Head lamps upgrade for Malaysia Rd?

Rogersk8ter

I drive in Malaysia once every week.

I find my stock Mit Grandis head lamps inadequate for some Malaysia roads at night.

The last time i came back from Port Dickson at night driving NSHW, i kept my high beam on

most of the time cos a bit too dim for some stretch of the road.

I may have affected some drivers with my high beam.

Any advice how to upgrade or improve lightings?

My stock lamps hv not fail and its 7+yo. Has it lost its efficencies become dimmer after so long?

Anyone ever wash and clean the clear lamp shield and reflector as dust may collect and reduce brightness or any maintenance?

Was reading some reports and seems that gd lamps like Phillips and Ostram may not last long and certainly not hope after

spending money upgrading now got to spend more replacing.

Only legal upgrades. thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Only legal? Try changing your bulbs for starters. Maybe the filament is no longer as effective that's why it's not so bright.

Or if you are referring to the throw of the light not far enough, try adjusting the headlamp level to a higher setting.

If possible, try not to change any thing. The factory fitted head lamp is vacuum sealed and quality very good. Very reliable.

Else, improper handling will cause the light bulb damage due to vapour entry. Worst, water entry cause short circuit to the electrical unit.

Edited by Tcx607

If possible, try not to change any thing. The factory fitted head lamp is vacuum sealed and quality very good. Very reliable.

Else, improper handling will cause the light bulb damage due to vapour entry. Worst, water entry cause short circuit to the electrical unit.

Er.. Are you sure factory fitted head lamp unit is vacuum sealed?? Then how to change bulb?? Or after changing bulb, use vacuum cleaner to suck out all the air again?? :D :D :D

Er.. Are you sure factory fitted head lamp unit is vacuum sealed?? Then how to change bulb?? Or after changing bulb, use vacuum cleaner to suck out all the air again?? :D :D :D

Watertight can tau cheo already. One walk down the carpark and you can count the no. of cars with condensate in their headlamps assembly.

Neutral Newbie

If do not want HID lighting ( white light ) then try changing the bulbs to the longer throw type. I read somewhere that osram nightbreaker and philpis extreme vision buls will give longer throw, but these are halogen light, so call yellow light.

Where to buy ? Google or any bros can help ?

ok tks bros.

Ive chk my manual. no where it mention the low beam can be adjusted higher for further throw.

how abt replacing my fog which is very weak to hid and only switch it on when in malaysia road?

even bright fog light which is mounted low wont blind other drivers right?

is such mod illegal?

but i read somewhere that white fog lights will reduce road markings visibilty when raining.

Edited by Rogersk8ter

ok tks bros.

Ive chk my manual. no where it mention the low beam can be adjusted higher for further throw.

how abt replacing my fog which is very weak to hid and only switch it on when in malaysia road?

even bright fog light which is mounted low wont blind other drivers right?

is such mod illegal?

but i read somewhere that white fog lights will reduce road markings visibilty when raining.

The mod is not illegal per se, as long as you do not use your HID fogs in Singapore.

However, the illegal modification issue might actually be with your insurance, as having HID fogs will inevitably require electrical reworking, which may then void your insurance coverage.

The best option would actually be to change your stock bulbs to replacement bulbs like what forumners above said, the Osrams and Philip nightbreakers. They are not particularly expensive, and I think is a small price to pay for safety/peace of mind, especially if you travel regularly on B roads up north.

Neutral Newbie

1. Buy a pair of Philips X-treme Vision or Osram Night Breaker Plus. NB+ comes in the form of fog lamp as well if i am not wrong. Not those HID (or any other HID imitation), as these aftermarket HID can create danger to other road users.

2. Philips X-treme Vision or Osram Night Breaker Plus can last as long as your stock halogen light bulbs.

3. Not all cars have the function to adjust low beam throw angle. Not too sure about yours.

4. Some workshops do headlights cleaning at a cost. You can use toothpaste to clean yours to see whether it helps.

Vacuum sealed lamp is in the 70s lah....

Modern cars they seal the bulb instead of the lamp.

Huh, didn't know tooth paste can use to clean headlights.

Tooth paste is a mild polish. I have not tried on head lights...but you can use it on chrome parts...works like a charm !!

I use toothpaste to clean the taps in the toilets...removes the water marks.

Tooth paste is a mild polish. I have not tried on head lights...but you can use it on chrome parts...works like a charm !!

I use toothpaste to clean the taps in the toilets...removes the water marks.

For cleaning these I beleive it works, but for headlights......a bit confusing leh.

1. Buy a pair of Philips X-treme Vision or Osram Night Breaker Plus. NB+ comes in the form of fog lamp as well if i am not wrong. Not those HID (or any other HID imitation), as these aftermarket HID can create danger to other road users.

2. Philips X-treme Vision or Osram Night Breaker Plus can last as long as your stock halogen light bulbs.

3. Not all cars have the function to adjust low beam throw angle. Not too sure about yours.

4. Some workshops do headlights cleaning at a cost. You can use toothpaste to clean yours to see whether it helps.

Are you sure Philip Xtreme and Osram NB can last that long?? Have u tried it??

My experience with Xtreme dun even last for more than 4 months.. My stock bulb which happen to be from Philip as well have not blown yet.. But i've change out for other brands for testing..

I drive in Malaysia once every week.

I find my stock Mit Grandis head lamps inadequate for some Malaysia roads at night.

The last time i came back from Port Dickson at night driving NSHW, i kept my high beam on

most of the time cos a bit too dim for some stretch of the road.

I may have affected some drivers with my high beam.

Any advice how to upgrade or improve lightings?

My stock lamps hv not fail and its 7+yo. Has it lost its efficencies become dimmer after so long?

Anyone ever wash and clean the clear lamp shield and reflector as dust may collect and reduce brightness or any maintenance?

Was reading some reports and seems that gd lamps like Phillips and Ostram may not last long and certainly not hope after

spending money upgrading now got to spend more replacing.

Only legal upgrades. thanks.

drive slower beats any enhancements and you wont blind other ppl with your high beam too.

My experience with Xtreme dun even last for more than 4 months.. My stock bulb which happen to be from Philip as well have not blown yet.. But i've change out for other brands for testing..

Actually the cheapo types last the longest - those $8~12 a bulb for H4/H7. No need to use those more than $25 a pop kind.

Neutral Newbie

My car runs on Philips X-treme Power (bought in Dec 2008), and another one on Osram Night Breaker Plus (bought in mid 2010 i think).

Both still working well. About an hour or less night drive almost everyday. But i can't comment on why yours only lasted for 4 months. [:p]

Actually brightness is one thing...It is actually the projection that matter...If you dipped your headlamp it can't shine far...For malaysia road...when there are not street lamp, if you project the headlamp higher, it can shine far and clear........For my HID..there is no such thing as high beam or what..it just projecting the lamp higher when u flick the high beam control.....of cos, the height of the headlamp is adjustable by a switch..

↡ Advertisement