National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

Israeli citizens of Arab descent can choose not to serve military service, but most will choose to serve. Because they cannot find a job otherwise. In Singapore, any honest employer will tell you that given a choice, they would rather employ someone without reservist liabilities.

This being a car forum, let's use a car analogy. All else being the same, would you prefer to buy "car FT" , a car you can use everyday, or "car NS" that will disappear for a week or two every year? When you pile in the 20% Employer's CPF, buying the "car NS" makes no sense at all.

Compared that with how the foreigners kpkb about the 10% stamp duty for private property.

Sure NS pay is well higher than the 200 a month I used to collect. But is it close to market rates? Singapore government talk about free market about everything else, so how much would the free market charge for a 2 year contract of a healthy 18yo man? Why ask Singaporean men to disproportionately contribute their youth and money to defence?

Dont the women and foreigners enjoy the fruits of NS as well? Can't we tax them more to raise NS pay?

I like the way you put it.

↡ Advertisement

Anyone here think that Officer training should be longer?

GOH CHEE KONG

Senior Vice President, Communications & Services

SMRT Corporation Ltd Goh Chee Kong, 55, is Senior Vice President, Communications & Services. He leads the company

How did he get commissioned as Officer in the first place, unless there is a problem in the selection system?

So this type of systemic failure does not happened only in SMRT, it even occur in the military? [laugh]

But given the short stint to be trained as an officer, it's only a matter of time the memory lapse will set in when one join the workforce. But as an Officer, he should take the responsibility to ensure what he does. The training schedule should be weeks before the reservice and he should have taken initiative to know what are the activities, polish up his skills if he has memory lapse.

I believe they never send him to IHM for observation first. [:p]

I believe training is to improve those who are suitable only. Perhaps we need to seat any such retarded officers under a tree for lightning to strike first. Hopefully they get enlightened thereafter. :o

GOH CHEE KONG

Senior Vice President, Communications & Services

SMRT Corporation Ltd Goh Chee Kong, 55, is Senior Vice President, Communications & Services. He leads the company

You can use that as a life long experience of what not to do when you are running your life, family and organisation.

ya, i alwayz take my ns experience as a lesson in life.....no matter what life or the gov throws at you even if its a curveball, just take it in a stride...cos it may be much worst!

Erm... I asking y u think loverofcar is a guniang aka woman..... Not the son... *facepalm*

I never said LoverOfCar is a guniang. He/She may be a macho foreigner, like Janil "Saving babies=NS" Puthucheary.

The only way LoverOfCar can ever be a guniang, is that he/she was one, but NS changed "him" to a "real man", and "he" was speaking from first hand experience about how "manly" NS made "him", at the 24th month, no less. Any less, and "he" would have remained a guniang half pass six "man".

ya, i alwayz take my ns experience as a lesson in life.....no matter what life or the gov throws at you even if its a curveball, just take it in a stride...cos it may be much worst!

n the govt expect to and want to keep singaporeans in singapore.

what they have to offer in return?....more FTs?

Yes and No for the more/less training.

Yes the training works for the military environment, it ingrained to them.

No it does not work when the military personnel get into a non-military environment. In other words this guy wasn't properly train when he was with the military organisation, because if he is more well verse in Sun Tzu strategy, then perhaps it will help more on the non-military aspect. [laugh]

My dad ever confessed to be puzzled why it was not so easy to train the employees he employed for production work in his workshop. However, he never had to train any of his children to do the same. All his children simply operated all production facilities like well trained operators. I believe to deploy only suitbale people for the job.

Mercy-mercy. I believe this man already senile dementia from excessive trainings. His logic: it is okay if my if passengers die, so long as my train not damaged. Rescuer(s) shall be charged for damageing property irregardless how many lives saved.

sad to say, these are the very pple that are running sg. i am not surprised he would be the 1st one to run road when all hell break loose. And i wont be surprised if he wants the army personal to pay for his own bullets n food should he still be in the army.

I believe the problem-avoiding-people had wanted Singapore for Elites only. The influx of FT/FW was to drive Singaporeans out peacefully with emigrations. However, their plan now backfired . FT/FW want to be the new Elites, malingering , too. Since Singaporeans are emigrating, they will succeed as new Elites and local Elites.

sad to say, these are the very pple that are running sg. i am not surprised he would be the 1st one to run road when all hell break loose. And i wont be surprised if he wants the army personal to pay for his own bullets n food should he still be in the army.

Anyone knows if he discharged from army for his senile dementia condition?

actually when i served ns...we served singapore n not its leaders. heck i cant even remember who was the president then. but the ft thingy really struck a chord here! the gov should penalise them if they have pr-ship for a few yrs n still dont want to serve ns. hell, we had reservist up till the age of 35 n i am sure they can if they want to. worst are those who enjoyed the pr-ship for so long onky to return their blue ic when their children turn to serve ns. [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

no way...

If Ho Ching or Saw Phiak Hwa is the head of army, we'd lose all the confidence during war times

[laugh]

U r wrong, will lose all the defense budget even b4 the war... [:p] [:p] [:p]

U r wrong, will lose all the defense budget even b4 the war... [:p] [:p] [:p]

kns..if she was the head of army...all the tanks will run without tracks, all the weapons will have no ammo and last but not least all the camps will be converted to holidat chalet and the nsf will be the workers. cheap labour and can max out rental income [lipsrsealed][thumbsup] [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement