Engine Oil level question

Spiderman302

Can some expert offer some advice for the following :

Must engine oil be filled up to the "full" level ?

As the dip stick shows both "L" and "H" mark, theoretically 3/4 full should be ok right ?

↡ Advertisement

As the dip stick shows both "L" and "H" mark, theoretically 3/4 full should be ok right ?

Wonder why this post is posted 3 times ? I only click post once !!!! [dizzy] [dizzy] [dizzy] [dizzy]

Neutral Newbie

got the same issue, just recently changed engine oil, and there was a leak. only replace the gasket 2 weeks after servicing and the oil level currently is about 4/5. since i just serviced, that means i have another almost 10k to go before my next oil change.

is it healthy for the engine to be running on a less than full EO?

Most ws in Singapore will overfill your engine oil. Example, your engine needs 3.7L, your mech will empty the full 4L; your engine needs 4.8L, your mech will empty 5L inside.

After every new oil change, I go home, use homemade pump DIY pump out 0.5L of engine oil, check oil level gum gum hor, at the upper mark.

Too much engine oil is very bad for the engine.

got the same issue, just recently changed engine oil, and there was a leak. only replace the gasket 2 weeks after servicing and the oil level currently is about 4/5. since i just serviced, that means i have another almost 10k to go before my next oil change.

is it healthy for the engine to be running on a less than full EO?

it is ok...............even 3/4 between L and H is good enough...........no worries.................just monitor and see if the level drops..............if it does...........top up abit will do............ [:)] [:)]

Most ws in Singapore will overfill your engine oil. Example, your engine needs 3.7L, your mech will empty the full 4L; your engine needs 4.8L, your mech will empty 5L inside.

After every new oil change, I go home, use homemade pump DIY pump out 0.5L of engine oil, check oil level gum gum hor, at the upper mark.

Too much engine oil is very bad for the engine.

U tell them how much to fill, if they can't follow such simple instruction, post their ws name here pls.

Any amount between h n l is ok.

Do not over fill. It bad for Ur engine.

H level allows you to monitor any slight engine oil loss without risk of engine oil lubrication failure

L level leaves you no room for such monitoring purpose

So better fill to H level, for peace of mind

Depend on what car you drive, if conti car that consume engine oil, Full or slightly more also ok. For Japanese or Korean car that doesn't consume oil, between 1/2 to 3/4 would be the best, if fill to full mark, engine would be sluggish.

I saw my WS pouring half or so, then use dip stick to check .. then pour again and check.

Separately, how WS tell the level when refill ATF ? Especially for those models without ATF dip stick.

Saw (again) my WS drain the old ATF, leaving it open, refill ATF until it flows out from opening ... then it put the screw back ... haha ... accurate mah ? [;)]

ATF machines are expensive investment but t least your mech should have simple evacuation/ refilling hand pump so that the amount needed is carefully measured and inject into the transmission.

post-272-1334620601_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

I always tell the workshop to fill up to 3/4 level only. Because I've got 2 bad experiences of overfilling (one at AD). The AD mechanic even show me that the 'correct' level of checking oil is to start the car engine and then check the oil immediately after stopping it.

For NA car, actually 3/4 level is just fine. No need to be so kiasu to fill up to full, as it is easy to overshoot. Overfilling is just as bad as underfilling.

ATF machines are expensive investment but t least your mech should have simple evacuation/ refilling hand pump so that the amount needed is carefully measured and inject into the transmission.

For auto transmission without a dip stick, the refill hole is usually at the side of the transmission and once full, excess ATF will flow out.

example

trans_fill.jpg

Edited by Trex101