In SG cannot act blur ....

Scb11980

Why tax items bought abroad for personal use?

Letter from Charlton Wee

17 Oct 2011

Today

I recently returned to Singapore from a trip to Hong Kong and was stopped to have my baggage checked for any undeclared goods.

My luggage was packed with herbs for my family, and I was questioned about contents that I did not know the worth of, as they were given to me by my relative in Hong Kong.

I had to give an estimate based on my experience of purchasing herbs in Singapore, as I was told I could be taxed.

I found out that all Singaporeans are allowed only up to S$300 worth of non-taxable goods, a rule that no one knew when I asked around later.

I can understand it if we are taxed on goods for commercial use or business purposes, but why are we taxed on goods bought overseas that are solely for personal consumption?

↡ Advertisement

Letter from Charlton Wee

17 Oct 2011

Today

I recently returned to Singapore from a trip to Hong Kong and was stopped to have my baggage checked for any undeclared goods.

My luggage was packed with herbs for my family, and I was questioned about contents that I did not know the worth of, as they were given to me by my relative in Hong Kong.

I had to give an estimate based on my experience of purchasing herbs in Singapore, as I was told I could be taxed.

I found out that all Singaporeans are allowed only up to S$300 worth of non-taxable goods, a rule that no one knew when I asked around later.

I can understand it if we are taxed on goods for commercial use or business purposes, but why are we taxed on goods bought overseas that are solely for personal consumption?

It pretty difficult to differentiate "personal use" or "for re-sales"....either side would have reasons to prove otherwise but its always come with benefit of doubt. To prevent these, a clear cut amount is stated so as to use as bench mark....

However, those guy are quite fair actually, if you bought an expensive handbag (just one piece) which easily cost more than $300, they would still "give chance" though technically they could have tax u.

Its good to know the rules, regulation & law....its better to know if they use discretion and give chance.....so that one would not argue "wrongly".

Cheers!

Letter from Charlton Wee

17 Oct 2011

Today

This rule is always there. I remember I do see pasted notice in the arrival hall mentioning something like that too. Although there is such rule, the authority usually close one eye as long as the qty bought in is reasonable. I don't think is their intention to create a scene or make the experience of fellow citizen who just return from a nice holiday abroad bad. How much can they charge the returning traveller on the GST? They might as well concentrate their effort to catch those contraband cigaratte sellers. It will show up better in their annual work review. Imagine under the achievement section you put down "I caught and fine 10 senior citizens for bring in tea leaves without declaring for GST". If I am their reporting officer, I will [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry]

For the custom officer to stop and ask you for the value of the purchase, I can imagine the "qty" we are talking about. The writer Charlton Wee must be thinking we will all sympathise with him. Sorry lor, although we complain and complain, we are also sensible.

Heard even if you buy too many clothing or shoes back from your holidays, the sg custom can also "tax" the items you have bought?! [rolleyes]

Edited by 13177

can, who say cannot?

depends on who you are ..... remember the 16% discount on condo purchase? the buyers also act blur, but no action taken

What talking you?????

Not "too many" but anything above $300 per adult traveller. Less than 24 hours, up to $50.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=98

Technically, anything that you bring across the borders are taxable. Not different from most countries, even democratic countries. Try India, even courier a hard disk with data, it's "taxable".

Heard even if you buy too many clothing or shoes back from your holidays, the sg custom can also "tax" the items you have bought?! [rolleyes]

usu ICA close eye la..

u come back from JB on weekend, sometimes u c the car in front of u, whole boot is full of shopping bags, by rite can tax 1..

if u away from SG for less than 24hours..ur entitlement is only stuff bought worth up to S$50.

There are brochures all around airport, guess nobody bother to read.

Wonder in the future if we need to bring along receipts as proof of purchase. Imagine to touch down dress in Armanni suit, prada shoes, LV bags. Tumi luggauge, with a Rolex watch and other electronic gadgets where all bought in Singapore previously but customs deem that you had bought when oversea and wanna tax you.

On the other hand, if we bought many duty free perfumes, make up/skincare products, are those taxable as well?

There are also guidelines for duty free goods. Apparently, all countries have the problem of restricting those who are bypassing regular customs for commercial gains.

If putting yourself in the shoes of ICA, how would you manage the situation ?

Wonder in the future if we need to bring along receipts as proof of purchase. Imagine to touch down dress in Armanni suit, prada shoes, LV bags. Tumi luggauge, with a Rolex watch and other electronic gadgets where all bought in Singapore previously but customs deem that you had bought when oversea and wanna tax you.

On the other hand, if we bought many duty free perfumes, make up/skincare products, are those taxable as well?

Neutral Newbie

Who knows if you bring extra and sell on the Net? [laugh]

Letter from Charlton Wee

17 Oct 2011

Today

↡ Advertisement