Bhutanese replies to Khaw Boon Wan's 'Shangri-la' comments

Mockngbrd

http://www.passudiary.com/2011/10/to-mr-kh...you-expect.html

(This is in reply to National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan of Singapore on his comments made on our country )

Dear Mr. Khaw,

I was not surprised when you said Bhutan is not the last Shangri-la on Earth, because I had a friend from your country who found Bhutan only "full of mountains and valleys". When you visited Bhutan, what did you expect? Those flying mountains you saw in Avatar? or Every Bhutanese merrily dancing in designer clothes? Well, you must have at least expected fancier cars and taller buildings but we only have taller mountains (not flying ones) and thicker forest (truly natural).

I am not surprised even when you said "Most of the time, I saw unhappy people, toiling in the field, worried about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." because I heard a proverb in school that goes, "Two men looked through the prison window, one saw the mud and other saw the horizon". I am only surprised that you have spend "Most of your time" in Bhutan looking in the fields. I am amazed at your ability to figure out whether the people are happy or unhappy just by looking at them- O' you even knew they were "worried about the next harvest". No wonder you country export human resources.

The Man who didn't find happiness in Bhutan. Source:channelnewsasia

I visited your wonderful country sometime ago, and it felt like a city from the future. The transportation system held me spell bound, Cleanliness of the street is so much that I didn't find a fragment of dust on my shoes after walking for the hours, Every building and car looks new, and there is no question about the civic sense among the people. Four days after I landed in Bhutan I woke up and started sharing the stories of your wonderful country- yes it took me four days of sleeping to shake of the hangover of many sleepless nights in your 24X7 country. I read the amazing history of your country and thought to myself, if Bhutan's to develop, Singapore can be our vision.

But since you questioned the presence of happiness in Bhutan, let me answer by telling you few things that you overlooked when you visited my country. Those people you saw in the fields weren't unhappy, if you have gone closer you would have heard them singing and enjoying the social lives, perhaps you won't understand that. If you have spent a little longer time watching them, you would have seen and a woman with basket on her back and holding arms with several children coming with steaming food- we don't have McDonald or KFC. Then everybody will sit down to eat their lunch, laughing and joking, feeding babies, for over an hour- you wouldn't have had so much time to sit and watch I know, times means money in your country. But we have luxury of time. People don't worry "about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." In fact, we don't do much commercial farming, we do most of them to keep with the tradition. And when the sun sets, doesn't really matter what time, people leave for their homes where they have a large family waiting. Large family because we don't chase away our children when they become 18 or children cast away their parents when they age.

We don't need Health Insurance to survive, no have to go for Education Loan for educating our children. We don't hang the drug users, we counsel them to hang on to their lives, we don't have to have a job to survive, and when we fall sick even the furthest cousin comes to attend without having to update Facebook status.

If you reread our history you will find that our wise kings have hidden us from the outside world so that we could remain the way we are today. If we start mining our mountains and lumbering our forests, we can become Singapore in a year but no matter what you do you can never become Bhutan. It is far too difficult. We shall be the last breath of oxygen on earth.

Bhutan may not be the Last Shangri-la but we are happy.

↡ Advertisement

Singapore really needs to re-look itself.

Never expected such a country exists---Bhutan. [inlove]

yah lor....Soya also dunno Bhutan...u ask him, he say to you Bhutto [:p][:p]

Supercharged

it shows our garment is very shallow in their thinking and interpretation of perspections.

No wonder we are such a unhappy bunch of ppl in SG. Garment never get it right.

it shows our garment is very shallow in their thinking and interpretation of perspections.

Case of mistaken-evolution? [sly]

SG equation of Happiness ...

+$$$ = +HAPPY

Bhutan equation of Happiness ...

-$$$ = +HAPPY

Contentment very diff to achieve meh? [blush]

i wonder if the bhutanese (if that's what u call them...) are happy becoz they dun preoccupy their life complaining abt this and that and how everyone/everything seems to hv wronged them?

i wonder if the bhutanese (if that's what u call them...) are happy becoz they dun preoccupy their life complaining abt this and that and how everyone/everything seems to hv wronged them?

bottomline - they dun compare!

SG equation of Happiness ...

+$$$ = +HAPPY

Bhutan equation of Happiness ...

-$$$ = +HAPPY

Contentment very diff to achieve meh? [blush]

for Bhutan,

Family = Happy

i think these are the countries we were in the past...

but every country has to revolve...

50 years on, Bhutan is bound to change...

Turbocharged

Ironically, the Bhutanese don't have to worry where their next meal is gonna come from (because no one is gonna come and take their land for planting crops) while we will somehow worry because we might be replaced by cheaper, better and faster FT..

for Bhutan,

50 years on, Bhutan is bound to change...

dun think this world can last another 50 years ... [laugh]

and most prob i surrender ic liao ... [smallcry]

Edited by Wasted

Ironically, the Bhutanese don't have to worry where their next meal is gonna come from (because no one is gonna come and take their land for planting crops) while we will somehow worry because we might be replaced by cheaper, better and faster FT..

FT faster ..... [confused]:blink:

you mean after earning our money & enjoying our benifits, escape fast fast ..... [grin]

From what i've heard.......they have problems which we in spore take for granted or most will think its too absurd to happen.

Simple things in life..........

From what i've heard........All i can say is, this 4 day trip is not a shopping trip nor honeymoon PRIVATE trip......far far far from it. [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Hiphiphoray

.....i rest my case.

bottomline - they dun compare!

you dun get to choose where to be born, if i were to be born in bhutan, i won't complain also :D