• Reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic | 25 praises

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:21 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

An article by Chen Show Mao:-

SERVICE: THE ROLE OF GOVERNMENT
Now, let me talk about service as a role of the government.

As I see it, our government's central task to serve Singaporeans.
You may say, "Yes, of course." But I am not sure if we always remember to use that yardstick to measure the success of our government policies.

To me service means putting at the center of things the object of our service.

The question is simple, it is a matter of perspective, who will be at the center of things, that is all. Is it the people of Singapore, or some measure of gross development or growth, that has over time been taken as a proxy for what's good for Singapore.

For instance, when the economy grew by 14%, as it did last year, but median household income grew only 3%, or 0% after you adjust for inflation, then we need to ask "who is all this growth for?" Who is at the center of all this economic growth if most Singaporean households barely kept pace? I have come to meet many more Singaporeans in this situation since my return.

It has got to be: all this economic growth will go to benefit MOST Singaporeans, in the long run if not necessarily in the short run.

But is that the case?

SERVANT LEADERSHIP

In his National Day dinner speech in Ang Mo Kio, the Prime Minister said that we've got to “keep on getting our economics right, our policies right and our politics right”. All three are important, and we need to get our politics right in order to get our policies right. It is what I have been talking about. It is our aim. I believe that through well- functioning multi-party Parliamentary politics, we will get more responsive government policies that put at the center of things the service of the people of Singapore.

Some of our leaders worry about that. ESM Goh Chok Tong warned that Singaporeans must “choose between pragmatic and populist politics”. In pragmatic politics, Singaporeans will accept measures with short-term pain but long-term gain. "In populist politics, they want immediate gratification and ignore the long-term costs.”

He is right. I face the same problems everyday: do I go jogging today or not? I'm often tempted to avoid short term pain at the expense of long term gain. In politics, people often vote the same way. Now let's talk about populist politics.

Populist politics pose a real danger to Singapore. That is why we criticize the government's populist policies such as making opposition wards last in queue for Lift upgrading programs, and making cash distributions to citizens just before the general elections. These populist policies have the effect of linking votes to lifts and to cash in the voters' minds, and appear to pander to the voters' worst instincts. They focus the voters' attention on the very short term, instead of what may be good for the country in the long term.

These populist policies were put in place by a government with an overwhelming majority in Parliament. So Singapore has always had to face the temptations of populist politics. And if one feels that, on the whole, Singaporeans in the past had chosen well between populist and pragmatic politics. Then there is no reason to feel overly concerned that we will not continue to do the same, just because we have now made the pragmatic choice of giving the opposition a few more seats in Parliament.

In the face of the temptations of populist politics, I don't think the solution is to say: Let's have fewer voices. Instead we should have more voices. Voices to educate, to reason, to persuade. If you feel you know better what is good for the people you serve, then, as a Servant, you need to make that case to them in a fair and unbiased manner.

The truth is many of us look to our government leaders, our Servants, for guidance and leadership. We want to learn from our leaders and make progress. We welcome help to make up our minds. But that final decision is ours to make. That is key. The added burden of PERSUASION is a necessary (and welcome) burden that must be taken on by our leaders who aim to serve in the new normal. Ultimately it is their duty to respect our decision, including the decision to elect opposition MPs to represent us in Parliament.

NOW, THAT to me, is Servant Leadership.

Friends, We live in a democracy in which the people are sovereign, and our politicians are not rulers of the people, but are public servants. We must remember this, even as we look to our politicians for leadership. I believe our country needs every woman or man who is willing to come forward to serve. To step forward and offer to play a bigger part in public life, in the life of our community.

The way I see it. At this point in our nation's history, the act of coming forward is an act of public service. Taking the first step forward makes half the journey.
The way I see it. When you choose to embark on your journey of service, you may feel that the steps you can take are just too small. BUT you know something? -- you will be a source of strength, encouragement and inspiration to the people around you.

Come, friends, step forward, do what you can.

THANK YOU.

我地呢班打工仔, 通街走直头系坏肠胃, 温个些少到月底点够驶(吃个鬼), 咪话无乜所谓, 最弊波士郁的发威(癫过鸡), 一咪系处系唔系就乱黎吠, 哎亲加薪块面拿起恶睇(扭下计)...我地呢班打工仔 一生一世为钱币做奴隶, 个种辛苦折堕讲出吓鬼(死比你睇),半斤八两 就算有福都无你享...

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

CKP
  • CKP
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Chen Show Mao is 100% correct that dishing out goodies during election season, promising no GST hike for the next 5 years, 30% increase in incomes over 10 years, and linking upgrading to votes, are all populistic in nature.

So before anyone in PAP warns against turning populist in policy making in response to GE2011, they should examine their very own populistic actions and promises during election seasons.

tongue.gif

Edited by CKP, 16 October 2011 - 10:31 PM.

I'm a soldier, born to stand... in this waking hell I am... witnessing more than I can compute
Pray myself we don't forget... lies, betrayed and the oppressed
Please give me the strength to be the truth

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

Prodiguy02
  • Prodiguy02
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Yeah!

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

Lamzh87
  • Premium member
    Lamzh87
    5th Gear
    Author Image

TS, source?

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Kennethcoles246
  • Kennethcoles246
    Clutched
    Author Image

Chen Show Mao is 100% correct that dishing out goodies during election season, promising no GST hike for the next 5 years, 30% increase in incomes over 10 years, and linking upgrading to votes, are all populistic in nature.

So before anyone in PAP warns against turning populist in policy making in response to GE2011, they should examine their very own populistic actions and promises during election seasons.

tongue.gif

You guys really think that anything else will change??? The grass roots system , the genetic theory, marrying a graduate and a smart person will beget intelligent children, all these was adopted from the Nazis,fascist system and theories since world war 2 and even before.
The stop at 2 children campaign....now with the ordinary citizens now ,more worldly and intelligent, trying to ensure the long term survival of the party is ...in my opinion put first before country!
FLOORED! PEDAL TO THE METAL !

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:45 PM

KARTer
  • KARTer
    Banned

TS, source?

Try WP website maybe?.... my fren sent this to me.
我地呢班打工仔, 通街走直头系坏肠胃, 温个些少到月底点够驶(吃个鬼), 咪话无乜所谓, 最弊波士郁的发威(癫过鸡), 一咪系处系唔系就乱黎吠, 哎亲加薪块面拿起恶睇(扭下计)...我地呢班打工仔 一生一世为钱币做奴隶, 个种辛苦折堕讲出吓鬼(死比你睇),半斤八两 就算有福都无你享...

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

Felipe
  • Felipe
    Supercharged
    Author Image

You guys really think that anything else will change??? The grass roots system , the genetic theory, marrying a graduate and a smart person will beget intelligent children, all these was adopted from the Nazis,fascist system and theories since world war 2 and even before.
The stop at 2 children campaign....now with the ordinary citizens now ,more worldly and intelligent, trying to ensure the long term survival of the party is ...in my opinion put first before country!

no la, this is better than fascism. our politicians get voted in you know unlike those of the past. too bad, the 60% just don't see it.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:22 AM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Screenshot_2016-03-11-05-09-30.png

Interesting, the role of the government is not to interfere private sector way of doing things, if they charge too high so be it, general public will make some adjustment or go with other companies.

When government steps in to interfere private sector, it may ultimately cause price to rise even higher.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-03-11-05-09-30.png

Interesting, the role of the government is not to interfere private sector way of doing things, if they charge too high so be it, general public will make some adjustment or go with other companies.

When government steps in to interfere private sector, it may ultimately cause price to rise even higher.

In Singapore, we must be careful to distinguish private sector from "private sector". Remember, we're not considered #5 worldwide on the Crony Capitalism Index for nothing.

1 Anonymous member praised this
This place is not what it used to be. I'm glad for the friends I made here. But I'm moving on, just like Porker and some others I know. Cheers!

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:34 AM

Picnic06-Biante15
  • Premium member
    Picnic06-Biante15
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-03-11-05-09-30.png

Taking it locally. In the first place, why there is a raise in prices ?

Labour levy cost, fuel cost, vehicle COE cost, ..... etc, etc, etc..... are the eating into the operation cost of a company and if the company don't increase their product/service price, how to survive in long run ... :a-m1524:  

"Genius is One Per Cent INSPIRATION, Ninety-nine Per Cent PERSPIRATION"

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Taking it locally. In the first place, why there is a raise in prices ?

Labour levy cost, fuel cost, vehicle COE cost, ..... etc, etc, etc..... are the eating into the operation cost of a company and if the company don't increase their product/service price, how to survive in long run ... :a-m1524:

When government interferes, it means more paperwork, need to be in compliance with the regulations. Those are hidden cost involved, which increase company expenses.

Private companies knows that they are supposed to do, in order to survive they will differentiate either by service or by pricing. They do not need government to step in as government is not God or knows everything. Sometimes they step it and make things worst.

So let free market decide, those not league will end up Need to catch up or out they go.

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

http://www.straitsti...ook&xtor=CS1-10

This one must give credit to tin pei Ling.. I feel she did the right thing. MP should not write letter to court to influence or interfere court decisions. The rest who wrote to court is trying to please residents. Although their job is to help residents and also ensure that they win their vote. However to go to the extend to write letter to court to influence or interfere, I feel it's not too right already.

So thumbs up for ting pei Ling for doing the right thing.

Edited by Yewheng, 04 February 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:11 PM

Throttle2
  • Throttle2
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

This one must give credit to tin pei Ling.. I feel she did the right thing. MP should not write letter to court to influence or interfere court decisions. The rest who wrote to court is trying to please residents. Although their job is to help residents and also ensure that they win their vote. However to go to the extend to write letter to court to influence or interfere, I feel it's not too right already.

So thumbs up for ting pei Ling for doing the right thing.

Bro, common sense for a person holding office lah.
No credit to be given here.

You like her, just say so lah.
Hee heee

đź‘Ź
SiLangKia and Staff69 praised this
Targetting to truly retire by 2028
Give away my CPF
Travel the world and smoke those Cubans!

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

A retired judge had spoken. See old birds vs new birds.

Old birds will never write letter to court to appeal for leniency on behalf of the residents as lky will not allowed that to happen. Now new birds Simi MP write appeal letter only for urgent case? It should not have happened in the 1st place.

Maybe lsl should follow his dad footstep, instruct chief of Justice to tell all judge to ignore letter of appeal from MPs to judge and send back the letter to party whip.. And let party whip leader to handle them..

Edited by Yewheng, 06 February 2018 - 11:14 AM.

Mustank praised this

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

A retired judge had spoken. See old birds vs new birds.

Old birds will never write letter to court to appeal for leniency on behalf of the residents as lky will not allowed that to happen. Now new birds Simi MP write appeal letter only for urgent case? It should not have happened in the 1st place.

Maybe lsl should follow his dad footstep, instruct chief of Justice to tell all judge to ignore letter of appeal from MPs to judge and send back the letter to party whip.. And let party whip leader to handle them..

New birds behave like that because of bad influences from the top.
Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

Kezg1
  • Premium member
    Kezg1
    6th Gear
    Author Image

New birds behave like that because of bad influences from the top.

...so the saying goes " birds of same feather flock together "

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

UncleAtas
  • Premium member
    UncleAtas
    Supercharged
    Author Image

On cue..

http://www.mycarforu...-tale-of-nigel/

Refer to signature guidelines

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

https://www.channeln...44574?cid=fbcna

Finally ccs did the right thing..

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

CCS is THE party whip.  He has to do it in order not to bring shame to Ah Gong hor.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:22 AM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

good move. restores a bit more faith in the garment...
Sienta X 2009, Sienta Hybrid X 2017
PSA: Get car cam if you still have not done so...
PSA2: Apply for vCashcard...

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users