How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

just curious.

Did those who bought the dry clutch as a result of sales saying problems solved 

Or

As a result of good faith and did not bother about the noise of many VW customer who complained because it was a sweet deal of a price at that time ?

bought it without doing homework on the Don't Shift Gears and

plus red eye monster on the next best which is the previous gen c class...on sale for 158K

↡ Advertisement

bought it without doing homework on the Don't Shift Gears and

plus red eye monster on the next best which is the previous gen c class...on sale for 158K

Just enjoy your car lah. Take care of it and maybe you will have troublefree motoring. VAG sold millions of cars so even per 100k problems, still got 900k maybe relatively boh dai ji.

I bought my used (even worse hor) 7spd with both eyes open and both fingers crossed.

• Praise 1

What I found is if you don't press the brake on and off again when slowing down, the gear is dropped without engaging the clutch (thus no jerk).

If you repeat press and release brake before coming to complete stop then the clutch reengages causing jerk / engine braking.

Is this the case for DSG manual mode as well? If so, then can switch to manual mode and "creep" by engaging first gear in stop&go traffic without jerking. Edited by MercutioV

Just enjoy your car lah. Take care of it and maybe you will have troublefree motoring. VAG sold millions of cars so even per 100k problems, still got 900k maybe relatively boh dai ji.

I bought my used (even worse hor) 7spd with both eyes open and both fingers crossed.

yup, I keep scolding the car till now a bit guai alr....but the stoopid Gb still gives me problems..

I hope it get better with a DSG oil change later this week

Is this the case for DSG manual mode as well? If so, then can switch to manual mode and "creep" by engaging first gear in stop&go traffic without jerking.

Have you driven a manual car in 1st gear where you press and release the accelerator in stop & go traffic?  It is the same feeling.  Anyway the prudent thing is not to let the car creep in low gear (i.e not pressing accelerator).

DSG jerkiness sometimes happens when you are in 2nd/3rd gear in slow traffic and then you lift your foot off the accelerator to slow down further (hence causing engine brake).  Gear upshift is always silky smooth.

Edited by zerobim08

Have you driven a manual car in 1st gear where you press and release the accelerator in stop & go traffic?  It is the same feeling.  Anyway the prudent thing is not to let the car creep in low gear (i.e not pressing accelerator).

DSG jerkiness sometimes happens when you are in 2nd/3rd gear in slow traffic and then you lift your foot off the accelerator to slow down further (hence causing engine brake).  Gear upshift is always silky smooth.

When i drive manual gear in start stop traffic, i release the clutch to the extent that the car creep.  I only use brake to control move and don't move.

For downshift, it is because clutch is not engaged.  That caused the jerk.

When i drive manual gear in start stop traffic, i release the clutch to the extent that the car creep.  I only use brake to control move and don't move.

For downshift, it is because clutch is not engaged.  That caused the jerk.

That is if maybe you are driving a more high power car.  My A3 1.4 engine feels donkey slow creeping without giving it some gas.

I think nowadays the programming of DCT determines when you press brake whether you are coming to a complete stop or you are just slowing down in traffic or emergency braking.  If it thinks you are coming to a complete stop, it disengages the clutch (i.e. N) and let the car glide to a stop.  If it were the other 2 conditions, then it drops the gear one step at a time (which may cause jerk due to engine braking and/or clutch engaging at mismatched rotational speed).  

that is why conventional torque convertor still exists.

actually modern Torque convertor no more the 'slip' feeling,because of it's "Lock-Up" clutch,a good example will be my 370z Autobox...very fast reaction+blip throttle on downshift...

Mercedes does have super high power engine running on lower cc compared to competitor

Audi : 2.5L Inline 5 pushing 367bhp / 465NM

BMW: 3L Inline 6 pushing 370bhp / 465NM

Merc: 2L Inline 4 pushing 381bhp / 475NM

Out of all the conti, Mercedes may still hold the best value. Their parts are usually more rugged in design. The cars may not run as smooth as Audi or being made a drivers car like BMW, but the fact is that they are the only Germany car maker that has ventured into industrial cars as well as passenger cars, and reliability plays a very important part.

Mercedes is being very very conservative about stressing out their engines too. eg.

Audi: 1.4l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

BMW: 1.5l 3 cylinder pushing out 136bhp and 220Nm

Mercedes: 1.6l 4 cylinder pushing out 150bhp and 250Nm

Others may say smaller engines with higher output are more advanced, but I do not think Mercedes cannot make such an engine, but they prefer to consider more on the long run.

Mercedes does have super high power engine running on lower cc compared to competitor

Yah, the next AMG a45 pushing 400hp from 2L turbo.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-mercedes-amg-a45-get-400bhp

For sure Mercedes knows what they are doing and won't put their reputation at stake. So I dunno what those guys talking about stressing engine. I only worry high stress on bank account nia. :)

That is if maybe you are driving a more high power car. My A3 1.4 engine feels donkey slow creeping without giving it some gas.

I think nowadays the programming of DCT determines when you press brake whether you are coming to a complete stop or you are just slowing down in traffic or emergency braking. If it thinks you are coming to a complete stop, it disengages the clutch (i.e. N) and let the car glide to a stop. If it were the other 2 conditions, then it drops the gear one step at a time (which may cause jerk due to engine braking and/or clutch engaging at mismatched rotational speed).

The MT car I drove is Proton Aeroback 1.3. How powerful is that?

I sat in Audi A6. No jerk at all.

Yah, the next AMG a45 pushing 400hp from 2L turbo.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2019-mercedes-amg-a45-get-400bhp

For sure Mercedes knows what they are doing and won't put their reputation at stake. So I dunno what those guys talking about stressing engine. I only worry high stress on bank account nia. :)

Try GLA45.

Don't know why but Merc car do feel lethargic when being driven. Driven my Audi in D mode and driven Merc CLA in D mode. CLA seem like lagging and powerless when moving off. Not sure why. Feel damn "shock" that it is a merc I'm driving. And for info, it is not a base CLA. It is a CLA 200 with slightly higher HP and torque figure.

Don't know why but Merc car do feel lethargic when being driven. Driven my Audi in D mode and driven Merc CLA in D mode. CLA seem like lagging and powerless when moving off. Not sure why. Feel damn "shock" that it is a merc I'm driving. And for info, it is not a base CLA. It is a CLA 200 with slightly higher HP and torque figure.

Merc g-tronic transmissions tend to prioritise comfort over driving dynamics. Same as Lexus.

Merc g-tronic transmissions tend to prioritise comfort over driving dynamics. Same as Lexus.

Even if set to Sports mode?

↡ Advertisement