Auto transmission filter

Keen

Hi guys, I am driving a hyundai avante. Do we need to change the Auto transmission filter? Some say yes, some say no. :wacko:

↡ Advertisement

Hi guys, I am driving a hyundai avante. Do we need to change the Auto transmission filter? Some say yes, some say no. :wacko:

better change..

will be changing mine next service..

heard it cost ard $50

Doesn't ATF stands for Auto Transmission Fluid? Not filter la~

Anyways, ATF is recommended to be changed at every 40,000km.

Just in case, and for better protection of your own gearbox, do it every 30,000km.

Which in short means every 3rd servicing you go, must do it :)

dunno why changing ATF filter sounds like a major job in SG... I asked a few workshop last time in SG and most tell me that need 1/2 day... even my regular workshop told me need time to do, better come on weekday when there are lesser car. but go mal, they simply drop the pan after draining off the oil.... took less than 1 hour job leh....

Neutral Newbie

any wrkshop to recommend for tis filter change.

many wrkshop i ask ard dont do tis.

and aso normally wat r the labour rate range

Transmission filter changing

Customers often ask if they should change the filter as well as the fluid.

In the past, automatic transmission fluid was changed by removing the pan, changing the filter and gasket and refilling with 1/3 the capacity of the transmission. This was the only method known to change the fluid so it was the acceptable method.

When transmission flushing equipment was introduced to the market, people started to ask, “what about the filter?” “we used to change it, why don’t we have to change it now?” The answer to this is, it was changed before because we already had the pan off so “we might as well” plus the filter company’s packaged the gaskets with filters and encouraged this practice.

An automatic transmission is a closed hydraulic devise with no foreign matter being introduced. Therefor, if the filter on a transmission should ever become plugged, it is plugged with transmission parts! This means the transmission is past the point of needing a fluid change. An engine on the other hand is constantly exposed to foreign matter (air and fuel) which brings in contaminants as well as the combustion that creates many other byproducts. The engine oil filter is designed to filter these products out.

Many transmission manufacturers use only a screen on the fluid pickup to filter out any casting flaws or debris that could be poured down the dipstick. Some manufacturers do not recommend changing the filter.

The fluid will break down and needs to be changed, the filters do not plug up on a healthy transmission.

source: http://www.fluidservicetech.com/resources/change-filter.html

another diff SOT: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-long-does-a-transmission-filter-last

Edited by Fuelsaver
↡ Advertisement