Taiwan: Road Trip - Taiwan

Lammy84

driving is fun but not going to be easy thou.

a switch from right hand drive to left hand drive will be a hassle! especially checking out the traffic =/

I think that depends on individual.

I can get into a manual left hand drive car and just drive off. On the road just feel driving own car back Home.

I am going in mid Nov for 5 nights (Cingjing and Taipei).
At first, plan was to hire a driver when out of Taipei and using public transport while in Taipei. Seems ok and many people have done it this way.
Later, thought why not do a self drive. Granted it's my first time doing LHD but some preparation, gps, google maps, I believe it should turn out fine. Furthermore, this makes me much more keen on the trip.
Probably overkill, but will also be renting a SUV for a different experience.

Taiwan is not known as a road trip country like OZ, NZ and US.. Probably because many westerners are afraid of not recognising the road signs (which are mostly in Chinese)

But but but.. Since most of us have no problems reading/understanding basic chinese (even in traditional script), why go the conventional way (of taking trains or hiring cars with drivers)?

Just rent a car, and off you go.. enjoy driving on roads you can't find in SG (or even Malaysia). And their road condition is very good, even for rural roads.

At this moment, i have this route planned.. 500km, with good mixture of highways and winding roads

https://goo.gl/maps/1lBpb

Anyway, for mountain roads, a saloon may be better due to the lower CoG.. safer to corner

Edited by Shull
  • Praise 1

Lol, they drive on the "wrong" side of roads. Some people just find it difficult to acclimatize. [:p]

Taiwan is not known as a road trip country like OZ, NZ and US.. Probably because many westerners are afraid of not recognising the road signs (which are mostly in Chinese)

But but but.. Since most of us have no problems reading/understanding basic chinese (even in traditional script), why go the conventional way (of taking trains or hiring cars with drivers)?

Just rent a car, and off you go.. enjoy driving on roads you can't find in SG (or even Malaysia). And their road condition is very good, even for rural roads.

At this moment, i have this route planned.. 500km, with good mixture of highways and winding roads

Anyway, for mountain roads, a saloon may be better due to the lower CoG.. safer to corner

Lol, they drive on the "wrong" side of roads. Some people just find it difficult to acclimatize. [:p]

I've previously driven in Europe.. 1st 15 min or so, i kalang kabut.. turn into wrong lane.. afterwards, i actually find it more natural to drive on the right side of the road..

I thought we are the ones driving on the wrong side of the road, since we drive on the left and they drive on the right.

Of course, our cars are RHD and theirs is LHD.

Can be confusing, but that's found I look at it.

I would done a similar route to yours, however only have time for 3 days of driving:

Day 1: Taipei > Yeh-liu > Jiufen > Shifen > Taipei

Day 2: Taipei > Cingjing

Day 3: Cingjing > Hehuanshan > Taoyuan Airport

Still, glad to know that fellow forumers have done or going for self drive in Taiwan and that roads are very good there. Probably some things need to get used to, other that LHD vehicle, is the driving habits of the locals and the weather conditions.

Found the following article which provides some useful insights of the local conditions (a bit biased though imho, when I read it), http://www.michaelturton.com/Taiwan/driving.html

• Praise 1

I would done a similar route to yours, however only have time for 3 days of driving:

Still, glad to know that fellow forumers have done or going for self drive in Taiwan and that roads are very good there. Probably some things need to get used to, other that LHD vehicle, is the driving habits of the locals and the weather conditions.

Found the following article which provides some useful insights of the local conditions (a bit biased though imho, when I read it), http://www.michaelturton.com/Taiwan/driving.html

The last time i was there, i was planning to go for Taichung-Cingjing-Hualien(return car at Hualien).. But due to road closure between Hehuanshan and Taroko, i had to turn back and return the car at Taichung (and skip Taroko and Hualien altogether).

And i notice, many westerners are not used (or do not know) that motorcycles IS a daily form of transport for many people in Asia, so everytime they come to Asia and drive, they keep complaining about local "suicidal" motorcyclists.

Just a couple of months back, i drove in Indonesia, at night, in rural mountainous road without street lighting, on a manual transmission car. After that, i told myself, "fark, i drove in these kind of condition, i can drive anywhere".

Edited by Shull

Not so difficult lah. Just need to remember the other half of the car is on the right, so you will not keep too much to the right side.

Believe me, even though you see a lot of motocylist, they are a lot better than boleh land. And on highway they are not allow.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

No so difficult lah. Just need to remember the other half of the car is on the right, so you will not keep too much to the right side.

Believe me, even though you see a lot of motocylist, they are a lot better than boleh land. And on highway they are not allow.

Wait til you see Vietnam.. even worse than Bolehland.. (and yea, i drove in Vietnam before, just not in the big cities)

I also hoping to plan another driving trip there. But too bad, wife said last Dec just went so don't want to go to the same place.

I planning to drive to the east coast during my next visit, since last year already visit central mountain -- Cinjing & Hehuashan.

Taipei > Yilan > Hualian > Taipei

Oh yes! Talking about local conditions...

I had a punctured tyre en-route to Miaoli. There were rocks on the mountain roads due to landslides, and some rocks were quite big and would definitely crash your car. Need to slow down at bends as a huge rock could be sitting in the middle of the road suddenly. However, the small/medium rocks could be the culprit for my puncture. I've attached a photo of the rocks.

Fortunately, I was reaching my hotel and had only realised the puncture after I have parked. It was a cut on the edge of the rubber and not a sudden burst of tyre. So, do check for spare wheel and wheel replacement tools in your rented car. Luckily, the hotel staff were so helpful and offered to help.

Also, look out for stray dogs on the road in the rural areas and mountains. Some could just be lazing on the tarmac enjoying the beautiful Taiwanese countryside.

Drive with extra care and drive safe :)

post-74617-0-13842900-1411102980_thumb.jpg

post-74617-0-50300400-1411102985_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Btw, which company you guys rent cars from in TW?

Avis quoted me TWD 9900 for 5 days of rental of Ford Focus 1.6, including GPS and one-way-fee..

Edited by Shull

Wow. Didn't know there is a thread on this! [;)] I have been posted to Taiwan for about a year now. Currently located in Taichung. Have did a round trip last year December. And yes went up to hehuanshan to catch a glimpse of the snow. It is a must go if you happen to be in Taiwan during that period. Bear in mind it doesn't snow the whole of winter but probably around 10 to 15 days. The only way to know is to watch the news. There are control over the no. of cars that can go up since most taiwanese upon knowing there is snow will camp overnight on hehuanshan. Road control are somewhere between cingjing and at junction that split to huan lien and wuling nong chang. Basically, my weekends are usually spent driving around in my company car to sight seeing places. Have finished all the main attractions and now are going for the smaller attractions which usually singaporeans won't go. Thinking of visiting hehuanshan again this year when it snows. [:)]

For those renting cars, I think you will need an international license. I have Taiwanese driving license. ^_^

Edited by Xiaoyuer86

Btw, which company you guys rent cars from in TW?

Avis quoted me TWD 9900 for 5 days of rental of Ford Focus 1.6, including GPS and one-way-fee..

I rent from this company, I think they are the AD for Toyota car. Their car are all Toyota.

You can pick up the car at airport, Taipei main station or Taichung train station.

https://www.easyrent.com.tw/English/Car_Rentals.html

Wow. Didn't know there is a thread on this! [;)] I have been posted to Taiwan for about a year now. Currently located in Taichung. Have did a round trip last year December. And yes went up to hehuanshan to catch a glimpse of the snow. It is a must go if you happen to be in Taiwan during that period. Bear in mind it doesn't snow the whole of winter but probably around 10 to 15 days. The only way to know is to watch the news. There are control over the no. of cars that can go up since most taiwanese upon knowing there is snow will camp overnight on hehuanshan. Road control are somewhere between cingjing and at junction that split to huan lien and wuling nong chang. Basically, my weekends are usually spent driving around in my company car to sight seeing places. Have finished all the main attractions and now are going for the smaller attractions which usually singaporeans won't go. Thinking of visiting hehuanshan again this year when it snows. [:)]

For those renting cars, I think you will need an international license. I have Taiwanese driving license. ^_^

When I went up Hehuanshan, the previous night there was some light snow. By the time I was there it was in the afternoon, most of the snow had already melt. But the scenery there and Wuling was [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup] .

Here's some photos :)

With this snow, you will need wheel chain for the tyre already. I don't think car in TW are fitted with winter tyre.

Edited by Tohto
↡ Advertisement