Bad Servicing Experience - Komoco uses TAP water in coolant

Civicblade

Corrosion in cooling system in you car doesn't mean it is your coolant having problem . It can come from you engine are ageing or going to down soon .

What is engine aging? What is engine going down soon? Going down where?

Coolant does not really stop or prevent rust happen in your cooling system . As the lubricants in the coolant are not in high percentage . As long as the water that goes in is clean , it is good enough already . [:)]

What coolant do you use? Mine contains lots of rust inhibitors but no antifreeze.

:D

Singapore n only a few other places can use tap water. Because our water comes from rainwater n not underground aquifers so the water is considered "soft", not "hard". Even in my dishwasher I adjust the softener to minimum. Actually I doubt even need any. Just look at our taps. Minimum scaling even after using for decades!

Neutral Newbie

I put tap water on a sprayer and spray on a hot throttle body.

After the water all evaporated, you can see fine salt left behind.

If you think those salt doesn't hurt your radiator and cooling system...good for you.

Edited by Qms

I would love to see Komoco issue a statement from their principal, Hyundai Motors Korea, that says coolant using tap water as the main medium is good for Hyundai vehicles. With this statement, I will rest my case and perhaps issue an apology on MCF and delete this thread.

The user manual specifically indicate that no hard water to be used in the coolant. To me, the tap water in Singapore is "hard" enough for me not wanting it in my radiator or engine block.

If a car owner can afford to pay thousands a year in road tax and 70k for ten year permission to use a car.. I do not see why car owners would make a fuss of having to pay an extra $5-10 for using distilled water.

I did a coolant replacement right after my servicing at Komoco just to flush out the tap water that is in the car. It cost me $36 for the premixed coolant (8 litres) and $15 for labour to have the coolant replaced and as usual, as a law-abidding citizen, I paid GST too both on parts and labour.

I would have glad brought my own premixed Hyundai branded coolant for Komoco to replace if I had known earlier that they are using tap water.

Hi Bros,

Please don't be sua ku seeing people use tap water with coolant . If people tell you that they use distilled water for mixing . You are corned !!! In Singapore , i can say everyones use tap water to top up or mix with coolant for cooling system . Just imaging , if you send you car in for coolant flushing . You expect the workshop to carry-out flushing of radiator using distilled water ? Unlikely . How much are they going to charge you . Do you know how expensive for them to install a distilled water dispenser ? How expensive for the maintenance of that dispenser ??? As for coolant , there are many workshop uses so called original brand coolant . But they get those which is ok for local temperature range coolant only . Coolant are almost the same except with brand or without brand . Same like engine oil , some engine oil brands like Nissan , Mit , Toyota , Lexus and so on . The engine oil manufacture company can come from Shell , Mobil , Esso , Castrol and so on which is blended in Singapore . As long as it suits the climate in local and you are quite safe to use . Same like coolant . As long as you don't get the Brand X , Y , Z . You are quite safe to use on your car . Actually there are many lubricants or fuilds that used in your car may not be original brand . They may be so called OEM ones . Same like parts in your car . So please don't blame or point fingers on Komoco . There are some company did the same thing . Corrosion in cooling system in you car doesn't mean it is your coolant having problem . It can come from you engine are ageing or going to down soon . Coolant does not really stop or prevent rust happen in your cooling system . As the lubricants in the coolant are not in high percentage . As long as the water that goes in is clean , it is good enough already . [:)]

You might want to skip the coolant replacement at Komoco and have this replacement done somewhere else that uses premix coolant or with distilled water.

I was at Komoco for their package C servicing which includes coolant replacement. I was shock to find out that Komoco is not using original Hyundai premix coolant but some unknown brand concentrate and they top up with tap water.. a strict no-no for radiators as tap water creates scaling in the radiator and engine blocks. It is even worst as the technician mixes the coolant to tap water ratio based on their gut feel rather than use measuring apparatus.

I was too late to stop them as I found out about their practise of using tap water only after they have replaced the coolant on my car. I got the coolant replaced with Mitsubishi long life coolant at another workshop right after the incident at Komoco. Mind you, owners pay a premium over outside workshop on their service packages. It is only right for Komoco to use genuine parts/fluids for servicing.

Other than the coolant issue, I encountered another very unpleasant incident.

The service advisor reversed my car into a parked Avante at the quick service centre area. My bumper was scratched as a result but the Avante bumper got scratches and some minor misalignment of the bumper. No news from Komoco regarding goodwill compensation. So I guess Komoco is now out of question for any of my future servicing, their loss not mine.

Hyundai owners.. be extra cautious when servicing with Komoco. If your car is under warranty, I guess you do not have a choice. If warranty has already expired, there are many other well established workshop out there that provides better value and money servicing for our Hyundai cars.

relax ar boy..using tap water is normal ar..mine being using for 5years aso nothing happen..somemore mine is MIT car...

u really treat ur car like wife.. korean car quality is very good.. so dun worry that ur engine wont get block..

Dun need to refer user manual.. of cos they will put in wad is the best for car & sometime is not

u can afford to buy car & no $ to use distrilled water.. is juz not necessary u see..

Coolant has antifreeze properties, which we do not need in singapore.

Also, singapore water is soft, not hard like australia, china, europe and usa.

I learnt about how soft our water is when the pediatrician advised me to use only heated evian water for mixing my baby's milk powder when travelling to australia. This is not necessary in singapore.

To many, I might be over reacting. But the "over reacting" comes from having bad experiences with scaling when tap water was used in my previous vehicle.

And once scale forms over the inner surface of the radiator and engine block, it is almost impossible to remove them other than treating them with some nasty chemicals and acids.. and the results are not exactly guaranteed.

Granted that Singapore's tap water is considered "soft" compared to many other countries but it is still treated with salts.

http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/Pages/WaterTreatment.aspx

So why take the risk. I'm just trying to inform fellow motorist of a simple coolant replacement procedure to stick to that will ensure that your cooling system performs optimally for at least the 10years that comes with your COE.

I still do not see why distilled water or premixed coolant cannot be used for coolant replacement. Motorist should insist on that and not take the convenient excuse given by workshop that tap water is ok to be used.

relax ar boy..using tap water is normal ar..mine being using for 5years aso nothing happen..somemore mine is MIT car...

u really treat ur car like wife.. korean car quality is very good.. so dun worry that ur engine wont get block..

Dun need to refer user manual.. of cos they will put in wad is the best for car & sometime is not

u can afford to buy car & no $ to use distrilled water.. is juz not necessary u see..

Uncle,

I treat my wife much better than my car.. really.. I have to re-emphasize this point in case my wife visit MCF.

• Praise 1

Most, if not all w/s use tap water.

Nothing to be alarmed (not that I condone them).

For coolant replacement (if die die don't want tap water), buy premix coolant from stockist and bring it to outside w/s or DIY.

Also, I would rather w/s just drain off coolant and replace new premix coolant than flush with tap water and fill with premix coolant.

Edited by Kangadrool

Anti-freeze are glycol, if mixed correctly, not only reduce freezing temp it also does improve the coolant boiling temp. Google glyco, I am sure you can get all the right info.

I use tap water for my coolant for so many years also no problem! Singapore Tap water is soft not hard! There're no salt in Singapore Tap water fyi. We're not salt water fishes so we drink only fresh water.

Neutral Newbie

I use tap water for my coolant for so many years also no problem! Singapore Tap water is soft not hard! There're no salt in Singapore Tap water fyi. We're not salt water fishes so we drink only fresh water.

Yes.. there is no Sodium Chloride.. but there are a whole lot of other salts in PUB water... go check out their website then you know what you are drinking..

Thanks for the heads up, i have been servicing mine with komoco since day one for the last 5 yrs. My servicing next month will be my last with them le. Not really satisfied with them especially the dam long waiting time.

That said, any bros care to recommend a good and reliable workshop to service my hyundai?

↡ Advertisement