Electric Superchargers.... Do They Work?

Escksu

OK, I know there has been countless threads on the net about it already. Decide to do my own review of it to answer the question. Bought a kit from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290635061663?ssPag...984.m1497.l2649

Thats the exact kit I bought. Bought 2 pieces 4" to 3" reducers from Man Exhaust today and install it. Wiring is quite simple. I wired it to the fog lamp relay thus I could turn it on or off thru the fog lamp switch.

Thus the big question is does it work? Is it snake oil? Will it do wonders?

Drove it around for ~100KM today as I was running some errands. In short, it does work to a certain degree. I ensure there is minimal placebo effect by turning with the switch on and off numerous times. Run at different RPMs, level of throttle etc.

The amount of power boost is very slight. Its very similar to turning off the AC on a small CC car to gain more power. It does what it is advertise to do. Gains of around 5-7HP. Thats all.

So, why aren't manufacturers using this device when its so cool??

Reliaibility and durability. These devices are not made to last at all. Housing is just fiber reinforced plastic and motor is a simple brush motor (though its using ball bearings). At best, it will last you around 600-800Hrs of use. After that you have to replace the carbon brushes or the housing. Fan blade is metal so it should last a while.

So, can it be made to work? Yes, it can. Provided there is proper R&D. Eg. cast aluminum housing. brushless motor (there are water cooled motors as well). Fan blades that are designed to deliver high air pressure etc.... Electric superchargers and hybrids are already under research right now

Btw..... I am not sure if this device can be used on vehicles running MAF. Mine is MAP so its not a problem.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Btw, if you want to see an electric supercharger that is definitely working and not snake oil stuff. Google Thomas Knight electric superchargers.

It does work but its power consumption is really insane. You need a separate battery for it. Also, it can only run for very short periods of time (~20s). Only good for drag racing. Not for daily use.

OK, I know there has been countless threads on the net about it already. Decide to do my own review of it to answer the question. Bought a kit from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290635061663?ssPag...984.m1497.l2649

Thats the exact kit I bought. Bought 2 pieces 4" to 3" reducers from Man Exhaust today and install it. Wiring is quite simple. I wired it to the fog lamp relay thus I could turn it on or off thru the fog lamp switch.

Thus the big question is does it work? Is it snake oil? Will it do wonders?

Drove it around for ~100KM today as I was running some errands. In short, it does work to a certain degree. I ensure there is minimal placebo effect by turning with the switch on and off numerous times. Run at different RPMs, level of throttle etc.

The amount of power boost is very slight. Its very similar to turning off the AC on a small CC car to gain more power. It does what it is advertise to do. Gains of around 5-7HP. Thats all.

So, why aren't manufacturers using this device when its so cool??

Reliaibility and durability. These devices are not made to last at all. Housing is just fiber reinforced plastic and motor is a simple brush motor (though its using ball bearings). At best, it will last you around 600-800Hrs of use. After that you have to replace the carbon brushes or the housing. Fan blade is metal so it should last a while.

So, can it be made to work? Yes, it can. Provided there is proper R&D. Eg. cast aluminum housing. brushless motor (there are water cooled motors as well). Fan blades that are designed to deliver high air pressure etc.... Electric superchargers and hybrids are already under research right now

Btw..... I am not sure if this device can be used on vehicles running MAF. Mine is MAP so its not a problem.

Parallel air filters improved FC about 10%, besides better acceleration. But engine sounds like tuned for racing. I believe a 100HP engine = 110HP engine?

• Praise 1

Parallel air filters improved FC about 10%, besides better acceleration. But engine sounds like tuned for racing. I believe a 100HP engine = 110HP engine?

Whats parallel air filters???

DIY technology [laugh]

Lol.....[laugh] [laugh]

Anyway, I am just pointing out what I experienced. Whether you believe or not is up to you. I don't gain anything by posting my experience.

Lol.....[laugh] [laugh]

Anyway, I am just pointing out what I experienced. Whether you believe or not is up to you. I don't gain anything by posting my experience.

You DIY? If yes, figure our how to install parallel filters (different cars space may be problem). I ever consider that electric supercharger (it can work) before I decided to install parallel filters.

You DIY? If yes, figure our how to install parallel filters (different cars space may be problem). I ever consider that electric supercharger (it can work) before I decided to install parallel filters.

Why not sequential filters?

Supercharger drains 900W from you're battery but your alternator only produces 400W?

WTF [hur]

My alternator is 85A one which is over 1000W.

Btw, 900W is just the peak power consumption. When RPM increases, power consumption goes down. Unless you purposely jammed up the motor, it will not consume anywhere near 900W.

Edited by Escksu

Yes it worked.

Is your fan installed before or after air filter?

I always have the phobia that blades spinning at high RPM may disintegrate and enter engine through....

I placed fan before air filter, as a security measure. Though I lost precious air pressure generated by the fan.

• Praise 1

Yes it worked.

I always have the phobia that blades spinning at high RPM may disintegrate and enter engine through....

I placed fan before air filter, as a security measure. Though I lost precious air pressure generated by the fan.

I installed an additional mesh after the device. Cause if there is no filter, debris may hit the blades and cause it to break.

Yes it worked.

I installed an additional mesh after the device. Cause if there is no filter, debris may hit the blades and cause it to break.

good [thumbsup]

Has your FC been affected with this upgrade?

My FC gone south slightly. but it's worth the experience. Especially during the first few weeks of "discovery".

good [thumbsup]

My FC gone south slightly. but it's worth the experience. Especially during the first few weeks of "discovery".

Not at the moment for me. Its still about the same. Maybe around 0.2-0.3KM/L lower. But can't tell cause I am trying out various driving patterns to see the effects. So, its not my usual driving style.

What I like most is the low end torque. Cause it did improved for me (for myself, others I don't know). I can be more relax on the clutch. Previously need to control more to prevent engine vibration.

good [thumbsup]

I am also experimenting on some RC brushless motors. They are better quality and spins faster than the supplied motor.

Btw, I am still trying to find some high pressure blades which could improve the efficiency a little.

Just treat it as my past time hobby...... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement