• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic | 5 praises

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Keen
  • Premium member
    Keen
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi guys, I am driving a hyundai avante. Do we need to change the Auto transmission filter? Some say yes, some say no. wacko.gif

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

MacDuck
  • MacDuck
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Changed mine at 40K.

Mechanical dropped ATF sump to access filter.

Magnet inside sump had metal shavings.

... (⊙_⊙) ... ... (ಠ_ಠ) ... ... (⊙_⊙) ... ... (ಠ_ಠ) ... ... (⊙_⊙) ...

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Camrytron
  • Premium member
    Camrytron
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Hi guys, I am driving a hyundai avante. Do we need to change the Auto transmission filter? Some say yes, some say no. wacko.gif

better change..
will be changing mine next service..
heard it cost ard $50

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

SimplyTWL
  • Premium member
    SimplyTWL
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Doesn't ATF stands for Auto Transmission Fluid? Not filter la~
Anyways, ATF is recommended to be changed at every 40,000km.
Just in case, and for better protection of your own gearbox, do it every 30,000km.
Which in short means every 3rd servicing you go, must do it :)

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

MacDuck
  • MacDuck
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

There is an ATF filter in the system too.
1 Anonymous member praised this
... (⊙_⊙) ... ... (ಠ_ಠ) ... ... (⊙_⊙) ... ... (ಠ_ಠ) ... ... (⊙_⊙) ...

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Keen
  • Premium member
    Keen
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

So must change one ar? any workshop to recommend? I thinking of buying the filter from stockist...

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Tigershark1976
  • Premium member
    Tigershark1976
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

dunno why changing ATF filter sounds like a major job in SG... I asked a few workshop last time in SG and most tell me that need 1/2 day... even my regular workshop told me need time to do, better come on weekday when there are lesser car. but go mal, they simply drop the pan after draining off the oil.... took less than 1 hour job leh....

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

Vision86
  • Vision86
    1st Gear
    Author Image

any wrkshop to recommend for tis filter change.
many wrkshop i ask ard dont do tis.
and aso normally wat r the labour rate range

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

Good-Carbuyer

better change..
will be changing mine next service..
heard it cost ard $50

Thats cheap?

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

Fuelsaver
  • Premium member
    Fuelsaver
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Transmission filter changing

Customers often ask if they should change the filter as well as the fluid.

In the past, automatic transmission fluid was changed by removing the pan, changing the filter and gasket and refilling with 1/3 the capacity of the transmission. This was the only method known to change the fluid so it was the acceptable method.

When transmission flushing equipment was introduced to the market, people started to ask, “what about the filter?” “we used to change it, why don’t we have to change it now?” The answer to this is, it was changed before because we already had the pan off so “we might as well” plus the filter company’s packaged the gaskets with filters and encouraged this practice.

An automatic transmission is a closed hydraulic devise with no foreign matter being introduced. Therefor, if the filter on a transmission should ever become plugged, it is plugged with transmission parts! This means the transmission is past the point of needing a fluid change. An engine on the other hand is constantly exposed to foreign matter (air and fuel) which brings in contaminants as well as the combustion that creates many other byproducts. The engine oil filter is designed to filter these products out.

Many transmission manufacturers use only a screen on the fluid pickup to filter out any casting flaws or debris that could be poured down the dipstick. Some manufacturers do not recommend changing the filter.

The fluid will break down and needs to be changed, the filters do not plug up on a healthy transmission.

source: http://www.fluidserv...nge-filter.html

another diff SOT: https://www.yourmech...ion-filter-last

Edited by Fuelsaver, 07 February 2017 - 07:54 PM.

FS

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Quick Reply

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users