Rush for iPhone 4s because of SIRI?

LoverofCar

Singapore's SingTel has developed an application to rival the voice-activated Siri on the iPhone 4S that is sure to go down well in the island state -- because it can understand "Singlish".

When Apple unveiled its latest handset earlier this month most of the talk was about Siri, which can give directions or even advice to users simply by asking a question into the speaker.

However, since the new phone went on sale there have been numerous reports of Siri either responding with a completely irrelevant answer or simply saying it does not understand.

YouTube videos of Siri misinterpreting the heavily accented words of iPhone 4S users in Japan -- the first Asian country to get the device on October 14 -- have been widely circulated on the Internet.

But Singapore Telecom (SingTel) says its new app, DeF!ND, will help Singaporeans who use "Singlish" -- a localised form of English with words borrowed from Asian languages -- avoid such problems.

SingTel said DeF!ND is a localised Siri-like application that is able to decipher uniquely Singaporean accents, names and locations.

It made its public debut at the stroke of midnight Thursday, when SingTel Singapore chief executive Allen Lew gave it an instruction in a decidedly local accent as he launched the iPhone 4S in the city-state.

"We have a voice application capability in DeF!ND that is unique because it understands the local language... which the voice recognition engine within an international device like Apple doesn't quite have," Lew said after the launch.

"When we tried to test different voice recognition systems including... Siri, we found that the Singaporean accent is pretty unique and the common international voice recognition systems don't quite pick up the nuance of how we speak," Lew added.

"And of course our street names and our food names are very local so we developed and trained this new system to allow it to recognise it better."

DeF!ND will be available for free on the Android platform and Apple's iTunes "soon," a Singtel spokesman told AFP.

↡ Advertisement

Any it will available for Android for free! Haha

ya 2nd that man

iphone will lag behind in technology soon...and google will dominate

another one will be microsoft as in they will come up with something rest assured

Edited by Ithunk

ya 2nd that man

iphone will lag behind in technology soon...and google will dominate

another one will be microsoft as in they will come up with something rest assured

my prediction... in year 2013, android will lead with microsoft 2nd... apple will fall to 3rd.... [laugh]

Exactly...I had been using my android to type SMS using voice for year

u forgot when they launch the 4, the front camera sounds like a breakthru tech wor.... [laugh]

my prediction... in year 2013, android will lead with microsoft 2nd... apple will fall to 3rd.... [laugh]

could be faster than that

windows mobile did not do too well in mobile phone market

perhaps they were focusing on their OS

maybe microsoft is looking at user trends and user friendliness

Edited by Ithunk

u forgot when they launch the 4, the front camera sounds like a breakthru tech wor.... [laugh]

years ago....my Sony Ericsson lao ya phone can do that Liao....I ever Live board cast F1 race day using video call (oh...apple call it facetime wor) to my friend... [laugh]

could be faster than that

windows mobile did not do too well in mobile phone market

perhaps they were focusing on their OS

maybe microsoft is looking at user trends and user friendliness

One way for window mobile to move forward is to make a deal with android so as to use android markets apps....this is the way ..

siri is simply a voice recognition software....i cant believe iphone users are so [hur]

now that is the power of branding and marketing

yaloh. with powerful branding and marketing, pig also can fly. all followers will blindly follow like zombies.

Turbocharged

Had my first hands on with Siri today, playing with my friend's spanking new ip4s..

The verdict, it's not as fantastic as what Apple makes it out to be. Similar voice recognition such as Vlingo and Speaktoit available on the Android market can perform as well.

Correction, it can perform better than Siri, because the Siri can't find things or navigate when you're outside USA.. -_-

Edited by Shull

microsoft i dont know. but android already leading even before the departure of steve job.

Turbocharged

dunno y u all dont like iphone but just look at the queue. in fact today i just queued and got 3 4s

Many people who rushed to buy the ip4s struggle to answer when i asked them "What's so special about the ip4s?"

for ppl only can see "iphone" only. eveything iphone put in is a breakthrough. [laugh] even it has been ages in other smartphone so they will ignore them.

dunno y u all dont like iphone but just look at the queue. in fact today i just queued and got 3 4s

i am ok for iphone. but i feel handicapped with accessing quite a lot of websites that use flash. and i dont really know why ppl can be poisoned by feeling good in using iphone. so blindly that i feel amused.

↡ Advertisement