Is 2005 S-class worth buying?

Jamessoh

Neutral Newbie

Hi there,

Posting this on behalf of my uncle who is considering buying a second hand S class. Noticed that a number of S280 are going at around $90k, when new is perhaps around $280k. Thus the brunt of depreciation has already occurred. Moreover paper value is high, thus downside is protected.

Anyone got any views on used 2005 S280?

Thanks in advance....

↡ Advertisement

quite worth it if you consider depreciation is only around 10k.

running costs would be a different matter though. i've not heard of anyone discuss W220's fuel economy, presumably anyone who has one wouldn't care. servicing would most likely need to be done at C&C since you're alr buying a premium car. its $2,148 (for S280) road tax is still considered okay.

Dad use to hv 1.

S280

7-8km/l

It ard 200-220hp?

Pick up is bad.

Fuel tank v big 80l I think ? Take v long to pump.

I don't like to drive it, very long. Not nice at all.

But being passengers is diff, very song.

Massive rear leg n head room.

Feeling like sitting at home sofa Lol.

Neutral Newbie

yes, plan to drive for 3-4yrs then get rid of it. but anytime the car give big problem can always scrap and get money back from LTA.

Is it using airmatic suspension? If so, any repair will cost a lot of money.

Also alot of E.C.U. in that car,anything wrong will easily costs thousands.

The point of buying second hand is to avoid losing a lot of money on depreciation.

However got to look out for wear and tear parts replacement, which is unavoidable for any used car.

Moat important thing is engine, transmission and chassis must be in good working order. No leaks, accident chassis, etc. STA can help you with the chassis and do a scan to see if chassis alignment is out of tolerance levels, which may mean serious accident before. Don't think they can help much to diagnose engine and transmission.

For M112 SOHC V6 engine on S280, check for seepage and leaks. Seepage and leaks may mean valve cover gasket worn, which is cheap to replace. This is very common for all continental engines, i guess due to singapore's climate, so don't write the whole car off. Or may mean something more serious which may need workshop technician to diagnose.

Transmission usually needs flushing and replacement of ATF and filter every 60,000 km. So if the car is 120,000km is time for another tranny servicing.

Workshops popular with older mercs: MBM at sin ming and riverview at AMK. I used to own a merc and these two are the workshops i trust after warranty ended. Even for my BMWs, i do go to Riverview sometimes, besides pro-BMW places such as Boss and BVO. Unfortunately they don't do Merc.

Hi there,

Posting this on behalf of my uncle who is considering buying a second hand S class. Noticed that a number of S280 are going at around $90k, when new is perhaps around $280k. Thus the brunt of depreciation has already occurred. Moreover paper value is high, thus downside is protected.

Anyone got any views on used 2005 S280?

Thanks in advance....

My boss just changed his 3 years old S350, according to him its a very problematic car.

how about 730i? r u getting the long body?

From what I have heard, I think its best fo avoid 2nd hand BMWs, esp those after 5yrs as its not very reliable.