Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
402 replies to this topic | 663 praises

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:06 AM

Lammy84
  • Lammy84
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hey guys, planning a driving holiday to taiwan end oct. anyone done a driving trip with an itenary to share? 6d 5 night thanks!
Starting city is taipei
2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

Hey guys, planning a driving holiday to taiwan end oct. anyone done a driving trip with an itenary to share? 6d 5 night thanks!
Starting city is taipei

I am planning to have one next year.... waiting for your field report after the trip, hehehehee biggrin.gif
Maseratigood and 1 Anonymous member praised this
我地呢班打工仔, 通街走直头系坏肠胃, 温个些少到月底点够驶(吃个鬼), 咪话无乜所谓, 最弊波士郁的发威(癫过鸡), 一咪系处系唔系就乱黎吠, 哎亲加薪块面拿起恶睇(扭下计)...我地呢班打工仔 一生一世为钱币做奴隶, 个种辛苦折堕讲出吓鬼(死比你睇),半斤八两 就算有福都无你享...

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

Dice
  • Premium member
    Dice
    4th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Honestly I don't dare drive in Taipei or prolly anyway Taiwan coz firstly their mrt is very well connected (in Taipei) at least and secondly if u see how crowded the streets can be and how the bikes ride it will definitely be as stressful as driving in sg peak hrs and third being a city parking may not be easy to find since they are prolly in buildings and charges unsure... Just my view.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Csw87
  • Premium member
    Csw87
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Yea! the public transport network in Taipei is very well connected so driving is not really helpful around the city. However if you go to Kao Hsiung and TaiChung then driving is probably the best way to go. IMO, much of the scenery is outside taipei so exploring outside is a must if you are not keen to shop. He Huan Shan and Taroko gorge is nice to drive around.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

Yea! the public transport network in Taipei is very well connected so driving is not really helpful around the city. However if you go to Kao Hsiung and TaiChung then driving is probably the best way to go. IMO, much of the scenery is outside taipei so exploring outside is a must if you are not keen to shop. He Huan Shan and Taroko gorge is nice to drive around.

or hitch a ride from the many xmm riding their little motorbikes?? biggrin.gif
我地呢班打工仔, 通街走直头系坏肠胃, 温个些少到月底点够驶(吃个鬼), 咪话无乜所谓, 最弊波士郁的发威(癫过鸡), 一咪系处系唔系就乱黎吠, 哎亲加薪块面拿起恶睇(扭下计)...我地呢班打工仔 一生一世为钱币做奴隶, 个种辛苦折堕讲出吓鬼(死比你睇),半斤八两 就算有福都无你享...

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Lammy84
  • Lammy84
    4th Gear
    Author Image

not planning to spend all the time in taipei, planning to drive around the whole taiwan. start taipei, follow the eastern part down south, turningwest into the central cross highway towards the easten end then up back to taipei. any good plan for 6-7 days?

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

• Premium member
    6th Gear
    Author Image

NS time.
Convoy green vehicles from Kao Hsiung to North only.

Left hand drive, Chinese road signs.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

not planning to spend all the time in taipei, planning to drive around the whole taiwan. start taipei, follow the eastern part down south, turningwest into the central cross highway towards the easten end then up back to taipei. any good plan for 6-7 days?

our libraries or bookshops may have travel guide books on such driving trips, taiwan publishers are good in covering topics including self-drive travel plans..... smile.gif

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:37 AM

Davidtkl
  • Davidtkl
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Make sure u take the tunnel to yilan.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

Icet3382
  • Icet3382
    Clutched
    Author Image

5-6 days might be too short to cover the whole of taiwan island

my tried and suggestion:
Day 1: Taipei to Puli (chocolate and honey)
Day 2: Puli to ChingQing (Hill drive and farm visit)
Day 3: ChingQing to Hua Lian to Chia Yi (famous for Ye Shi)
Day 4: Chai Yi to Alishan to YuShan to Dong Pu (most scenic drive and hot spring hotel at Dong Pu)
Day 5: Dong Pu to Shui Li to Sun Moon Lake to Puli and back to Taipei

if you are a foodie... this route will bring you to many local food not found in Taipei City

Notes:
Left Hand drive, taiwan is hilly, so the junction are not straight so might be confusing,
many bikes zoom around with no regards to direction,
Rent a car and ask them for GPS machine
locals outside taipei are very friendly, might overrun time.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

I will do a driving trip one day, do you think 10 to 14 days is good? (whole of taiwan) thanks

5-6 days might be too short to cover the whole of taiwan island

my tried and suggestion:
Day 1: Taipei to Puli (chocolate and honey)
Day 2: Puli to ChingQing (Hill drive and farm visit)
Day 3: ChingQing to Hua Lian to Chia Yi (famous for Ye Shi)
Day 4: Chai Yi to Alishan to YuShan to Dong Pu (most scenic drive and hot spring hotel at Dong Pu)
Day 5: Dong Pu to Shui Li to Sun Moon Lake to Puli and back to Taipei

if you are a foodie... this route will bring you to many local food not found in Taipei City

Notes:
Left Hand drive, taiwan is hilly, so the junction are not straight so might be confusing,
many bikes zoom around with no regards to direction,
Rent a car and ask them for GPS machine
locals outside taipei are very friendly, might overrun time.

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

Rezorn86
  • Premium member
    Rezorn86
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I will do a driving trip one day, do you think 10 to 14 days is good? (whole of taiwan) thanks

unless u knw the road there very well think shld be ok.. but when u back to SG u will be very shag..
The Stig's Singapore Cousin!!
I Love Lada!!

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Rezorn86
  • Premium member
    Rezorn86
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Anyway for those driving in TW, rmber the keep right rule as they r left hand driver side(heard from my dao you), drive with care n dont turn to the wrong lane of the small road(make my mistake b4 during a 2 day F&E drive around).

Edited by Rezorn86, 10 November 2011 - 06:02 PM.

The Stig's Singapore Cousin!!
I Love Lada!!

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

unless u knw the road there very well think shld be ok.. but when u back to SG u will be very shag..

ya, understand what you mean:- after a few days in a left-hand-drive country, coming back to sgp i feel 'disoriented' for a few hours on the roads... sad.gif

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

Icet3382
  • Icet3382
    Clutched
    Author Image

14 days will be optimum

From Hualian - taitung - ken Ting - Heng Chun - Ping Tung - Kao Shiung - Tianan - Chai Yi -> contine on the mountain drive i mentioned earlier on.

also note at traffic laws are very strict in taiwan, espically speeding and fines are very high.

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

14 days will be optimum

From Hualian - taitung - ken Ting - Heng Chun - Ping Tung - Kao Shiung - Tianan - Chai Yi -> contine on the mountain drive i mentioned earlier on.

also note at traffic laws are very strict in taiwan, espically speeding and fines are very high.

sounds good!!
i have driven (but SAF landrover) from heng chun - ping tung - kao shiung - tainan.... but mainly on country b-roads, not highways sad.gif

definitely looking forward to my trip in the next few years biggrin.gif

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Any field report from TS, planning such a trip at end of this year, Maybe Taipei to Taichung, not sure got time to go all the way to Kaohsiung? Planning a 8 days trip.
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

Jaywhy
  • Jaywhy
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

just to share my personal experience, for guys who intend to drive during their winter season.

I planned to drive from hualien up to taroko, then stay one night at he huan shan, then drive to taichung. but apparently hehuanshan esp the top wuling sometimes will have snow. so snow/bad weather they will close the roads. so they said if i wanted to drive, i had to have a car with snow chains. so i had to shelve my plans and book a cab at an exorbitant price (cuz my accom was booked alr)

and also they have timings for road closure also. so the cab that i booked was initial d-ing all the way cuz he had to bring us to our accom in hehuanshan and reach a certain gate before 4pm iirc if not he will have to make a big detour from taichung just to go back to hualien apparently. totally spoilt the trip, and i almost vomitted upon reaching my accom. no kidding.

but i must say the windy roads of hehuanshan and taroko gorge make for an awesome drive!
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Voodooman
  • Voodooman
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

So would you recommend a self drive? I have been to Taipei and the traffic is challenging for a foreigners, especially Singaporeans more used to keeping tomthe rules, but I heard outside Taipei, it is quite manageable.

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Kiadaw
  • Kiadaw
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I just google, & the hehuanshan is quite scenic. When it snow, almost looks like the Alps or something.

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: Taiwan, road, trip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users