South Korea: Self Drive Trip

Sofarsogood

Hello,

Any of you ever self-drive in Korea before? I plan to do one in Mar-Apr 2012, start from Seoul, then to Busan, then fly to Jeju Island. I understand we need an International Driving License to do that. Also, traffic within Seoul can be bad, but then I will most probably leave the city upon collecting the car.

Thoughts, opinions?

↡ Advertisement

Hello,

Any of you ever self-drive in Korea before? I plan to do one in Mar-Apr 2012, start from Seoul, then to Busan, then fly to Jeju Island. I understand we need an International Driving License to do that. Also, traffic within Seoul can be bad, but then I will most probably leave the city upon collecting the car.

Thoughts, opinions?

Not only traffic in Seoul is bad.. the drivers themselves are quite crazy too.. Though not nearly as insane as China/Vietnam/Jakarta..

Hello,

Thoughts, opinions?

Not easy is all I can say....first its American style...left hand drive.

Then the road signs are farking confusing...some on the poles...some are on the road...if I remember correctly...they do not have U turns...they have Y turns...whereby if you want to make a U-turn you will need to turn to the opp side and then turn out again to complete the turnabout. Motorbike rules in Seoul...

But once outta the city...traffic is much better....Seoul traffic is heavy...but nothing like major city in China etc...

My suggestion not to drive in mainland Korea. Their transport system is very good. But driving in Jeju is fun. I did that many years ago.

Join the tour package in mainland Korea, then extend a week n self drive in Jeju.

Neutral Newbie

Tyongchi, can I ask you for more details?

Is traffic in Jeju high?

Do you rent the car at Jeju airport?

Do they have GPS or english GPS?

thanks, plan to go there in april this year! :)

later drive drive blur blur go into north Korea how? [laugh] [laugh]

No worries, just put a China flag in front of the car, North and South Korea will also give some face. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement