• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
1243 replies to this topic | 1,005 praises

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Dear bros (and sisters),

I know there have been threads about this, but I would be very grateful for a patient and helpful reply. :)

I'm planning a trip (around 4 nights) to Cameron Highlands in early June with my family. My first time there. I'd like to stay near the summit of the hill if possible (not at the foothills). I'm thinking of putting up at the Brinchang Equatorial.

Do any of you have any helpful pointers about reasonably priced but comfortable accommodation nearer the summit? There will be a total of 4 adults and a child, with 2 adults and the child (5 years old) in one room/chalet. Not particular about meals, since we're all strict vegetarians, so would be packing our own food. I have AA and NTUC membership - any accommodations with special discounts for these cards?

Also, I would be grateful for any tips or pointers on the best route to take (I'm driving there).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Turboflat4, 17 May 2010 - 12:16 PM.

We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it; any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Dear bros (and sisters),

I know there have been threads about this, but I would be very grateful for a patient and helpful reply. :)

I'm planning a trip (around 4 nights) to Cameron Highlands in early June with my family. My first time there. I'd like to stay near the summit of the hill if possible (not at the foothills). I'm thinking of putting up at the Brinchang Equatorial.

Do any of you have any helpful pointers about reasonably priced but comfortable accommodation nearer the summit? There will be a total of 4 adults and a child, with 2 adults and the child (5 years old) in one room/chalet. Not particular about meals, since we're all strict vegetarians, so would be packing our own food. I have AA and NTUC membership - any accommodations with special discounts for these cards?

Also, I would be grateful for any tips or pointers on the best route to take (I'm driving there).

Thanks in advance.

the last time i went to CH.... i did not pre-book any hotel.... i went there to walk in to book.... about 30% off the rates found on internet...
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

the last time i went to CH.... i did not pre-book any hotel.... i went there to walk in to book.... about 30% off the rates found on internet...

Thanks for the advice. Did you go during off peak times - concerned about school hol rush. Also, which hotel did you stay in, please? Was it near the summit?
We live in a primitive time, don't we, Will? Neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it; any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

June being a school holiday..... most places would be jammed packed (especially weekends) and the hotel rates are also higher.

Equitorial is probably the highest hotel you can get.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

Dwoon
  • Premium member
    Dwoon
    6th Gear
    Author Image

June being a school holiday..... most places would be jammed packed (especially weekends) and the hotel rates are also higher.

Equitorial is probably the highest hotel you can get.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

Picnic06-Biante15
  • Premium member
    Picnic06-Biante15
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hi....

Go & look at the Categories and click onto the 'General' icon to look for Road Trip. There is one put up by fellow MCF by the name of Shull.

Look for the title : Shull's Road Trip to Cameron Highland. He also attach some pictures of CH...... thumbsup.gif

enjoy your trip...... drivingcar.gif drivingcar.gif

Edited by Picnic06, 17 May 2010 - 03:14 PM.

"Genius is One Per Cent INSPIRATION, Ninety-nine Per Cent PERSPIRATION"

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

Bavarian

Dear bros (and sisters),

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned, Equatorial is the highest hotel. You can buy all the vege you can eat at Kea Market which is a short walk from the Equatorial. Bring along something to cook (not allowed in rooms but you can sly.gif ). I think Equatorial has got something like an Apartment for family but I am not too sure about that.

I personally prefer Strawberry park which is lower down, between Tanah Ratah and Brinchang as it is more out of the way and has a more resort feel than Equatorial (too singaporish IMO). Prices are comparable IIRC. Weather wise, From Tanah Ratah (lower) to Equatorial (slightly higher) are similar. SBP is nearer to Tanah Ratah and Brinchang so its more convenient to go places.

I like to take the old route up. Exit Tapah and follow the signs. You can stop at the waterfall halfway up. Drive slowly to enjoy the scenary.
Take the new way down (Simpang Pulai) because its safer as I tend to go faster downhill.

Allow 6 hours from Singapore to Tapah. And 1+ hour from Tapah to Brinchang. If you need anything else, just gimme a shout. happy.gif
I think, therefore I am.
I think so, therefore I erm...

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks for the advice. Did you go during off peak times - concerned about school hol rush. Also, which hotel did you stay in, please? Was it near the summit?

went in nov or dec'08... stayed in this hotel

Hotel Rosa

was driving an accord..... has basement carpark with security guard, small carpark so the guard can practically see the whole carpark but very dark..... or outdoor carpark as in picture.

night market is just few mins walk away....

not sure if it is near summit... it seems to be in the middle of top and bottom
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks again to everyone for their patient and helpful replies. cool.gif

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Berncsp76
  • Premium member
    Berncsp76
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

hi bro you can read up the road trips folder as what another bro has shown you the link. I have contributed some tips and photos too.

FYI, Equatorial has apartments beside their hotel and managed by external parties. If I am not wrong pricing should be about RM$350 per apartment that comes with kitchenette and 2 bedrooms. I din stay there though, just went to check it out. biggrin.gif

The contact person is Mdm Goh and her contact is 0134071018. You may check with her on the room rates.

Btw, there are lots of steamboat restaurants around the town areas and since you are driving so would be no problem. Just ask around for vegetarian steamboat and you can enjoy since vegetables are plentiful there! laugh.gif

Enjoy your trip bro and have a safe journey! cool.gif drivingcar.gif

P/S: If you enjoy tea remember to go to Gunung Brinchang Boh tea centre. If you like the smell of teh si without the sugar recommended you to buy the Sri Songket range of Vanilla tea in tin boxes, which can only be bought there. Highly Recommended!! laugh.gif

Edited by Berncsp76, 17 May 2010 - 05:23 PM.

I am the XMM TIKO RANGER!

Success is a journey...not a destination - Steven Gerrard

Dare we dream...YNWA!

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

Flying_genie
  • Flying_genie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

As mentioned by others here, Equatorial is a good bet if u intend to stay close to the highest point. They have 2 and 3 bedroom chalets, as well as normal hotel rooms. The 2-bedroom units have a queen bed in 1 room and 2 single beds in the other. The 3-bedroom units have 2 queen beds and 2 single beds. No cooking allowed in the chalets. Do check their website for more pics and information. If you decide to stay at Equatorial, it will be easier to drive up via Simpang Pulai (off the North-South Highway).

As the Malaysian school holidays partly co-incide (they have 2 weeks in June) with ours, I recommend you pre-book your accomodation, especially if it's during weekends.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Leclair
  • Premium member
    Leclair
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

4 nites in CH means 5 days 4nites there?

unless TS has something planned, else to me it will be boring after a while. thats for me personally.

We stayed there for 3 days 2 nites and 3 families went up. after one day or 2 we ran out of things to do. We went around the different attraction near the "central", the markets, the different farms, we went far out to the Boh tea plantation to try to eat the scones, strawberry picking, buy the sweet corns which you can eat raw and its sweet .........

BUt thats about all there is to CH, apart from enjoying the weather...

Correct me if i am wrong....

My own words
"The world lost Mr Lee Kuan Yew. We lost our world"
"Under Mr Lee is like his NS policy- hard to take in the beginning but the appreciation of all of it will come at the end. Just like boys to men, Mr Lee helped us grow into a nation."

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

Hammerhammer
  • Premium member
    Hammerhammer
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I prefer strawberry park. A bit old but more quiet cos it is off main road. I prefer secluded places. They have suites with attached living/dining and kitchenette.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

4 nites in CH means 5 days 4nites there?

unless TS has something planned, else to me it will be boring after a while. thats for me personally.

We stayed there for 3 days 2 nites and 3 families went up. after one day or 2 we ran out of things to do. We went around the different attraction near the "central", the markets, the different farms, we went far out to the Boh tea plantation to try to eat the scones, strawberry picking, buy the sweet corns which you can eat raw and its sweet .........

BUt thats about all there is to CH, apart from enjoying the weather...

Correct me if i am wrong....

That's a good point. I might shorten the stay.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hi bro you can read up the road trips folder as what another bro has shown you the link. I have contributed some tips and photos too.

FYI, Equatorial has apartments beside their hotel and managed by external parties. If I am not wrong pricing should be about RM$350 per apartment that comes with kitchenette and 2 bedrooms. I din stay there though, just went to check it out. biggrin.gif

The contact person is Mdm Goh and her contact is 0134071018. You may check with her on the room rates.

Btw, there are lots of steamboat restaurants around the town areas and since you are driving so would be no problem. Just ask around for vegetarian steamboat and you can enjoy since vegetables are plentiful there! laugh.gif

Enjoy your trip bro and have a safe journey! cool.gif drivingcar.gif

P/S: If you enjoy tea remember to go to Gunung Brinchang Boh tea centre. If you like the smell of teh si without the sugar recommended you to buy the Sri Songket range of Vanilla tea in tin boxes, which can only be bought there. Highly Recommended!! laugh.gif

Brilliant! Thanks for all the useful info, bro, I think I'll call Mdm Goh soon. thumbsup.gif

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

Redstorm
  • Premium member
    Redstorm
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Brilliant! Thanks for all the useful info, bro, I think I'll call Mdm Goh soon. thumbsup.gif

Many mentioned about Equatorial Hotel being at the highest but it is not true. I previously stayed at the Century Pine Resort which is even higher than the former. I like this hotel as there are not F&B outlets within walking distance (between 100 to 300m) including Coffee Beans (or was it Starbuck?), Merrybrown, buffet steamboat restaurants, and etc. Looking at my mapsource, tHere are even smaller accomodations situated at higher ground like Desa Anthurium, Agapanthus Homestay, Orchid Homestay, M & Z Homestay, Angerik Desa Chalet, De La Ferns Hotel, Rose Cottage, Ye Olde Smokehouse, Casa Dela Rosa, Villa Dahlia, Cameron Highland Resort, and etc. Take your pick!! biggrin.gif

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

Flying_genie
  • Flying_genie
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Many mentioned about Equatorial Hotel being at the highest but it is not true. I previously stayed at the Century Pine Resort which is even higher than the former. I like this hotel as there are not F&B outlets within walking distance (between 100 to 300m) including Coffee Beans (or was it Starbuck?), Merrybrown, buffet steamboat restaurants, and etc. Looking at my mapsource, tHere are even smaller accomodations situated at higher ground like Desa Anthurium, Agapanthus Homestay, Orchid Homestay, M & Z Homestay, Angerik Desa Chalet, De La Ferns Hotel, Rose Cottage, Ye Olde Smokehouse, Casa Dela Rosa, Villa Dahlia, Cameron Highland Resort, and etc. Take your pick!! biggrin.gif

Equatorial is located at Kea Farm. Century Pine is located at Tanah Rata. (It's a Starbucks at Tanah Rata). Most of the other accomodation you mentioned are located at Tanah Rata. Kea Farm district is definitely at a higher elevation than Tanah Rata.

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Avantism
  • Avantism
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Watever u do dun forget to go up Gunung Brinchang.
If ur adventurous enough u can drive up but the track is narrow w only a single car to pass thru. sweatdrop.gif
Or u can just rent a jeep plus driver from EQ to go up..
The view up there is really something..its worth the climb. thumbsup.gif
While on ur way down u can stop by the tea centre for hot scones n tea..n listen to some tea making history.

Other then e above,lookup in the roadtrip folder..its loaded w info especially e one titled Shull something...

Hve a joyous trip... biggrin.gif

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

As mentioned, Equatorial is the highest hotel. You can buy all the vege you can eat at Kea Market which is a short walk from the Equatorial. Bring along something to cook (not allowed in rooms but you can sly.gif ). I think Equatorial has got something like an Apartment for family but I am not too sure about that.

I personally prefer Strawberry park which is lower down, between Tanah Ratah and Brinchang as it is more out of the way and has a more resort feel than Equatorial (too singaporish IMO). Prices are comparable IIRC. Weather wise, From Tanah Ratah (lower) to Equatorial (slightly higher) are similar. SBP is nearer to Tanah Ratah and Brinchang so its more convenient to go places.

I like to take the old route up. Exit Tapah and follow the signs. You can stop at the waterfall halfway up. Drive slowly to enjoy the scenary.
Take the new way down (Simpang Pulai) because its safer as I tend to go faster downhill.

Allow 6 hours from Singapore to Tapah. And 1+ hour from Tapah to Brinchang. If you need anything else, just gimme a shout. happy.gif

==============

The last time we went we also stayed at the apartments near SBP. More convenient as we were somewhere in the middle & all the places were near by.

Also food at Tanah Ratah & Brinchang was near by so easy to go for makan.

But seriously, Cameron I found quite dull. Nothing much except the cool climate. I went once & I think thats enough. Ive seen all I needed to see & unlikely wil go a 2nd time.

Now Kuantan is different. There got many things to see & do. I hope to go again. Maybe can stop by 1 night in the next trip to Kenyir Lake. drivingcar.gif

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Pisces69
  • Premium member
    Pisces69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Watever u do dun forget to go up Gunung Brinchang.
If ur adventurous enough u can drive up but the track is narrow w only a single car to pass thru. sweatdrop.gif
Or u can just rent a jeep plus driver from EQ to go up..
The view up there is really something..its worth the climb. thumbsup.gif
While on ur way down u can stop by the tea centre for hot scones n tea..n listen to some tea making history.

Other then e above,lookup in the roadtrip folder..its loaded w info especially e one titled Shull something...

Hve a joyous trip... biggrin.gif

===============

We drove up to the very top of the mountain. The last part is a very steep road up to the flower orchard & can b quite scary.

The view from the very top was fantastic. thumbsup.gif

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users