Goodyear f1 asymmetric 2 vs continental sports contact 5

Acemundo

brother, one of the oldest bird in mcf..! nice to see you posting again.

were you also in the asiaone or some defunct site car forum that had quite some members migrating to mcf then?

Hello Acemundo,

It's nice to see familiar nicks...

Yes, I was one of several who came over in 2002 when Autospeed Forums (on Asiaone) reconfigured their site

and we "rebelled" by leaving :D

Now, 4 kids later, I seldom have the time to post...

but this particular thread is close to my heart, because I had to make this tyre (and rim) decision not too long ago.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Stock Interlagos (those just taken off new from the Roc) going for around $500-600. Get a set of those, plus 4 new 18" tyres should be less than $2k. Shd try out the Interlagos if you have not tried before. I think the interlagos won't get warped so easily. That said, it does weigh a bit heavier at ard 12kg.

I like my rims... which is why I bought the same 18" set again :D

I want to be unique...so I avoid VW designs

uuKurUZl.jpg

Edited by Presea
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Hello Acemundo,

It's nice to see familiar nicks...

Yes, I was one of several who came over in 2002 when Autospeed Forums (on Asiaone) reconfigured their site

and we "rebelled" by leaving :D

Now, 4 kids later, I seldom have the time to post...

but this particular thread is close to my heart, because I had to make this tyre (and rim) decision not too long ago.

haha I can't remember if it was you or someone else who invited me to join MCF while I was at the autospeed forum.

but I did remember your posts was the first few I read and responded to when I newly joined MCF [thumbsup]

I like my rims... which is why I bought the same 18" set again :D

I want to be unique...so I avoid VW designs

uuKurUZl.jpg

Nice rims indeed [thumbsup]

But your passat not very uncle looking liao [laugh]

In fast corners, while trail braking, the car doesn't feel as sharp, and actually a little "squirrelly", which gives me less confidence, but a quick glance at my speedo show that I am at a little higher speed than I would in the Falkens...(and I am talking about ridiculous speeds here)

And on extremely hard braking, I notice the ABS kicks in later than usual, but once again the squirming braking feel did not leave me feeling good. The car stops, but not with the usual modulation-feel I remember in my old FK452.

A major correction on my initial field report (which was done prematurely)

Now that I have "broken in" my tyres past 500km, the feel has improved tremendously.

Turn in is still not as "sharp" as my previous FK452, but they no longer feel like they're moving when entering a fast corner, and I feel absolute control at extreme speeds in the middle of sweeping benders, despite the G-force approaching .8 to .9, and even when braking and readjusting, the slips/"drifts" are genuinely progressive and it feels so much better than before.

The best part is, the braking is very solid.

No more squirming, and wriggling... in fact, I don't even see ABS coming on slightly wet roads.

Now with brand new brakes (discs and pads) and brand new tyres, the car stops as good as it did the day (or month) i got it. I am stopping way too soon, and that is without applying maximum pressure (no ABS, no sound). I pity the fool who follows me too close at high speeds.

And for those who know me back in the day (before I had kids), I still drive the same way, and probably at even crazier velocities since the car is better :)

I now declare the CSC5 to be as good as my FK452 in the dry (probably better in the corners, more grip all around, despite less sharp turn ins), and very close in the wet corners (laterally) and even better accelerating and stopping...

Damn. these things are good!

Nice rims indeed [thumbsup]

But your passat not very uncle looking liao [laugh]

It feels uncle from the inside! And every other Passat I see are being driven by Uncles and Aunties :(

On the rare occasion, I see a Passat on 19-20"... and of course there are the R36 here and there (one in my own estate)

I used to proudly belong to the Civic-FD Club, and go for meetups (I still wear the Polo-T every month or so)....

I would never consider joining a Passat Club (although I doubt it exists)

It feels uncle from the inside! And every other Passat I see are being driven by Uncles and Aunties :(

On the rare occasion, I see a Passat on 19-20"... and of course there are the R36 here and there (one in my own estate)

I used to proudly belong to the Civic-FD Club, and go for meetups (I still wear the Polo-T every month or so)....

I would never consider joining a Passat Club (although I doubt it exists)

There are 3 Passat B6 1.8T in my estate and we know each other. There was once my maid wash wrong car, but lucky my neighbour change rims so can tell the difference alrdy [laugh]

And I do know of other Passat drivers, just to keep in touch, and check out each other mods, common problems with the Passat which can be very helpful.

For example, my GB kaput about 1/2 year ago at ard 120k mileage. My neighbour also had the same exact problem just a month before me, so I knew of the issue straightaway and what to do. Not long after, another passat kena the same problem and went to same workshop.

Stock Interlagos (those just taken off new from the Roc) going for around $500-600. Get a set of those, plus 4 new 18" tyres should be less than $2k. Shd try out the Interlagos if you have not tried before. I think the interlagos won't get warped so easily. That said, it does weigh a bit heavier at ard 12kg.

I am on stock beetle rims (the white spoke design) and rode on them along the B roads and NSHW. Rocked them through the uneven terrains and potholes and they were sturdy.

There are 3 Passat B6 1.8T in my estate and we know each other. There was once my maid wash wrong car, but lucky my neighbour change rims so can tell the difference alrdy [laugh]

And I do know of other Passat drivers, just to keep in touch, and check out each other mods, common problems with the Passat which can be very helpful.

For example, my GB kaput about 1/2 year ago at ard 120k mileage. My neighbour also had the same exact problem just a month before me, so I knew of the issue straightaway and what to do. Not long after, another passat kena the same problem and went to same workshop.

My Gearbox had issues at 90K .. 2 years ago (I drive really hard :P ).

Back then, I probably was the first 6AT gearbox to suffer this fate in Singapore (although those with DSG had been having it for years), but I started to gather information on similar issues around the world (lots of 2.5L Beetles in the US had the same gearbox issue) I also started threads on VAGSG, wrote to VW Germany, Asia Pacific, Singapore, the top management (had to find their emails) ...

And after 2 months of "discussion", VAG paid for 70% of my new gearbox, and all the labour, and discounted a load of stuff at that appointment (took about 4 weeks to fix, waiting for parts - while fortunately, half that time I was on vacation, and when I returned, they loaned me a Jetta Sport for the remaining time),

Now I service it every 30,000km, despite it being a "lifetime service-free" item.

I think we should start a new Passat Thread :D :D :D

My Gearbox had issues at 90K .. 2 years ago (I drive really hard :P ).

Back then, I probably was the first 6AT gearbox to suffer this fate in Singapore (although those with DSG had been having it for years), but I started to gather information on similar issues around the world (lots of 2.5L Beetles in the US had the same gearbox issue) I also started threads on VAGSG, wrote to VW Germany, Asia Pacific, Singapore, the top management (had to find their emails) ...

And after 2 months of "discussion", VAG paid for 70% of my new gearbox, and all the labour, and discounted a load of stuff at that appointment (took about 4 weeks to fix, waiting for parts - while fortunately, half that time I was on vacation, and when I returned, they loaned me a Jetta Sport for the remaining time),

Now I service it every 30,000km, despite it being a "lifetime service-free" item.

I think we should start a new Passat Thread :D :D :D

[nod] Tyre thread slowly devolving into Passat thread [laugh][laugh]

Better not OT. [smash]

Sticking to topic, I just rotated my F1A2 after 10k km, at LS tyre. Got 2 wheels kena nails, probably for few weeks that I did not even notice. Anyway paid $20 for rotation, and $20 for 2 patched wheels. Did I kena carrot or not?

Better not OT. [smash]

Sticking to topic, I just rotated my F1A2 after 10k km, at LS tyre. Got 2 wheels kena nails, probably for few weeks that I did not even notice. Anyway paid $20 for rotation, and $20 for 2 patched wheels. Did I kena carrot or not?

if you did that at you initail purchased tyres shop, it should be free [:p]

why all the passat owner camping here

i come in +1 also

Vagsg no business later.

But seriously, Passat is supposed to be "luxury" and "comfort" cruiser. Why wear CSC5 shoes? Wouldn't Primacy 3 or other "comfort" tyres do?

Better not OT. [smash]

is a FREE market

If you are happy with the service provided you are not carrot

If you are NOT happy with the service FOC also NOT happy

each of establishment operate at diff cost , and they are not allow to fix the price (against the LAW)

I don't quite believe in FREE service in SINGAPORE (no free lunch in this world)

just MHO

Vagsg no business later.

But seriously, Passat is supposed to be "luxury" and "comfort" cruiser. Why wear CSC5 shoes? Wouldn't Primacy 3 or other "comfort" tyres do?

Over-"tyring" is akin to an overweight man wearing running shoes... - Which kinda describes me ;P

Compared to most of my previous performance tyres CSC5s are pretty quiet

And despite the outwardly appearance, high CG and all, the Passat can change direction with aplomb (not GTi levels, but not too far), and get to indecent speeds without trying too hard.

Good tyres are what keeps me from losing it at the limit, in any condition, regardless of the situation.

is it true that goodyear tyre prone to crack at the side wall..

previously F1AS many occurances, especially in lower profiles,

i was on 45 profile never crack but can see a bit the wrinkle mark b4 it start...but change out too noisy after 25k

heard from F1AS2 also have

↡ Advertisement