Tires size

Optoms

Neutral Newbie

Hi all.

I'm going to change the shoes for my car soon. But still deciding on the size for it. Currently she is wearing 215/50/17. If I change the size to 215/45/17, will the car be lowered but the gap between the fender and the wheel be larger? How about 225/45/17? Is it having the same effect? Currently the car felt higher in the front than the back and the gap in the front is about 2.5 finger apart while the back is only about 1.5 fingers wide. So can I use 215/45/17 in front and 225/45/17 at the back? Any expertise comment? Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Hi all.

I'm going to change the shoes for my car soon. But still deciding on the size for it. Currently she is wearing 215/50/17. If I change the size to 215/45/17, will the car be lowered but the gap between the fender and the wheel be larger? How about 225/45/17? Is it having the same effect? Currently the car felt higher in the front than the back and the gap in the front is about 2.5 finger apart while the back is only about 1.5 fingers wide. So can I use 215/45/17 in front and 225/45/17 at the back? Any expertise comment? Thanks

What car you driving.?

Can look at ejelta.com tire size calculator? Wider tire can make the car a liitle more slippery, unless you drive on loose/soft ground.

Example: my stock front 175/65R14 tire spins often when doing wet hill-climbing. But not when I rotate the 165/70R14 to the front.

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Hi all.

if your rim can fit in 215->225, it will be a better choice since there will be slightly more contact on the road. thus, safer and with a slight better handling.

changing from 50->45 will make your wheels look smaller than current. however, there will be more feel in road handling.

size is one thing, get a good set of tyres is also another important factor.

hope it helps.

Hi all.

Why not stick to the original size of 215/50? 215/50R17 tyres are commonly available not some rare size..

Though 225/45 would be cheaper..

Hi all.

if u change to 215.45.17 ,

con is the gap bigger. more ugly ( unless u will to lower your car )

pro, as tyre lower profile . more stability in cornering.

if u want to change to 225.45.17, make sure your rim is 17 x 7 or 7.5

rim like honda stream orginal ( 205.55.17 tyre ) not suitable to put 225 tyres.

and lastly dun assume change 215- 225, = u get more grip on the ground ,

that is a miss conception by alot of drivers,

more stability sideway yes, cos wider ,

but not more grip , cos contact surface on road only change its shapes, when u change sizes.

Hi all.

To put it simply, with a given radius (eg. 17"), to maintain the same overall wheel size, a +20mm on the first number (width) = +5 in the second number (profile), i.e. 215/50 = 235/45 (mathematically speaking). So 225/45 will be lower profile than 215/50 and hence the gap with the fender a bit bigger and ur car also a bit nearer to the ground. With a smaller circumference, it also means ur speedo and mileage will slightly over read. Meaning ur mileage go up a bit faster.

Given that u are currently on 215, i don't suggest you go up to 235 as ur shoes will then be bigger than ur feet. Hence i tink the best option for u is to stay with 215/45 and get a good tire instead (Potenza RE002/S001, GY Asym 2, F1 Direction 5, CSC3 or 5, etc).

Hi all.

Q1: will be lowered, gap will be larg

Q2: will be almost similar to 215/50/17

Q3: engine at the front makes it feel lower?

Down sizing the OD of the tyre will give you better acceleration from stand still, car roll might be affected and less economy on highway as compare to upsizing on the OD gives you better fuel economy. The rest are mention by the forumers.

Most important is to use a gps to track the actual speed when you upsize as the meter will seems slower which might get you a speed ticket.

Neutral Newbie

Hi all

Thanks for the reply. I had indeed changed my tires and rim altogether a few days ago. I still maintain 17" even though 18" is very very tempting but considering the cost of the tires will be very ex. May I ask y 225/45/17 is cheaper then 215/50/17 if the size is more common? I changed my 4 tires to 225/45/17 as the shop recommended me continental csc3 as he mentioned that the tires are having promo at 220/pc MIG and fresh. 33 weeks of 2011. Anyway now the overall diameter looked smaller now.. Gap become larger and I felt the tires looked kind of budging out.. The tires wall looked very round but the boss said that that is to protect the rims.. I suspect that it was due to the wider width of the tires. Am I rite.

Can look at ejelta.com tire size calculator? Wider tire can make the car a liitle more slippery, unless you drive on loose/soft ground.

Example: my stock front 175/65R14 tire spins often when doing wet hill-climbing. But not when I rotate the 165/70R14 to the front.

bro, what makes u say that wider tyre is more slipery? I tot wider tyre have more contact to the road, hence, better grip? care to share?

bro, what makes u say that wider tyre is more slipery? I tot wider tyre have more contact to the road, hence, better grip? care to share?

Each tyre tread needs a certain vertical load pressure to achieve usable road adhesion. You may be aware that sometimes the tire screeched when we drive up a ramp with the tire wet by rain. At that point in time and spot, the tire experience breaching of its road adhesion threshold.

The use of slight narrower tire can eliminate the slippages and screeching. The reverse can be observed when driving over loose sand/soft ground. Wider tire minimise wheel spining.

Example: Driving along the same meandering route at different speed at 50km/H, and 80km/H for a second trip, can observe perhaps 10% difference in mileage travelled. There is nothing wrong with the driver/odometer. Just minimal tire slippages due to loss of road adhesion. Do not worry. Not all tire slippages result in crashing into lamppost/tree. Some drivers called this drifting. A technique once mastered can be useful in certain emergency/under-powered car.

↡ Advertisement