WAZE - GPS apps for drivers

Beng2

Im not sure if this can be used for navigation but I found this product which you can plug into your car install customised apps on. It has GPS functionalities and connects the information with your car engine. Do you think it's worth looking into?

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/clickdrive-all-your-driving-apps-in-one-box

don't give live traffic condition leh.

and dun look cheap either.

↡ Advertisement

alternatively, galactio is having beta testing for their navigation software which is not that bad.

The catch is, it is now on beta and only available for Singapore. Don't think will be free from launch..

traffic awareness seems to rip off from google maps too.

i still uses google map most of the times i require navigation but the galactio one functions pretty well in destination prediction.

:blink: 5%?!? wow~! thanks bro. for sharing!

Ah Gong, just to update you, if you are using Samsung phone with samsung cable and charger, take note that their cable have problems, after switching to my other cables with my note 2, the phone charges faster than draining now....

Also take note prolong use of this app will burn your LCD/LED screen, now my screen have a marking, anyway for me it's just a phone so I don't really bother.

Happy wazing!

Supercharged

Ah Gong, just to update you, if you are using Samsung phone with samsung cable and charger, take note that their cable have problems, after switching to my other cables with my note 2, the phone charges faster than draining now....

Also take note prolong use of this app will burn your LCD/LED screen, now my screen have a marking, anyway for me it's just a phone so I don't really bother.

Happy wazing!

i using asus. changed a few cables liow, no diff leh.

(edited)

As an avid WAZER, I am surprised how little this is covered in MCF.

Back in 2012, I must agree that the maps were not too good (compared to major GPS brands/Phone GPS... - and probably useless before 2012). But since last year when Waze started getting traction (before google acquired them), the maps in Singapore started to become better and better

Why Waze?

1. The Maps Learn

Even without editing by Waze Map Editors, the actual road information can be learnt by the system, as drivers use Waze. It compiles all the drives made and would even correct the road directions (if drivers drove in the wrong way) aligning roads (incorrectly drawn/due to recent detours)... Now, as the community of editors is quite large, Waze would suggest the edits to editors to be approved - instead of changing it unilaterally.

2. Traffic / Cops / Incidents/ Cameras

Beside recording the average speed per road segment (which was how Google Maps does it as well) Waze allows users to update Road Conditions on the fly, be it just a slowdown in traffic, or an actual incident due to a stopped vehicle, accident...

Users can simply tap a few icons and report that something happened...and if they feel inclined, provide more information (Lane/description/photo).

I particularly like the COP (seen/unseen) option, and it helps.

And of course Traffic Red Light cameras and Speed Cameras can be reported (by road users) and confirmed by Editors (in the WME - Waze Map Editor)

3. Detour / Waypoint

Waze will suggest a detour if you it detects a major slowdown in traffic, and as far as I have experienced, if I follow Waze, it keeps me out of trouble almost every time.

And if you need to add a stop along the way, Waze will add those to your route in a way I can describe as "natural".

4. Waze + Google + Foursquare

Looking for a street address used to be a pain. Postal Codes and House / Street Numbers were not part of Waze until early last year... and even then most editors didn't record those. Landmarks were useless as it wasn't always where the road meets the entrance. But since Google bought Waze, all you need to do is key the postal code and it works!!

Of course there's Foursquare... but with so many kids these days having set the Foursquare locations, I don't trust those as much.

5. It's FREE

For something as good as this, I am more than happy with it's performance.

Edited by Presea
  • Praise 4

Waze requires both mobile data and GPS to be turned on, right?

How do you guys circumvent the high data cost when traversing Malaysia?

Use MY data sim :D Don't bother using data roaming.

If you're driving, please remember to stop and toggle the settings. Don't be a road hazard. Thank you everyone. :D

Ah...got it. So while in SG, use SG data plan, then switch over to MY data once cross over....Thanks.

Most including the locals are using prepaid in other countries unless you do super big business.

Prepaid more worthwhile. You can even retain your number for 1 year just by paying a small amount. If you are frequent user, frequent topping up will keep the number active.

There are so many virtual mobile operators in MY. See until blur blur, dunno which to choose.

Prepaid right? Or u did a subscription plan with them?

• Praise 1

Most including the locals are using prepaid in other countries unless you do super big business.

Prepaid more worthwhile. You can even retain your number for 1 year just by paying a small amount. If you are frequent user, frequent topping up will keep the number active.

There are so many virtual mobile operators in MY. See until blur blur, dunno which to choose.

There is 1 country i will used data roaming. It is the best deal travelling there.

Use this application for 2 months and found it very useful! would encourage more mcf members to try it. Not only navigate but also showing the general speed of the road like googlemap (think its extracted from other user).

Its more popular in Mal where plp actively post for sign of TP, traffic jam, speed cam, accident & etc but more n more in users in SG as well.

Best of all, its FOC and ads free!

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I don't use Waze but I think my Google Now traffic warnings say "via Waze". I think G-Now can retrieve breakdown alerts from Waze...

• Praise 1

My experience with this app is that the app does not get you to the exact place you want most of the time for me. it will bring you very near to it and hopefully you can figure it out that you have reach. No big issues if the destination is a shopping mall or commercial buildings as the name of the building/mall will usually be very visible. However if you are navigating to a HDB or industrial buildings in a area that you never have been, my experience is that the App will bring you to somewhere nearby and tell you that you have reach but you will not be able to tell which is the correct building unless you stop and look at the map again. e.g. i was brought to the main road opposite of the destination where the actual route or my other navigation software will lead me further up and turn a bigger round in order to reach that block's carpark.

Nevertheless it is still a good and free app for me to monitor the traffic while driving and i do actively update if i get struck in a jam which does not move to warn other drivers.

Supersonic

Since I got a phone holder, I decide to use compare WAZE with my Garmin gps side by side.

Case 1: I search for a blk number in a hdb estate. I saw what turns up and press that. It took me to a wrong location, bcuz I didn't notice the St number is different. All hdb blocks are uniquely identified by blk number in an estate. There's no duplicate. So I'm not sure why the same blk number, but in a wrong St number is displayed in WAZE.

Case 2: I saw google map showing traffic jam along TPE towards Tampines. Garmin, as usual just route straight into the jam. But WAZE supposed to "divert" traffic, also route me straight into the jam. I had to do my own manual routing, after looking at google map traffic condition, into Punggol Way, Tampines Rd to bypass TPE. So maybe WAZE decide that traffic is "NOT BAD ENOUGH" and still route me into it.

Otherwise, I had a few other cases, where WAZE route better than Garmin, if I decide not to follow a certain turn or route.

Garmin would just stupidly try to reroute back to expressway, when I do not want that route. It would do so until a point where, it's too far away, then it will correctly use the route I want.

↡ Advertisement