Honda Civic Hybrid 1.3 - To buy or not to buy

Sforester

Hi,

I am considering to buy used Hybrid and chanced upon a used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 1.3A

I started to read into this forum and want to get a feel of technical/common issues (if there are) typical of Honda Hybrid.
It seems that the unstability or depletion of hybrid battery is quite common. The dealer told me that a replacement battery is between 1.5 - 2 thousand (cant check with Kah Motor over weekend).

Any brothers/sisters drive hybrids over here in this forum? Can advise if the hybrid batteries is a bugging issue (and any other things that i should watch out for)?

I plan to buy this for my wife, and wanted some hassle-free and good FC car. Thanks for your help.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

If i am in your position, i will compare the cost of hybrid vs non hybrid. How much is the diff? How many litre of petrol can i buy with the diff? This should help you to decide should you go for hybrid or not.

Hybrid cars generally have two banes: Reduced boot space (for electronics), high maintenance cost for 2nd hand due to batteries and parts or high depreciation for the same reason, possibly slower pickup (for older hybrids), and inability for back-alley workshops to support (leading to higher costs returning to ADs or similar).

Hybrid also have a few different types (assisted pickup or assisted cruise) for earlier variants, so cruising more or start/stop more may play a factor.

Cheers =)

Hi,

I am considering to buy used Hybrid and chanced upon a used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 1.3A

I started to read into this forum and want to get a feel of technical/common issues (if there are) typical of Honda Hybrid.

It seems that the unstability or depletion of hybrid battery is quite common. The dealer told me that a replacement battery is between 1.5 - 2 thousand (cant check with Kah Motor over weekend).

Any brothers/sisters drive hybrids over here in this forum? Can advise if the hybrid batteries is a bugging issue (and any other things that i should watch out for)?

I plan to buy this for my wife, and wanted some hassle-free and good FC car. Thanks for your help.

No such problems with Prius Gen 2 or Gen 3. Agent provides 5 year vehicle warranty and I believe 10 year battery warranty as well.

One of my client's ride was 1.3L Honda Civic hybrid and according to him, the consumption was between 12.5 km/l to 13 km/l of which no saving at all as compared to Altis / Vios BUT KAH Motor claimed was 22 km/l at time for his ride.

In the end he sold it off after 3 years of usage (He 's the 1st owner).

So. no point to consider the used Civic Hybird and it's more wiser to consider Altis / Vios (Vios about 14 km/l to 15 km/l that easily achieveable)

Edited by Jefkking

One of my client's ride was 1.3L Honda Civic hybrid and according to him, the consumption was between 12.5 km/l to 13 km/l of which no saving at all as compared to Altis / Vios BUT KAH Motor claimed was 22 km/l at time for his ride.

In the end he sold it off after 3 years of usage (He 's the 1st owner).

So. no point to consider the used Civic Hybird and it's more wiser to consider Altis / Vios (Vios about 14 km/l to 15 km/l that easily achieveable)

Correct, that's about the same consumption that my friend told me. 22km/l is BS.

I beg to differ.

My hybrid will be 4 yr next March.

Hybrid components dont have any maintenance issue, and so far they are still factory original.

The rest of the maintenance is similar to petrol-only cars.

Regular servicing EO, ATF, coolant and filter change.

honda cant really make hybrids the only hybrid that is truly efficient is the prius and its the old model 1.5L that gets you 20 km/l at least. proven with taxis using them. recently comfortdelgro also started experimenting with camry hybrids

two words for you, go google hybrid and carbon foot print.

the only compelling reason to go hybrid is combination of comfort (quiet and fast acceleration from 0 - 60) and petrol savings.

I drive Estima hybrid.

Dont confuse it with handphone or camera batteries.

Hybrid battery is built to last out the entire life span of car.

There is a battery management unit to check on battery conditions such as temperature, load, charge rate.

Car makers have learned importance of keeping batteries cool.

These heavy batteries are installed in cabin with ventilations to draw in cooler cabin air.

Drive a hybrid for an experience of a lifetime only. Play play once enough.

Local political environment is not pro-green cars.

If you want good FC, easy drive for lady, my advice will be Hatchback such as Dahatsu Sirion, Hyundai Getz 1.6A..there are many

Hi,

If your main concern is FC just get a small car with a small engine capacity. It's more fuel efficient and maintenance is minimal compared to Hybrid. Anyway Civic is not a true Hybrid car. It's more of an electrical assisted car. A so called proper hybrid car is the Prius.

Another concern is that your wife have to change her driving style in order to achieve the desired FC. How long do you think it will take her? Another factor like the routes she take, distance, highway or city driving. Sgp so small, most ppl drive such short distance, how much can the batt be charged, coupled with the hot weather, the batt confirm die early. Hybrid cars are mostly hype. If you are concern about FC, get a 1.2L or 1.3L used Japanese small family car.

Edited by Watwheels

honda cant really make hybrids the only hybrid that is truly efficient is the prius and its the old model 1.5L that gets you 20 km/l at least. proven with taxis using them. recently comfortdelgro also started experimenting with camry hybrids

Old model Prius then truly efficient? I beg to differ here. My family has a Prius Gen 3 1.8 fitted with 17" rims and tyres (heavier with more rolling resistance).

Anyhow drive also can attain 20+km/l. No need for hypermilling or some hybrid driving techniques like what some people have mentioned in order to reap the benefits of a hybrid.

Of course when I say anyhow drive doesnt mean flooring the car all the time. I mean just driving like what any individual would do when driving a normal combustion engine vehicle.

I beg to differ.

My hybrid will be 4 yr next March.

Hybrid components dont have any maintenance issue, and so far they are still factory original.

The rest of the maintenance is similar to petrol-only cars.

Regular servicing EO, ATF, coolant and filter change.

I stand behind this.

If you look at Borneo Motor's pricing for servicing, the Prius costs as little as a Corolla.

↡ Advertisement