1. seriously cheap labour

2. waste 2 years of youth, arguably the best moments of life

3. pick up poor habits such as bochup, wayang, zhobo, eye power, swearing

4. can get charged easily

5. some element of danger involved

cons do outweigh pros by a little

Cons

1) Depending on the unit or vocation

2) again depending on the unit and vocation, it gave me time to train up and became fitter and stronger then before I was enlisted

3) depending on vocation and unit too.

4) Driving also very dangerous. walking in the streets also can get killed by vehicles. Everything we do has risk it how we managed the risk to reduce the hazards.

What we can advocate is how to reduce these cons and change it to pros.

We all been through National Service, we and many see the need to have national service. Now its how to reduce those cons and make it into a pro. [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

NS is very important to Singapore govt.. Why? Coz it provide many job opportunity. Imagine one day they scrap NS or ICT etc, many regulars will be jobless (unemployment rate increase), without the 2 yrs buffers, every yr many fresh grad sporean boy will enter the job mkt to find a job, govt will have hard time create jobs for these ppl (unemployment rate increase), companies like ST kinetic, ST engineering, SFI will all go bust (unemployment rate increase)... anyway these co. belong to TH, they will not let this happen.

NS is very important to Singapore govt.. Why? Coz it provide many job opportunity. Imagine one day they scrap NS or ICT etc, many regulars will be jobless (unemployment rate increase), without the 2 yrs buffers, every yr many fresh grad sporean boy will enter the job mkt to find a job, govt will have hard time create jobs for these ppl (unemployment rate increase), companies like ST kinetic, ST engineering, SFI will all go bust (unemployment rate increase)... anyway these co. belong to TH, they will not let this happen.

Waitaminute, according to the recently departed Badder, FTs were brought in to address an employment deficit. Meaning there were more job vacancies than could be filled with Singaporeans. [:/]

Hmmm... [laugh]

Despite how unwilling we are and the potential "fall" behind against competition...I still see minimum of 2years as a right time frame for NS...what can one learn in a short time frame of 1 years or so? By the time a soldier really can be independent fighter..it doesn take time for them to build the comradeship with their member of their fighting unit...so for me, I support the 2 years for a boy transformation to a really man....won't want my son to be a half pass six, half grown man....

I have a big issue with those who thump their chest and proclaim that serving NS is essential or helps in the transition of a BOY to a MAN (character building etc).

The above argument is very weak because if true, then many countries in the world which do not have conscription, are populated with BOYS rather MEN.

[cool]

I have a big issue with those who thump their chest and proclaim that serving NS is essential or helps in the transition of a BOY to a MAN (character building etc).

Eh.......NS also got take pen and take rifle leh, that might explain the manly difference [lipsrsealed] . My no. 4 smell like the dump after 5 days in the field straight. Good thing is my entire company smells like me [laugh]

my sleeve grew patches of cloudy whites , my thigh groin skin get sandpaper scrubbed when i missed cowboy walk, my shoulder felt funny like hot mint poured on top, my calves felt ever dead blood clog itchy , my lower back requires courage to bend forward as it never felt before

...such is a life in ns

i am not personal here but just responding to your comment only

if that is the case

there is something very wrong with our parents - upbringing, and school

then if this is really so

why FTs and PRs exempted

they have been benefiting from so much

why cant they also benefit more discipline and responsible like you say

FT will never want to go thru that kind of "discipline enviroment". Waking up early, sleepin on time, wash toilets, regular exercise, iron own clothes, kana F and never retort etc etc is the kind of discipliine we inculcate from the Army. Without all this, some of us never get to do it or help family members on it. Get the picture. :wacko:

FT will never want to go thru that kind of "discipline enviroment". Waking up early, sleepin on time, wash toilets, regular exercise, iron own clothes, kana F and never retort etc etc is the kind of discipliine we inculcate from the Army. Without all this, some of us never get to do it or help family members on it. Get the picture. :wacko:

ARMY - the best experience in your lifetime.

Do you think 2 years is even sufficient at all?

Even our NSFs can't even fight off robbers in JB, how are they even going to fight a real enemy? Think of it, majority of our men have served NS and still get attacked/rebbed in JB, without even displaying an act of self defence. For someone to invade us, their military will definitely be stronger than us, with bullets and explosions around, you see how many are shivering, freezing on their tracks and wetting their pants. On the other hand, if a US Marine or military personnel is here and you try to rob them, see what sort of response you'll receive from them.

The simulated attacks during exercises are nowhere real compared to the actual battlefield. In exercises, you know you are pretty safe in all your movements. Try that in war. All will either be hiding in trenches or behind the walls.

I still believe at this time, gradually moving towards a paid "volunteer" self-defence force with a 6 months of initial training followed by a 1 week annual ICT would be sufficient. Survival in a battlefield is based on instinct.

Wrong example.

If these man react n hurt the robber, they get arrested in foreign land.

They are there as tourist, not soldier.

To be frank, I think some things are just inherent to one's character. You probably didn't need NS to "learn" this. If not, NS, some other formative experience in your early work or higher education would've taught you the same thing. And, in contrast, the slacker who doesn't want to learn anything from NS wouldn't have learned anything at work either.

And, to those who insist NS builds character, many claim that a stint in prison also builds character, but who really wants to go to prison if he has a choice?

Well.... First thing is to get rid of stigma of having criminal record... If not, how to compare?

I ROD in 1987 and completed my 13-years cycle as a "Hello, roger, over and out" man.

NS is a waste of time lah and should be optional, those who say NS is good, great . . . go get enlisted and those who say NS is a waste of time, good . . . go find a job and start working or further your studies.

Make it optional lah.

BTW, do male MPs go for ICT or IPPT or RT? If no, why not?

Supercharged

Make it optional lah.

Bad idea. Make it optional then very few will volunteer to be enlisted. Then our army will be so small that we'll be invaded anytime. Police force and Civil Defence will also have fewer men if it is made optional.

Bad idea. Make it optional then very few will volunteer to be enlisted. Then our army will be so small that we'll be invaded anytime. Police force and Civil Defence will also have fewer men if it is made optional.

optional with financial benefits and educational/working as well.

maybe give a lump sum for enlisting.

and only allow men who have served NS to enter local uni and find job in civic service

so if they want the following, they must enlist.

Edited by Mllcg

the amount of money lost in poor investment

throwing good money by offering scholarships to foreigners

the total amount can be use sustain a fully paid army

look at all of us

really do you think 99.9% of the reservist would be ready for a war

most of us talk more than can we perform

many of us have not even see "real blood" from a bad motor accident let alone injuries from war with body parts are all over the place

it must be a real joke

look at the caliber of our generals, admirals and so on that have taken to be become ministers and so on

furthermore

if generals are so damn good why need to be paid million of dollars to be an understudy

MR. Kee Chiu where are you

one good example here

do you trust Sabbie with your life or for that matter, your family lives

and only allow men who have served NS to enter local uni and find job in civic service

Then those who cannot serve NS due to medical reasons all cannot go Uni and find job in Civil service lah ?

Supercharged

This is not a good idea either. NS isn't a kind of reward, it is a "service" to the nation!

Also those boys with richer parents will study overseas uni instead. Not so rich parents can also borrow money to finance their boy for overseas uni. What about those who can't made it to uni at all?

Best is still to restrict foreigners into local uni, don't employ them in civil service, and don't give them any benefits unless they do NS.

Then those who cannot serve NS due to medical reasons all cannot go Uni and find job in Civil service lah ?

except medical reasons la.

like PES Fs now...

still got in civil service sectors.

↡ Advertisement