things like maybe the owner change to more sporty meter, that's why.. Can use this excuse if you are caught red handed, and tell them this excuse from singapore police force. Bukit timah coronation branch.

Neutral Newbie

I bought a car from sgcarmart from a direct owner, mileage stated 38k. But found documents inside the car stating 70k. Called owner, owner say dont know wat happen. Report police, police say not in their ' framework' . Ask me to engage lawyer. Obvious cases also no use... Must have money to engage lawyer. So don think owners here don temper mileage. Am very suprise that police don take action. The police can still tell me things like maybe the owner change to more sporty meter, that's why.. Can use this excuse if you are caught red handed, and tell them this excuse from singapore police force. Bukit timah coronation branch.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...769&DL=1163

This is my relative's car.

He just sold it a few weeks back.

I had dinner with family yesterday and he told me his mileage was 63k km.

And not what is advertised.

Buyers beware of them!

I wonder why TS want to "sabo" the dealer? Afterall, the dealer bought the car at the agreed price from owner, no dispute. So let them make a living.

I don't see the dealer advertised the mileage of the car? I can only see low mileage. So what is considered as low mileage, up to new buyer's interpretation.

I wonder why TS want to "sabo" the dealer? Afterall, the dealer bought the car at the agreed price from owner, no dispute. So let them make a living.

I don't see the dealer advertised the mileage of the car? I can only see low mileage. So what is considered as low mileage, up to new buyer's interpretation.

he advertise as 45k km.

but soon after i posted this, the mileage was removed

Neutral Newbie

[laugh] good what got freebies....buy eg ek even more... [laugh]

lol..but the dealer kept saying the car is stock..after that the salesman show the pissed off face when i showed him the parts tat are changed..

so u pity the dealers and not the person buying the car?

imagine the owner bought it at "50k" but was actually 100k and sold before the time to change timing belt. and it snaps at 10k more.

whos responsible?

Yes, I saw it too, it was advertised 45k km and later deleted.

But TS, hope no offence. Don't post this kind of thing next time lar, very sensitive topic!!!

Call it a day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :excl:

he advertise as 45k km.

but soon after i posted this, the mileage was removed

hmmm, maybe all sellers should start taking photo of their mileage. If dealer temper it, can easily blackmail them a few $K :D

I did take photo of the mileage when I handed over my car. Guess what, the advertised mileage was adjusted. I called the dealer and told him, he say clerical mistake. The next moment, the advertised mileage was adjusted back to normal. [laugh]

Can teach me how to blackmail them???

I did take photo of the mileage when I handed over my car. Guess what, the advertised mileage was adjusted. I called the dealer and told him, he say clerical mistake. The next moment, the advertised mileage was adjusted back to normal. [laugh]

Can teach me how to blackmail them???

Never blackmail - that's against the law. Instead threaten to publicly shame them with evidence. Make it unconditional so it cannot be considered blackmail. If they quickly change the ad, it's up to you whether you want to relent.

But it doesn't stop their pattern. If I were you, I'd just do it from the start instead of giving them warning, so everyone can blacklist them. Best is to pose as a prospective buyer and go and photograph the car, car plates and odo. Or get a friend to do it, in case they recognise you - this is better because he also serves as an independent witness if they threaten legal action. If you want to be a bit more drama, put a newspaper (with clearly printed date) next to the odo and the car when photographing them - that way, you eliminate the argument that you adjusted the date on your camera. Better to have also done this before you sold your car.

Now you have an IRONCLAD chain of evidence. The car was initially photographed while within your control at your premises, at an earlier date, with a HIGHER mileage; then photographed while within the dealer's control, at their premises, at a later date with a LOWER mileage. Publicise this to ST, STOMP and all the car fora, and cc them a copy of the email.

Break their ricebowl? Too f'in bad. We need to take these slimeballs down one at a time. It's up to us to seek justice since the gahmen seems to have lead in its ass. [rolleyes]

(BTW, even after getting all this evidence, never directly allege they've altered the mileage themselves - since they can always try to flip prata and claim it was done by another dealer before they received the car, or whatever nonsense. Always state that they're advertising a car which appears to have had its mileage altered (but you never directly state it's them. This will already do enough damage to them, and "save" some prospective buyers.)

Edited by Turboflat4

If you viewed the car at the owners home, with the stated IC address and went to LTA to do the transfer together, then most likely it's a true direct owner. Yes in this case, this owner is not honest.

Do note that many direct owner in sgcarmart or not truly the real owner.

If Singapore law got bite, these car dealers would have not dare to change the mileage.

Certain things are uncontrollable in Singapore no matter how much you sue and complain.

Lucky plaza and SLS are the two clear example of survival of the fittest and strongest!!

Never blackmail - that's against the law. Instead threaten to publicly shame them with evidence. Make it unconditional so it cannot be considered blackmail. If they quickly change the ad, it's up to you whether you want to relent.

But it doesn't stop their pattern. If I were you, I'd just do it from the start instead of giving them warning, so everyone can blacklist them. Best is to pose as a prospective buyer and go and photograph the car, car plates and odo. Or get a friend to do it, in case they recognise you - this is better because he also serves as an independent witness if they threaten legal action. If you want to be a bit more drama, put a newspaper (with clearly printed date) next to the odo and the car when photographing them - that way, you eliminate the argument that you adjusted the date on your camera. Better to have also done this before you sold your car.

Now you have an IRONCLAD chain of evidence. The car was initially photographed while within your control at your premises, at an earlier date, with a HIGHER mileage; then photographed while within the dealer's control, at their premises, at a later date with a LOWER mileage. Publicise this to ST, STOMP and all the car fora, and cc them a copy of the email.

Break their ricebowl? Too f'in bad. We need to take these slimeballs down one at a time. It's up to us to seek justice since the gahmen seems to have lead in its ass. [rolleyes]

(BTW, even after getting all this evidence, never directly allege they've altered the mileage themselves - since they can always try to flip prata and claim it was done by another dealer before they received the car, or whatever nonsense. Always state that they're advertising a car which appears to have had its mileage altered (but you never directly state it's them. This will already do enough damage to them, and "save" some prospective buyers.)

Haha. Where our consumer laws fail, we need to step up.

If everyone follows your way or may follow your way, it will definitely add a layer of difficulty for fraudsters.

In fact, if I am dealer I would not do this, because may be held hostage by a disgruntled staff later who has been collecting such photos all the while!!!! [laugh]

can check out the job scope of police? All civil servant job scope is very clearly stated.

next time must take screen shot, otherwise difficult to justify.

yupyup... but actually as mentioned by other bros. almost every single car that passes by in this industry gets some " treatment"

why not give us this owner tel and name?

so u pity the dealers and not the person buying the car?

imagine the owner bought it at "50k" but was actually 100k and sold before the time to change timing belt. and it snaps at 10k more.

whos responsible?

I don't pity the dealer but I am of the opinion that when you sell your car to someone, we just hands-off. Of course if you have a close friend who wants to buy the car, you may want to sound him out but not a public statement. In fact most direct owners also don't admit their car involved in accidents too. Does it make them better than a dealer? Just my personal opinion.

Anyway, 63K adjusted to 45K is not really much. Just make it feel good for new owner. No timing belt to snap. It also helps the next owner to sell this car with a lower mileage in future :)

It is well known "secret" that mileage is often dialed back. Just look at most used cars in dealers hand, mileage is generally low while if you beep at odometer of those cars parked in public car parks, they are usually higher. Does it ring a bell?

↡ Advertisement