How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Alfa is no stupiak car. People who buy Alfas aren't buying for Toyota reliability. You with me on this?

Same for people who buy DSG cars are buying for different reasons. VW makes nice cars. Agree or disagree?

So there's no need for people to come here and call the car (or people) stupiak. You can say 7DSG gearbox is prone to failure. Explain why. Sure, I fully accept. In fact, we all know... dry clutch, heat management, sure... prone to failure. But to say that the gearbox CONFIRM explode, break down, kill you... I think it's like saying Toyota and Hyundai confirm will suddenly accelerate, or Honda airbag confirm will kill you. See the difference in the way I put forward my point?

Noone has called people buying the car with the 7 speed dry DSG stupid. It is their money their choice.

You are right, the dry DSG is prone to failure and that is a fact. Noone has said that all 7 Speed Dry DSG will fail. I am glad to see that you are accepting this as a fact.

Finally no 7 speed Dry DSG has exploded and kill someone. But there are some risk if the DSG do breakdown when driving on the expressway.

I got your point and I am hopeful that you will get our points too.

↡ Advertisement

Btw I think juddering is a characteristic of dual clutch gearboxes. After, it's still a clutch, just actuated via a MU.

I think the general public is being misled by the "automatic" position of the DSG, so when they encounter the judder, to them it shouldn't happen because the previous torque converter automatics they had doesn't have this issue so why this DSG automatic have.

Lol... That means you don't know the automotive industry. Those i mentioned are the core quality management of the automotive industry and you need people with engineering knowledge to operate that because it involves VDA 6.3 and 6.5 and the PPAP or VDA2. VW prides its Formel Q and they participated in the development of the international automotive quality requirements. Those aren't just for show. They carry legal responsibilities for the global engineering and quality requirements. Every piece of part in your vehicle carries part of the engineering and quality requirement as such. So discounting on their importance? No way.

Take it easy. Nothing personal. I was merely trying to let you know from an industry guy point of view that you are looking at things in a way we don't. And reinstilling consumer confidence in a failed product needs more than blind defence. You need evidence. I'm neutral about the dsg7. Prove your point and i will be convinced. You can't even convince someone in the industry, how can you convince the public in general? The public needs facts and evidence that can be seen and felt. Not plain individual opinions.

I just want to share knowledge. I hope you take this the right way.

Sure, I am not discounting the importance of any key quality management requirements. But nobody (here) has those information. These data are good as it comes right out of a factory, where the process is tightly controlled, and the people are properly trained.

Once it goes out to the supply chains, to retailers, to workshops outside, these data mean nothing. We don't know how skilled the people outside are, and if the processes are properly adhered to.

I'll definitely share if my 7DSG breaks down. I'm dying to look inside the transmission to see the inner workings.

Noone has called people buying the car with the 7 speed dry DSG stupid. It is their money their choice.

You are right, the dry DSG is prone to failure and that is a fact. Noone has said that all 7 Speed Dry DSG will fail. I am glad to see that you are accepting this as a fact.

Finally no 7 speed Dry DSG has exploded and kill someone. But there are some risk if the DSG do breakdown when driving on the expressway.

I got your point and I am hopeful that you will get our points too.

There are people who are saying it WILL fail. It's different from "prone to". I'm lazy to go back many pages to dig, but let's leave it at that.

The exploded comment is just exaggeration for laughs sake.

get your point.

hope you get my point that its about this particular 7-spd DSG and not about VW or any VAG car in general.

i dun recall anyone saying the gb will confirm explode or whatever leh. too many posts, too long, never read.  [laugh]

This thread is about "VW's 7 speed DSG" lah. Most of the cars in SG are equipped with this transmission, so it translates to " Polo/Golf/Jetta/Passat/Beetle".

Explode is just a joke. Laugh lah. X'mas coming. Why so serious.

Edited by Detach8

Guys,

Let me share my thought process when buying VW Jetta instead of Toyota.. Conti car used to be more pricey but the general trend has reversed. In early 2014, Jetta was selling $109k and Toyota Altis was $122 respectively.. I think many Japanese AD has overpriced their selling price. About 19% (Jetta) vs 35% (Altis). Please go and do a survey on Jap vs Conti car in Taiwan, for instance, you will get the answer. I saw ton of articles and hearsay about how bad the GB of VW, that's ok, it doesn't bother me much as I am convinced the GB after 2014 has lower failure rate (not zero), toyota is not zero too. I have about $13k saving in my pocket that I can use it for changing a gearbox,2 times? I don't go Malaysia often but even if I stuck in the jam, i know how to use the manual mode to avoid the GB overheating problem.. After driving close to 2 years, did two times servicing (15k interval), my car still works like news, powerful, responsive... love it..

• Praise 2

I went to testdrive jetta 1.5 years ago when vw claimed that the mineral oil solved its gearbox problem. I was willing to park 10k aside for the gearbox for future problem. They had 5 years warranty for the affected gearboxes back then and had just reduced back to 3 years. I told the vw sales guy that I wanted 5 years warranty on the jetta gearbox if he wants me to sign and wanted him to show to me they are confident of their gearbox (not guarantee that it won't fail). His answer was astonishing, saying that it is precisely that vw is confident that it reduced the warranty to 3 years. Crap.

I told him that I am even willing to pay 1~2k extra to have extended warranty to 5 years on the gearbox. Point here is I want a shared risk taking with vw.

He took ages (many days) to "speak" to his manager...so much so on their confidence on their gearbox.

I gave up and signed with another AD. This is my story...not hearsay. Just another data point for bros here.

Cheers.

Jialat, even Hyundai and Kia, the humble Korean rides are offering 5 years factory warranty.

Because we have fervent supporters of DSG who treat it like their religion.

They don't like people criticizing the gearbox, because they see it as a criticism against a choice they made, and they take it personal. and I say congrats to VAG for having such fans around to help even when they are not paid for any of the PR. :D

All I can say is, if I say that the DSG failed based on real encounters, I am seen as spreading FUD.

Sharing info is not the order of the day here or in any VAG related thread.

So Y'all "naysayers" better stfu and just say the good things okay. :P

Can't praise u again. Give you 500 points here. :D

I drive manual transmission.. Haha.. What dsg, what automatic transmission..

What's shit without fact? You think you are the only one in the world that drives a DSG gearbox car? My car 3k mileage already replace clutch. What have you got to say?

Then you are unlucky. Don't generalize your bad luck as the norm.

Once again as always you are pussy-footing without any concrete facts. Why don't your post a picture of your service/repair report for us to see?

Still trying to figure what FUD means....hahahahaa

honestly, I also don't know.

thought its some VW lingo so I diam diam  [lipsrsealed]

its Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. lol

on wow, so refined.

on my street we say mai spread fear.

[:p]

• Praise 1

Btw I think juddering is a characteristic of dual clutch gearboxes. After, it's still a clutch, just actuated via a MU.

I think the general public is being misled by the "automatic" position of the DSG, so when they encounter the judder, to them it shouldn't happen because the previous torque converter automatics they had doesn't have this issue so why this DSG automatic have.

Juddering is not a characteristic of Dual Clutch. Not at least on my current Volvo or the Infiniti or CLA I have driven.

However, after driven both normal auto box and Dual Clutch, I love Dual Clutch boxes. Just that more chances of wear and tear.

Sure, I am not discounting the importance of any key quality management requirements. But nobody (here) has those information. These data are good as it comes right out of a factory, where the process is tightly controlled, and the people are properly trained.

Once it goes out to the supply chains, to retailers, to workshops outside, these data mean nothing. We don't know how skilled the people outside are, and if the processes are properly adhered to.

I'll definitely share if my 7DSG breaks down. I'm dying to look inside the transmission to see the inner workings.

That is why you as a consumer have no concrete info on the actual condition. So you Cannot for certain know if the problem had been resolved.

These data are only sense to people trained. So the average guy outside don't understand it. They can only base on the happenings in the market to gauge the situation.

Failures are rampant to the extend that government intervention was needed. Protests against the vw dealership. Press coverage over the failures. Online complaints overwhelmed positive feedbacks. And the current customer communication by VW isn't addressing the issue adequately. If this isn't sufficient to cause confidence loss, what is? So unless you have access to the information i listed, how can you be so sure it is ok now?

honestly, I also don't know.

thought its some VW lingo so I diam diam [lipsrsealed]

on wow, so refined.

on my street we say mai spread fear.

[:p]

Mai stir shit la.

Juddering is not a characteristic of Dual Clutch. Not at least on my current Volvo or the Infiniti or CLA I have driven.

However, after driven both normal auto box and Dual Clutch, I love Dual Clutch boxes. Just that more chances of wear and tear.

My Volvo had juddering only when ambient temp is hot.

Having experienced selespeed and powershift, both automated manuals, I prefer the conventional torque converter automatics. More reliable and smooth.

Jialat, even Hyundai and Kia, the humble Korean rides are offering 5 years factory warranty.

I drive manual transmission.. Haha.. What dsg, what automatic transmission..

Ya, my intention was just to test their confidence level on the solution they provided. Unfortunately, vw singapore did not give me any confidence at all. Not once but twice, cos i first asked for 5 years warranty JUST on the gearbox, then I offered to pay for extended warranty. They just didn't come back to me. 

Edited by Rskc

Ya, my intention was just to test their confidence level on the solution they provided. Unfortunately, vw singapore did not give me any confidence at all. Not once but twice, cos i first asked for 5 years warranty JUST on the gearbox, then I offered to pay for extended warranty. They just didn't come back to me. 

just curious which were u looking at, and which did u settle on?

just curious which were u looking at, and which did u settle on?

Shortlisted a few like mazda6 and jetta, then came down to A3 vs F30.

F30 got the nod. 

Shortlisted a few like mazda6 and jetta, then came down to A3 vs F30.

F30 got the nod. 

nice.

jetta's looks always appealed to me less the uncertainty of DSG.

seriously, is 23 dec " FRIDAY" and my company did not allow early release. =(

therefore, just sharing my experience with VW vehicle since i got lots of time today.

i have a 2010 vw. this unit is under the recall for mechantronic.

and mechantronic was change.

during 2016, my dsg failure, which is fxxx up. imagine u stop during red light, and car stalled when hit the green light.

but i manage to use manual D1 to ramp & get going. several times it happen.

since i thought warranty over (6 years old car), so i check 3rd party workshop & ask, the repair gonna cost 5k. WTH..

if u have vag software, which i have, the error likely due to hydraulic pump failure.

finally i decided send to VW with them, they get it changed for FOC on mechantronic.

Generally, i would say their service isnt too bad for after sales. (although after warranty, i dont go there do regular service)

And lastly, their dsg really got problem.

Good luck to all fellow VW 7 spd DSG owners.

• Praise 2

Iirc it's same 7dsg. Just diff product name. Audi calls it s-tronic.

My wife drives a A1 S-tronic. Mileage around 60k. 1st gear starting to jerk. Quickly sold it off.....

• Praise 4

this is wat i mean real gold not scare of fire.

see 1 by 1 owner with problem start reporting in [;)] .

try starting a thread with something like ' driving honda & toyota will kill'  etc

and compare the respond. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4