3m normal and crystalline solar film

Samshio

Also thinking of getting CR70 for the front windscreen.

3M Crystalline reflects thermal energy while the rest of those nano ceramic solar film (Infartint, Tintsy Cool, etc etc) absorb heat and transfer to the glass or air around it. So even if the ceramic film can give 99% IRR, it may not perform better than 3M Crystalline in an enclosed space.

• Praise 2

3M Crystalline reflects thermal energy while the rest of those nano ceramic solar film (Infartint, Tintsy Cool, etc etc) absorb heat and transfer to the glass or air around it. So even if the ceramic film can give 99% IRR, it may not perform better than 3M Crystalline in an enclosed space.

Interesting fact about the absorption of heat and transferring the energy to the glass. Didn't know that. 

So which is better? 3m that reflects or nano ceramic ones that absorb and then transfer?

However, someone mentioned above that 3m crystalline is also ceramic?

(edited)

CR70 VLT is only 68% so it won't pass SG LTA regulations. Also, most car windows come slightly tinted as standard so it makes the total VLT even lower. Need to use CR90 to be sure. For the front windscreen and side windows, the premium 3M has a darker tint that just passes the 70% requirement so its total heat rejection is better than the CR90. For the rear windscreen and side windows, CR40 VLT is 25% so will pass LTA regulations and offers the best heat rejection for 3M films.

Wanted front premium and rear crystalline but the shop doesn't allow the mix so I went with crystalline, front CR90 and rear CR40. So far so good but its early days and I normally don't park under the sun lol.

I've also used vkool in my previous rides. I think vkool is good but after parking under the sun for a few hours, will still be hot. I think its the same for all films. Think sun shade is still best to keep the steering wheel and seats from becoming unbearably hot.

Edited by Squeaky

(edited)

I thought crystalline is one level up from the normal 3M. You mean there's another higher premium range @Squeaky?

Edited by synthez

I thought crystalline is one level up from the normal 3M. You mean there's another higher premium range @Squeaky?

Yes Crystalline is the best in range for 3M.

For total heat rejection, the tint of the film also plays a part, i.e. the darker the film, the greater the heat rejection. For front windscreen, 3M CR90 (VLT at ~ 87%) is not as dark as the premium range that can go closer to 70%, and so the heat rejection is lower for the CR90. Note that we are not comparing same tints and so the premium is more effective, but darker.

For rear windscreen, CR40 at 25% VLT is the limit for LTA and so would be best for heat rejection vs premium.

Google for 3M solar films and all the specs are available for comparison.

• Praise 1

Only 3M Crystalline and V-Kool will reflect IR. V-Kool uses metallic particles to reflect, thats why interfered with ERP IU signal. 3M Crystalline uses proprietary, multilayer optical film Nano-technology that combines over 200 layers to reflect IR. Other brands uses nano ceramic to block IR and thus absorb the heat in the progress.      

3m-crystalline-block.png

Hypersonic

Only 3M Crystalline and V-Kool will reflect IR. V-Kool uses metallic particles to reflect, thats why interfered with ERP IU signal. 3M Crystalline uses proprietary, multilayer optical film Nano-technology that combines over 200 layers to reflect IR. Other brands uses nano ceramic to block IR and thus absorb the heat in the progress.

3m-crystalline-block.png

I prefer more light from panoramic roof. Which model you suggest? Can share the vendor and contact? How much you think to do up a panoramic roof for X-Trail?
  • Praise 1

(edited)

If it is for the panoramic roof, then I wont recommend 3M Crystalline. Cos Crystalline uses layer technology to reflect the most sun beam at an angle to the film, not directly on the film. Thus at noontime, the sun will shine directly on the car roof and the reflection is the weakest, unlike if you install on front screen where at noon, the sun will be at an angle to the film giving maximum reflection. Your best bet will be V-Kool, it uses rare metals particulars in the film to reflect the solar energy. Also for the roof you wont have to worry about cutting a hole for ERP IU device when using V-Kool (V-Kool will also block electronic signals due to the metal content, but no worries if install on the roof). If you want the most light into the car and the best solar reflection/rejection, the Solitaire VK-70 will be your best bet. With Total Solar Rejection (TSER) at 55%, it will be very difficult to find another better film (3M Crystalline CR70 only provides TSER of 50%). You can also check if V-Kool have higher reflective solar film that could increase the heat reflection, but the visible light will also be less. I'm not sure about the price though. But for comparison, I was quoted by both 3M and V-Kool for my front wind screen, 3M Crystalline is $250 and V-Kool (VK70) is $300. Hope this helps. 

TINT_VK_zpseda48a3b.jpg

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Praise 4

Hypersonic

@Brainstorm, very detailed info shared by you, thanks. You still have the vendor and contact for V-Kool? Will metal particles in V-Kool film installed at panoramic roof affect hand phone or GPS?

• Praise 1

@Brainstorm, very detailed info shared by you, thanks. You still have the vendor and contact for V-Kool? Will metal particles in V-Kool film installed at panoramic roof affect hand phone or GPS?

It will affect but not by a lot. Cos if you compare with normal car, our roof are 100% metal.. worst than V-Kool. But if you compare with another glass roof car without V-Kool, of cos not as good. I just contact their number on their website direct to ask:

V-KOOL International Pte Ltd - Corporate Outlet

159 Sin Ming Road #01-08 Amtech Building

Singapore 575625

Tel: 6776 5432      Fax: 6774 9949

Email us: [email protected]

Operating Hours:

Mon - Fri: 0900 hrs - 1800 hrs

Sat          : 0900 hrs - 1300 hrs

Sun & Public Holidays: Closed

Hypersonic

OK, already close today.

Got the panoramic roof done with V-Kool 70. Staff Yanti was helpful.
  • Praise 2

Yes, I had v-Kool before and my GPS was almost un usable. The signal was being blocked!

Got the panoramic roof done with V-Kool 70. Staff Yanti was helpful.

How much did it cost and does it feel better against the heat of the sun? 

Hypersonic

How much did it cost and does it feel better against the heat of the sun?

$280

Only 1st day and was rather hot late morning, panoramic roof was not that hot compared to windscreen provided by AD.

Yes, I had v-Kool before and my GPS was almost un usable. The signal was being blocked!

You installed V-Kool for entire car or only panoramic roof?
  • Praise 8

$280

Only 1st day and was rather hot late morning, panoramic roof was not that hot compared to windscreen provided by AD.

Wow, sounds like a good deal for $280 on a panoramic roof. Enjoy it!!

• Praise 1

$280

Entire car. Can't remember the type but it was the highest grade compliant to LTA
↡ Advertisement