Dunlop dz101 or kumho ku31?

Luv_presea

Any advice on the above 2 tyres? Need a change soon. Main priority is grip. Any advice is much appreciated.

Tyre profile will be 205/50R16 or 205/45R16. TIA!

↡ Advertisement

I was once stuck between these 2 tyres as well.

Eventually, my main concern is $$, so ku31.

Not sure what others will say, but I think the following is what I'll go for :

- Grip => ku31

- Noise => dz101

I was once stuck between these 2 tyres as well.

Eventually, my main concern is $$, so ku31.

Not sure what others will say, but I think the following is what I'll go for :

- Grip => ku31

- Noise => dz101

Price wise the Dunlop is almost $40 more than the kumho which is quite a lot. So the ku31 has better grip than the dz101?

I'm not sure which is better, as I have no means of comparing them at the same time.

But I remembered reading a review that dz101 wasn't too good in wet.

As my main concern was $$ then, thus my decision.

I had used both tyres before. Both are equally noisy after 10k. Grip wise KU31 is better. Base on your 2 choice, I will get the KU31.

Hearing many 3rd party "reviews" on which Tyres are good or not, I'm a guy that have personally tried both Tyres, so here's my own opinions.

DZ101 (205/45/16)

Tyres are strictly Made in Japan, no Vietnam/Korea confusion. Whoever said wet grip not good? Design of grooves cut through wet puddles at high speed effortlessly, and only shortfall is it brakes with mild unsettled-ness. Dry grip is up there with UHP asymmetric tyres eg Eagle F1A, RE001.

Ok about noise, I don't understand the big deal and negative press about this tyre. This tyre is sensitive to pressure and tyre care; fail to have sufficient air pressure and expect noise due to uneven wear, YOUR fault, not Dunlop's fault. I have used them for 35,000km and tyre roar only becomes irritating at the 25,000km mark. Because I take care of the DZs, they take care of me.

Verdict: Very well rounded directional Tyres, adequate wet performance, tyre rotation and air pressure crucial.

Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 205/45/16

Tyres made in Vietnam for small sizes. I have not seen any other Tyres makes made in Vietnam but gave it a try since its so farking cheap. Tyres are quieter INITIALLY when I put them on, as rubber compound is softer. Dry grip impressive but wet grip especially braking in cornering terrible - DON'T TRY. Due to softer compound, dry grip doesn't inspire as much confidence than the DZ101 and the poor experience in the wet already made me lose confidence in them pretty quickly.

Noise wise, yup, quiet for first rotation (10,000km). After that, it goes downhill. Around 15,000km, tyre roar onset leading to unbearable noise. On further inspection, seems like the rotational main blocks have "peeled" upwards, leading to a "wong wong wong" sound. Grip also appeared significantly lesser. Slid a few times on slip road from Moulmein road up to CTE. Worse, tyre appeared worn, like the DZ101 when they were at 25,000km. Wear rate - poor. Ditched them after 18,000km.

Friends also said the other Ecsta XS had very poor tread wear, so it's true..?

Verdict: you get what you pay for :)

Cheers!

Supercharged

Hearing many 3rd party "reviews" on which Tyres are good or not, I'm a guy that have personally tried both Tyres, so here's my own opinions.

DZ101 (205/45/16)

Tyres are strictly Made in Japan, no Vietnam/Korea confusion. Whoever said wet grip not good? Design of grooves cut through wet puddles at high speed effortlessly, and only shortfall is it brakes with mild unsettled-ness. Dry grip is up there with UHP asymmetric tyres eg Eagle F1A, RE001.

Ok about noise, I don't understand the big deal and negative press about this tyre. This tyre is sensitive to pressure and tyre care; fail to have sufficient air pressure and expect noise due to uneven wear, YOUR fault, not Dunlop's fault. I have used them for 35,000km and tyre roar only becomes irritating at the 25,000km mark. Because I take care of the DZs, they take care of me.

Verdict: Very well rounded directional Tyres, adequate wet performance, tyre rotation and air pressure crucial.

Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 205/45/16

Tyres made in Vietnam for small sizes. I have not seen any other Tyres makes made in Vietnam but gave it a try since its so farking cheap. Tyres are quieter INITIALLY when I put them on, as rubber compound is softer. Dry grip impressive but wet grip especially braking in cornering terrible - DON'T TRY. Due to softer compound, dry grip doesn't inspire as much confidence than the DZ101 and the poor experience in the wet already made me lose confidence in them pretty quickly.

Noise wise, yup, quiet for first rotation (10,000km). After that, it goes downhill. Around 15,000km, tyre roar onset leading to unbearable noise. On further inspection, seems like the rotational main blocks have "peeled" upwards, leading to a "wong wong wong" sound. Grip also appeared significantly lesser. Slid a few times on slip road from Moulmein road up to CTE. Worse, tyre appeared worn, like the DZ101 when they were at 25,000km. Wear rate - poor. Ditched them after 18,000km.

Friends also said the other Ecsta XS had very poor tread wear, so it's true..?

Verdict: you get what you pay for :)

Cheers!

When did u have the kumho? Is it recently or few yrs ago?

I think diff batches are different quality.

I'm not sure which is better, as I have no means of comparing them at the same time.

But I remembered reading a review that dz101 wasn't too good in wet.

As my main concern was $$ then, thus my decision.

I see. So how is the ku31? Is it good? Read many good reviews.

I had used both tyres before. Both are equally noisy after 10k. Grip wise KU31 is better. Base on your 2 choice, I will get the KU31.

Thanks for ur input bro. Surprised ku31 is better in terms of grip. And cheaper as well.

Thanks all bros who adviced. But still unsure which to choose. Mixed reviews. Haha.

For ku31 - $90 (205/50R16)

For dx101 - $128 (205/50R16)

Shop advised me dz101 more for dry grip but wet ku31 is better. Dunno true anot.

i am now on dz101...my fuel consumption increase by 20%...i am not sure if others experience the same...previous is on I think MICHELIN Preceda that come stock with the car...

i am now on dz101...my fuel consumption increase by 20%...i am not sure if others experience the same...previous is on I think MICHELIN Preceda that come stock with the car...

U using same profile as stock? Heard Dunlop tyres are quite heavy.

↡ Advertisement