How problematic is VW's 7 speed DSG?

Kar_lover

Bro, he said mai reply liao.. I believe it's commercial interest since having spent so much in r&d n manufacturing..

That said, Mitsubishi Honda Hyundai Kia Renault Mercedes oso use dct for all or some of their cars..

bro he's referring to the dry clutch DSG, and he claims why only VW is using it and not others. so i replied lor.

he's not referring to the wet clutch DSGs.

↡ Advertisement

bro he's referring to the dry clutch DSG, and he claims why only VW is using it and not others. so i replied lor.

he's not referring to the wet clutch DSGs.

Iirc some are still using dry one right?

Iirc some are still using dry one right?

i think only the manufacturers of small cc cars use dry ones. like VAG Group, Fiat, maybe Ford?

the rest of the power cars, like VAG's higher range, BMW's DCT, Porsche's PDK etc are wet ones.

i think only the manufacturers of small cc cars use dry ones. like VAG Group, Fiat, maybe Ford?

the rest of the power cars, like VAG's higher range, BMW's DCT, Porsche's PDK etc are wet ones.

how about the latest VW Passat 2.0? Spec said 6 Speed DSG? Wet ones?

how about the latest VW Passat 2.0? Spec said 6 Speed DSG? Wet ones?

dunno leh. should be wet ba.

my impression is the 1.4 cars use dry clutch, while the 2L above ones use wet clutch. doesn't matter the number of speeds.

meaning to say if you see a 6-speed or 7-speed DSG on a >2L VW/Audi, it should be a wet clutch.

maybe the VW experts here can verify?

Reading thru as well to be frank none of them seem like major issues

- Air intake faulty - faulty or hissing? maybe it was defective.

- Cooling system leak - replaced the lid, sounds more like it wasn't caped well

- Alignment - Hard to say he could have hit a curb.

BMW's are not perfect but my reply to @detach8 is just to correct him that BMW does come with 5 year warranty (he was mentioned it to challenge a post where another user said VW would not give 5 year warranty's).

Not sure how it then came to be all this about BMW trustworthiness of honoring the warranty and this laughable case.

Personally I will not have a VW with this DSG gearbox mentioned in this thread, and so far I have not seen anyone able to refute @Fels post at a technical level to convince me otherwise.

Let's put it this way.. clear cut parts failed. Bmw will honor warranty.. complicated cases exposes their shortcomings.. part A to Z changed one by one .. each time, "sir ur car is fixed". Hours later, days later, same issue props up.. diagnostics don't show any error.. this kind.. they take very very long.. cos they know it's "major" issue.. wanna try to delay the inevitable. That's the impression given..

Reading thru as well to be frank none of them seem like major issues

- Air intake faulty - faulty or hissing? maybe it was defective.

- Cooling system leak - replaced the lid, sounds more like it wasn't caped well

- Alignment - Hard to say he could have hit a curb.

BMW's are not perfect but my reply to @detach8 is just to correct him that BMW does come with 5 year warranty (he was mentioned it to challenge a post where another user said VW would not give 5 year warranty's).

Not sure how it then came to be all this about BMW trustworthiness of honoring the warranty and this laughable case.

Personally I will not have a VW with this DSG gearbox mentioned in this thread, and so far I have not seen anyone able to refute @Fels post at a technical level to convince me otherwise. 

Bro, technically BMW does not give warranty. It's PML that does.

So does my outside workshop give warranty for my PI BMW. It's technically incorrect to say "BMW give 5 years warranty." Actually if I am not wrong, BMW Asia only covers the first year. Even the standard 2nd and 3rd year is actually covered by PML. I need to verify the facts, but this is what I can remember.

I take warranty coverage with a pinch of salt. I don't think it's an indication of the reliability of the car. Some people may have been lucky to have their claims gone smoothly, it hasn't for me (except for 1 claim for aircon problem from Nissan.) I'd be more than happy to share my experience over a f2f coffee session.

To each his own because I prefer to trust my own workshop where I can see the mechanic work than a dealership where you send your car into a blackhole and it comes back. You don't know what happened to it.

Edited by Detach8

So does my outside workshop give warranty for my PI BMW. It's technically incorrect to say "BMW give 5 years warranty."

I take warranty coverage with a pinch of salt. I don't think it's an indication of the reliability of the car. Some people may have been lucky to have their claims gone smoothly, it hasn't for me (except for 1 claim for aircon problem from Nissan.) I'd be more than happy to share my experience over a f2f coffee session.

To each his own because I prefer to trust my own workshop where I can see the mechanic work than a dealership where you send your car into a blackhole and it comes back. You don't know what happened to it.

agreed. most of the time, AD takes a long time to service the car not because of the actual work, but because the car sits idle waiting for its turn. if there's any issues, likely they will just clear fault code and say car is normal. they need the churn so they can't afford to spend too much time per car.

i prefer to use outside workshop, just make appt, go in, wham bam goodbye mam. much more efficient use of time. and ya i can see what they are doing and thus learn more about the car.

dunno leh. should be wet ba.

my impression is the 1.4 cars use dry clutch, while the 2L above ones use wet clutch. doesn't matter the number of speeds.

meaning to say if you see a 6-speed or 7-speed DSG on a >2L VW/Audi, it should be a wet clutch.

maybe the VW experts here can verify?

The lighter and smaller engine car gets the dry clutch.

The 1.4L Tiguan has wet clutch. So does 2L VWs (Passat, Golf GTI, etc.)

Most of the Audis have wet clutch. I think only the A1 has the dry clutch.

In fact Audis are switching to the ZF8 slushbox which is a really fantastic transmission.

Valvetronic BMW engines prone to mis-timed top-dead-centre of affected piston(s), hydraulic/steering fluid leaks, aircond refrigerant leaks and for the F30/10 models onward - wind noise

so far dry clutch 7DSGs are used in engines with up to 250nm torque...what i read anyway

so most of the engines up to 1.4T are about 200-240 nm fit in the dry clutch range

tiguan 1.4T looks like wet clutch 6DSG still .. but the new touran (250nm) read was changed to dry 7DSG

Edited by Johnny86

So does my outside workshop give warranty for my PI BMW. It's technically incorrect to say "BMW give 5 years warranty." Actually if I am not wrong, BMW Asia only covers the first year. Even the standard 2nd and 3rd year is actually covered by PML. I need to verify the facts, but this is what I can remember.

Just to correct u.. it's Bmw asia that covers the warranty.. all the 5 years program has to be approved by Bmw asia.

I have communicated with their warranty manager and Aftersales director directly.. it's accurate.

i dun blame them, i face this problem also, in fact alot of us here, and CNY coming, worst.

imagine going to gathering, this question will always come out, ' bro wat car u driving now'

then some rich aunt uncle , ' aiyo still driving that toyota  etc etc' 

or some 1 just change a 5 series, he scare every 1 dun know. then purposely ask

' damn my last car just scrape, got a 5 series now, when u guys changing yours'

then your reply, no la, still driving my vios, avante 

some take it very well. but there are alot who swear my next car 'DIE DIE' must be a conti.

my friend and i call these group 'conti wanna be' 

no joke some close friend mention they went for conti cos peer pressure.

and then suddenly gift from heaven,  a VW  going for the same as a honda toyota??

i can feel altas by paying the same . faster grab.

then suddenly come forum see this every 1 blasting their car they thought its so altas.

and all their defense mechanism up working and running,

Not uncommon.

I bought my accord. Everyone ask me, why never buy audi, merc?  [laugh]

Conti FTW!

• Praise 1

Just to correct u.. it's Bmw asia that covers the warranty.. all the 5 years program has to be approved by Bmw asia.

I have communicated with their warranty manager and Aftersales director directly.. it's accurate.

U trust sales guys or legal paperwork? :D

http://www.pml.com.sg/extendedwarranty/terms.html

3. The Warranty Periods

First and Second Year

The terms of this manufacturer’s warranty are contained in the New Car Warranty form provided to you at the point of purchase of your new BMW vehicle.

Third Year

The terms of this third year warranty provided by Performance Motors Limited is contained in the New Car Warranty form provided to you at the point of purchase of your new BMW vehicle. 

Fourth and Fifth Years - 5-Year Extended Warranty

The fourth and fifth year of the warranty is provided specifically by Performance Motors Limited. The scope of what is covered by the warranty is similar to that of the original manufacturer’s warranty and is limited to a maximum distance of 100,000km or 5 years, whichever is sooner. This warranty is only valid within Singapore and is also conditional upon the car having a complete service history with Performance Motors Limited. All replaced parts

become the property of Performance Motors Limited. This warranty is not affected by any change in ownership.

AD's are similiar all over bah for C&C, PML anyway, last time our Merc got issues C&C also tu tu for 2 months. When no warranty liao they can get things done quite quickly almost like they have commission for the parts or something. 

Let's put it this way.. clear cut parts failed. Bmw will honor warranty.. complicated cases exposes their shortcomings.. part A to Z changed one by one .. each time, "sir ur car is fixed". Hours later, days later, same issue props up.. diagnostics don't show any error.. this kind.. they take very very long.. cos they know it's "major" issue.. wanna try to delay the inevitable. That's the impression given..

↡ Advertisement