Honda Civic Hybrid 1.3 - To buy or not to buy

Sforester

i think you should consider toyota allion, heard that it can goes up to 700km/tank even better then the 1.3 hybrid

How come allion FC so good? Even better than vios and altis? [:/]

tank is 60L, civic only 50.

but i think some reported 15km/L for allion? anyway for FC, you wouldnt go wrong with toyota, my previous altis even i step hard on it all the times still able to achieve 11-12km/l.

my current fd2a, even i step light only able to get 9+km/l

i think you should consider toyota allion, heard that it can goes up to 700km/tank even better then the 1.3 hybrid

Wrong, allion can go up to 1000km in one single full tank of 60L, which means the person pump 50-22L only.. His FC is around 17-20 km/L. What for buy a civic hybrid with so much battery problems?

two words for you, go google hybrid and carbon foot print.

the only compelling reason to go hybrid is combination of comfort (quiet and fast acceleration from 0 - 60) and petrol savings.

Well, i feel that hybrids have equally bad if not, worse carbon footprint if we are talking about cradle to grave assessment (which imo should be the correct yardstick of measure)

Well, i feel that hybrids have equally bad if not, worse carbon footprint if we are talking about cradle to grave assessment (which imo should be the correct yardstick of measure)

to make 1 hybrid=10 years of driving a normal car.

so quite useless here.

to truly save the environment, u need to drive >10 years. if not, its a 1:1 ratio.

to make 1 hybrid=10 years of driving a normal car.

so quite useless here.

to truly save the environment, u need to drive >10 years. if not, its a 1:1 ratio.

it is more than just the emissions. cradle to grave assessment include the environmental cost(s) of manufacturing the car. The environmental degradation caused by manufacturing the hybrid battery pack is no joke. The amount of chemical wastes produced in mining the heavy metals and processing etc. Very very serious environmental concerns.

What about the Honda Insight or CRZ? Same as the Civic Hybrid?

I find Honda's approach and Toyota approach to hybrid vehicle powertrain philosophy to be very different. You can see from the capability of the electric powerpack in the Prius and the Civic. The Prius's is more potent. Toyota meant to pair the battery pack so as to complement the conventional drivetrain but in the Civi hybrid, the battery pack is supplementary to assist the normal drivetrain. This could explain why the Civic hybrid has poor FC for a hybrid's standard.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I am considering to buy used Hybrid and chanced upon a used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 1.3A

I started to read into this forum and want to get a feel of technical/common issues (if there are) typical of Honda Hybrid.

It seems that the unstability or depletion of hybrid battery is quite common. The dealer told me that a replacement battery is between 1.5 - 2 thousand (cant check with Kah Motor over weekend).

Any brothers/sisters drive hybrids over here in this forum? Can advise if the hybrid batteries is a bugging issue (and any other things that i should watch out for)?

I plan to buy this for my wife, and wanted some hassle-free and good FC car. Thanks for your help.

One of my friend owns a hybrid honda. Initially alot of issues with battery. After he was recommended to change his battery to higher cap and upgrade his alternator. Everything seems to be fine now. Its been almost 2 yrs.

It does looks nice from the outside and inside (space age) but somehow the power isnt there even if he drag it alot.

Btw he isnt driving a SG registered hybrid. He is in KL.

Edited by Maka

it is more than just the emissions. cradle to grave assessment include the environmental cost(s) of manufacturing the car. The environmental degradation caused by manufacturing the hybrid battery pack is no joke. The amount of chemical wastes produced in mining the heavy metals and processing etc. Very very serious environmental concerns.

what do they "mine"?

aernt the materials already there?

lithium ion batteries have been around for very long already

One of my friend owns a hybrid honda. Initially alot of issues with battery. After he was recommended to change his battery to higher cap and upgrade his alternator. Everything seems to be fine now. Its been almost 2 yrs.

It does looks nice from the outside and inside (space age) but somehow the power isnt there even if he drag it alot.

Btw he isnt driving a SG registered hybrid. He is in KL.

Civic hybrid doesn't have a alternator, the system is using a DC-DC converter to charge back both the IMA batt and the 12V batt when decelerating or braking. It recently just had a recall to replace this converter by Kah Motor.

Most fuel savings during city start n stop conditions.

but during highway driving, electric motor may also cut in to assist or run solo.

what do they "mine"?

aernt the materials already there?

lithium ion batteries have been around for very long already

not all use lithium ion batteries. some older ones still using nickel cadmium batteries which are very environmentally costly to produce. The mining itself is not the main issue. The processing and the recovery itself is the problem. Involves alot of steps and chemicals.

Neutral Newbie

Used to drive a FD3 for 3 years until warranty expired, sold it off happily.

1st year was good, IMA battery still new, reasonable pickup power, FC avg 13-15km/l (heavy footer)

2nd year the IMA battery started to hold less charge and slowly affecting FC and pickup power.

Sent back to agent, they changed a "new" battery and you know what? They "optimized" the IMA software to make the

car use less IMA battery. So most of the time, even though with 90% charge, the IMA assist just wouldn't kick in.

To tell you frankly, without the IMA assist, the FD3 is just a 1.3L. Horrible pickup and FC.

3rd year and onward was basically endure, frustration, etc

And you are going to get a 5 years old FD3? I think you would be better off with a FD4 (1.6L). Trust me.

To anyone who think that the IMA battery on FD3 can last as long as the car or it was different with notebook and mobile battery.....Wrong, they are the same.

The IMA software has been designed to control the battery to make it last as long as possible.

It will just provide less assist when battery starts to degrade.

Neutral Newbie

I drive Estima hybrid.

Dont confuse it with handphone or camera batteries.

Hybrid battery is built to last out the entire life span of car.

There is a battery management unit to check on battery conditions such as temperature, load, charge rate.

Car makers have learned importance of keeping batteries cool.

These heavy batteries are installed in cabin with ventilations to draw in cooler cabin air.

Drive a hybrid for an experience of a lifetime only. Play play once enough.

Local political environment is not pro-green cars.

If you want good FC, easy drive for lady, my advice will be Hatchback such as Dahatsu Sirion, Hyundai Getz 1.6A..there are many

Bro, Estima different. Without the assist, still got pickup power.

Civic Hybrid without the assist can die.

Hybrid Cars is only practical to own if the cost of battery replacement is cheap.

↡ Advertisement