National Service in Singapore

Scb11980

Israeli citizens of Arab descent can choose not to serve military service, but most will choose to serve. Because they cannot find a job otherwise. In Singapore, any honest employer will tell you that given a choice, they would rather employ someone without reservist liabilities.

This being a car forum, let's use a car analogy. All else being the same, would you prefer to buy "car FT" , a car you can use everyday, or "car NS" that will disappear for a week or two every year? When you pile in the 20% Employer's CPF, buying the "car NS" makes no sense at all.

Compared that with how the foreigners kpkb about the 10% stamp duty for private property.

Sure NS pay is well higher than the 200 a month I used to collect. But is it close to market rates? Singapore government talk about free market about everything else, so how much would the free market charge for a 2 year contract of a healthy 18yo man? Why ask Singaporean men to disproportionately contribute their youth and money to defence?

Dont the women and foreigners enjoy the fruits of NS as well? Can't we tax them more to raise NS pay?

if i understand you correctly, yes most employer would choose someone without NS libilties

which is why i am saying there should be more protection for NS Men.

with regards to female competition i think the impact is not that great as there are still jobs that male are preffered

the biggest competition is FTs, cheaper because they dun have any liabilities here

and the greatest joke is to "embrace them in open arms" this really make my day.

the point is

do we need to review our NS policy at this current period of our Nation

when

there will eventually be more FTs than local

many PRs and FTs do not need to do NS

as locals we are disadvantage from housing to medical services

even recreations - we need to pay $100 to just get in

hence the question, who are we protecting

while in the army doing NS

we are not only loosing out only on time, but also career opportunity, financial opportunity and many more things

while in the army many also kena injuries

all these add up

what makes me even more frustrated is one FT can become MP and dont have to do NS and tell locals what to do

am i too siu hey (small air)

but i feel it is very unfair to those who have sons who have not yet been to NS

look at our president son - can defer until kingdom come until get so many degrees, if my son do that first, obviously i dont mind him doing NS too, especially if he too can secure a job for life like Patrick

am i asking too much

if i understand you correctly, yes most employer would choose someone without NS libilties

which is why i am saying there should be more protection for NS Men.

with regards to female competition i think the impact is not that great as there are still jobs that male are preffered

the biggest competition is FTs, cheaper because they dun have any liabilities here

and the greatest joke is to "embrace them in open arms" this really make my day.

embrace them as the New Elites as the Elites betrays Singaporeans.

the point is

when

we are not only loosing out only on time, but also career opportunity, financial opportunity and many more things

all these add up

what makes me even more frustrated is one FT can become MP and dont have to do NS and tell locals what to do

look at our president son - can defer until kingdom come until get so many degrees, if my son do that first, obviously i dont mind him doing NS too, especially if he too can secure a job for life like Patrick

am i asking too much

The best solution I believe would be for problem-absconding-people to breakup. and the sooner the better.

You are spot on. The NS experience has taught me to not ever use any of the organization structures and culture of the army in your life, your family, and your work.

I believe I am more productive in study and work after NS because I have to make for the the total waste of time and years lost in NS.

You can use that as a life long experience of what not to do when you are running your life, family and organisation.

You are not asking for too much.

Use your vote and your influence over other voters (people in your family, friends, relatives, colleagues) in the next general election to tell the government that mandatory NS is not welcomed and should be replaced by a full time professional armed forces.

the point is

when

all these add up

am i asking too much

Turbocharged

kns..if she was the head of army...all the tanks will run without tracks, all the weapons will have no ammo and last but not least all the camps will be converted to holidat chalet and the nsf will be the workers. cheap labour and can max out rental income [lipsrsealed][thumbsup] [thumbsup]

It may not be a bad thing. Who knows she may build a Vivo City in Sungei Gedong camp. [laugh]

ok let's do a pros and cons on NS

pros:

1. learn leadership, teamwork, man management

2. have experience that cannot be obtained in schools or work

3. become more independent

cons:

1. seriously cheap labour

2. waste 2 years of youth, arguably the best moments of life

3. pick up poor habits such as bochup, wayang, zhobo, eye power, swearing

4. can get charged easily

5. some element of danger involved

cons do outweigh pros by a little

It may not be a bad thing. Who knows she may build a Vivo City in Sungei Gedong camp. [laugh]

if ho ching is head of army, she will buy equipment and weapons at very high prices (from her "buy high, sell low" pattern)

if saw is head of army, she will lease out extra spaces in camps to earn revenue... might even use cable ties for thosee failing equipment

[laugh]

This is a classic case of self centredness and over protection of kids of a Singaporean reaching an all time high.

I find it hard to fathom that someone can suggest relaxing the issue of national security so that their kids "can have a better future".

I served my 2 years 4 month and did not feel short changed. I am sure many others that went through the same route the last 45 years felt the same too.I have seen many people that succeed in their lives and they served NS too.

I think you should migrate.

Personally, the mindset of the national is

if it is FREE we will keep it

hence, i dont envisage a possible reduction in our NS duration

what i am very worried about is

the world is moving so very fast

we already had been disadvantaged by NS, resulting in being 2 or 2 1/2 years behind our girls and our foreign classmates

in the future it will be worse for our children

even 6 months can mean a break or score

the economic cycle also is shorter

hence, i am just worried about our children

am i worrying too much for our kids

or should i just relax

TAIPEI

You are spot on. The NS experience has taught me to not ever use any of the organization structures and culture of the army in your life, your family, and your work.

I believe I am more productive in study and work after NS because I have to make for the the total waste of time and years lost in NS.

I do not not why some of you guys resent so much about NS. At the very beginning of my NS, I told myself, since I am going to spend 2.5 years in NS, might as well make full use of the time. A large part is waste of time, which I agree, but but there are some stuff that is useful later in live that was taught in NS. You can only learn something if you keep an open mind.

But one big thing I learn is to be much more appreciate of civilian life. When I was out in the hot tropical heat in Thailand just last year ( & I cannot stand hot weather), beaten by mosquitoes every night, & clothes so dirty & smelly, & rashes, abrasion all over the body. I did not hope for a new BMW, dinning in high class restaurant, or having a date with Megan Fox, but I thought to myself, " A nice hot shower, & siting on a bench with an ice cold coke, & that will be heaven."

ok let's do a pros and cons on NS

pros:

1. learn leadership, teamwork, man management

2. have experience that cannot be obtained in schools or work

3. become more independent

cons:

1. seriously cheap labour

2. waste 2 years of youth, arguably the best moments of life

3. pick up poor habits such as bochup, wayang, zhobo, eye power, swearing

4. can get charged easily

5. some element of danger involved

cons do outweigh pros by a little

pros 1. WRONG

if you try to be like Mr. Kee Chiu in the corporate world

you will have mass resignation and be the first out of the door

After NS, we become more discipline and responsible.

[;)]

i am not personal here but just responding to your comment only

if that is the case

there is something very wrong with our parents - upbringing, and school

then if this is really so

why FTs and PRs exempted

they have been benefiting from so much

why cant they also benefit more discipline and responsible like you say

↡ Advertisement