Bad Servicing Experience - Komoco uses TAP water in coolant

Civicblade

You might want to skip the coolant replacement at Komoco and have this replacement done somewhere else that uses premix coolant or with distilled water.

I was at Komoco for their package C servicing which includes coolant replacement. I was shock to find out that Komoco is not using original Hyundai premix coolant but some unknown brand concentrate and they top up with tap water.. a strict no-no for radiators as tap water creates scaling in the radiator and engine blocks. It is even worst as the technician mixes the coolant to tap water ratio based on their gut feel rather than use measuring apparatus.

I was too late to stop them as I found out about their practise of using tap water only after they have replaced the coolant on my car. I got the coolant replaced with Mitsubishi long life coolant at another workshop right after the incident at Komoco. Mind you, owners pay a premium over outside workshop on their service packages. It is only right for Komoco to use genuine parts/fluids for servicing.

Other than the coolant issue, I encountered another very unpleasant incident.

The service advisor reversed my car into a parked Avante at the quick service centre area. My bumper was scratched as a result but the Avante bumper got scratches and some minor misalignment of the bumper. No news from Komoco regarding goodwill compensation. So I guess Komoco is now out of question for any of my future servicing, their loss not mine.

Hyundai owners.. be extra cautious when servicing with Komoco. If your car is under warranty, I guess you do not have a choice. If warranty has already expired, there are many other well established workshop out there that provides better value and money servicing for our Hyundai cars.

↡ Advertisement

Such service happens in every AD. Not

Only Komoco. So I stop going to

AD after mine FOC service package.

Not only they service car w/o proper

Knowledge, the waiting time is

Killing too. Really a waste of time

Hanging around and waiting for the

car to be serviced.

Such service happens in every AD. Not

Only Komoco. So I stop going to

AD after mine FOC service package.

Not only they service car w/o proper

Knowledge, the waiting time is

Killing too. Really a waste of time

Hanging around and waiting for the

car to be serviced.

But how to maintain the warranty if you get serviced outside?

You might want to skip the coolant replacement at Komoco and have this replacement done somewhere else that uses premix coolant or with distilled water.

I was at Komoco for their package C servicing which includes coolant replacement. I was shock to find out that Komoco is not using original Hyundai premix coolant but some unknown brand concentrate and they top up with tap water.. a strict no-no for radiators as tap water creates scaling in the radiator and engine blocks. It is even worst as the technician mixes the coolant to tap water ratio based on their gut feel rather than use measuring apparatus.

I was too late to stop them as I found out about their practise of using tap water only after they have replaced the coolant on my car. I got the coolant replaced with Mitsubishi long life coolant at another workshop right after the incident at Komoco. Mind you, owners pay a premium over outside workshop on their service packages. It is only right for Komoco to use genuine parts/fluids for servicing.

Other than the coolant issue, I encountered another very unpleasant incident.

The service advisor reversed my car into a parked Avante at the quick service centre area. My bumper was scratched as a result but the Avante bumper got scratches and some minor misalignment of the bumper. No news from Komoco regarding goodwill compensation. So I guess Komoco is now out of question for any of my future servicing, their loss not mine.

Hyundai owners.. be extra cautious when servicing with Komoco. If your car is under warranty, I guess you do not have a choice. If warranty has already expired, there are many other well established workshop out there that provides better value and money servicing for our Hyundai cars.

Many thanks for sharing with us. Perhaps many of us already aware that AD employ mostly Apprentices. The better ones normally got pinched off by other workshops soon. Sometimes it is better not to go to AD for servicing.

Example: all my cars never go for servicing before VICOM inspections, yet passed each inspections with all clear. Except for one Fiat which had servicing on the eve of VICOM inspection. Of course failed the brake testing because the AD (MASSA MOTORS) did not know how to the service brakes. Need to outsource to others to get the brake serviced. I never got faith in AD doing brakes thereafter. Of course MASSA MOTORS closed down.

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Neutral Newbie

Don't just lambast Komoco.

Many workshops in SG use tap water.

Try asking Stamford Tyres how they do the coolant flush ?

Edited by Qms

But how to maintain the warranty if you get serviced outside?

Buy a car brand which doesn't void your warranty even if you service outside lor....

I bought my car from komoco

but they said I can get first 3 free service

from comfort delgro so I hv never been back.

I dun know if this offer is still on.

:D

Twincharged

Seen many workshops using tap water as well. Most only use distilled water if the owner standing there watching.

Owners should insist that workshop uses premix coolant.

Mitsubishi long life coolant is 30% anti-freeze and anti-corrosion compound and the rest are de-ionized distilled water. This ratio is better for tropics (non-freezing) as it contains higher water ratio than the usual 50-50 used by most mechanic in workshops.

Scaling and deposit only start to show up after ~2-3years of use of tap water in the radiator. I have had bad experience with scaling in one of previous vehicles due to tap water being used.

Seen many workshops using tap water as well. Most only use distilled water if the owner standing there watching.

Twincharged

Owners should insist that workshop uses premix coolant.

Mitsubishi long life coolant is 30% anti-freeze and anti-corrosion compound and the rest are de-ionized distilled water. This ratio is better for tropics (non-freezing) as it contains higher water ratio than the usual 50-50 used by most mechanic in workshops.

Scaling and deposit only start to show up after ~2-3years of use of tap water in the radiator. I have had bad experience with scaling in one of previous vehicles due to tap water being used.

Which car is that? My previous car didn't bother and just use tap water for 10 years. No problems at all. Current car also just use tap water and now in the 5th year already still ok.

hmmm act my workshop has been using tap water for coolant maintenance. no problems at all for both my cars w them for the past 8 yrs.

Which car? My old matrix radiator leak at 3.5 years when no more in warranty....... :angry:

Which car? My old matrix radiator leak at 3.5 years when no more in warranty....... :angry:

nissan presea and lancer. lancer 6 yrs old next month. [:)]

Yes. I have known some car owners ..all top up with tap water with no problems.

I used to top up with tap water too. If the workshop does it too in front of me, I wouldn't care.

Which car is that? My previous car didn't bother and just use tap water for 10 years. No problems at all. Current car also just use tap water and now in the 5th year already still ok.

Edited by Davidtkl

Hi Bros,

Please don't be sua ku seeing people use tap water with coolant . If people tell you that they use distilled water for mixing . You are corned !!! In Singapore , i can say everyones use tap water to top up or mix with coolant for cooling system . Just imaging , if you send you car in for coolant flushing . You expect the workshop to carry-out flushing of radiator using distilled water ? Unlikely . How much are they going to charge you . Do you know how expensive for them to install a distilled water dispenser ? How expensive for the maintenance of that dispenser ??? As for coolant , there are many workshop uses so called original brand coolant . But they get those which is ok for local temperature range coolant only . Coolant are almost the same except with brand or without brand . Same like engine oil , some engine oil brands like Nissan , Mit , Toyota , Lexus and so on . The engine oil manufacture company can come from Shell , Mobil , Esso , Castrol and so on which is blended in Singapore . As long as it suits the climate in local and you are quite safe to use . Same like coolant . As long as you don't get the Brand X , Y , Z . You are quite safe to use on your car . Actually there are many lubricants or fuilds that used in your car may not be original brand . They may be so called OEM ones . Same like parts in your car . So please don't blame or point fingers on Komoco . There are some company did the same thing . Corrosion in cooling system in you car doesn't mean it is your coolant having problem . It can come from you engine are ageing or going to down soon . Coolant does not really stop or prevent rust happen in your cooling system . As the lubricants in the coolant are not in high percentage . As long as the water that goes in is clean , it is good enough already . [:)]

Edited by Phuabe2192
↡ Advertisement