Who like cats?

Rubberstamp

quick question: how do you keep your cats at home (landed prop/hdb/pte apt)? i'm under the impression that unlike dogs, cats are hardly domestic animals (despite the name); they like to wander around and (hopefully) go home once in a while.

we put plastic meshing at the grilles. Prevents them from even trying to climb over.
↡ Advertisement

quick question: how do you keep your cats at home (landed prop/hdb/pte apt)? i'm under the impression that unlike dogs, cats are hardly domestic animals (despite the name); they like to wander around and (hopefully) go home once in a while.

Hmmmmmm sounds like :grin:

Turbocharged

most animals are territorial by nature. the only distinction is how big they want their territory to be. their idea of territory size is not the same as ours. we think our house should be big enough for them but in their mind, their territory extend to the next 50m outside of our home.

going back to cats - for community cats, most male cats have a territory of a few blocks of flats while female cats are mostly contented with a smaller space of 1 void deck. The wondering around you had mentioned is their daily patrolling to ensure that no strange cats are in their territory, to protect their food source (whether hunted prey or from human feeders).

For pet cats, if you keep them entertained at home with high areas and climbing posts, they won't even bother going out of the house. At least for me, my cats (except for 1 because she is too kaypoh) won't even step out of the corridor even if the main door is open. they have learnt that their territory is their house.

for the window meshing etc, it is more for their safety since most of us live in high rise buildings. A cat in hunting mode might forget that there is no safety net if they jump to catch the bird perched on the corridor wall. for myself, the necessary windows and main doors have an acrylic panel to prevent them to going out. it also reduces the water splashing into my home when the cleaners wash the corridor.

Turbocharged

i see. that means the cat toilet must be indoor then  :wacko:

technology has advanced a lot over the last couple of decades in the development of cat litter. nowadays they come in many forms - pine, clay, crystal, paper, clumping, non clumping. most work very well in keeping the smell down in conjunction with hooded litter boxes with weekly washing of the boxes.

if the shit is cleared soon, there is practically no smell. it's the same for humans. also got smell if we don't flush the toilet after big business. [laugh]

some cats can even be trained to do their business in human toilets.

my wife used to put plastic grille on her bedroom window frame to prevent the cat from escaping, this was when she was still renting. after we got married, the cat seems quite trained not to jump out the windows. i always make sure our front door is closed so that the cat does not run out.

we had 2 occasions where the cat went missing and we had to search high and low for her around the neighbourhood (this was when my wife was still renting)... dont wish to go through that again.

yes...litter in the flat. Its those covered ones with swinging door....no smell!

yes same for us... very convenient.

my wife used to put plastic grille on her bedroom window frame to prevent the cat from escaping, this was when she was still renting. after we got married, the cat seems quite trained not to jump out the windows. i always make sure our front door is closed so that the cat does not run out.

we had 2 occasions where the cat went missing and we had to search high and low for her around the neighbourhood (this was when my wife was still renting)... dont wish to go through that again.

yes.....we have 2 one for each cat but surprisingly they are willing to share. So right now one is use as a pan for them to play in. Had an awful night......those 2 were playing, chasing and tumbling over me while i sleep whole night! Haiz.....now i feel sleepy and tired.
  • Praise 1

yes.....we have 2 one for each cat but surprisingly they are willing to share. So right now one is use as a pan for them to play in. Had an awful night......those 2 were playing, chasing and tumbling over me while i sleep whole night! Haiz.....now i feel sleepy and tired.

hahah bro... we keep our cat outside the bedroom when we sleep at night. but still feeling sleepy and tired... because those 2 playing and tumbling also... 2 kids! haha...

what breed is that? he is of a good size.

Its within the Siamese family, Red Flame Point to be exact.

A lil intro into my cat habits.

Loves shrimps.

Eats durians.

Grooms human head.

Drools a lot when sits on top of my body.

Blue eyed during day, red eyed during night.

After poo, will find a rag and drag his butt on the rag. *to clean his a**hole*

If u wan budget, get mash from 5-gold shop or daiso to mash up ur windows n front gate.. they should b home bounded n not to let them out in the public.. they might get hurt from cat fights or traffic.. actually cats r very independent creatures, not needy as dog.. cats r cool~~ Do read up more b4 u decide to have one or more~~ Please adopt,  dun buy~~ :wub:

• Praise 4

If u wan budget, get mash from 5-gold shop or daiso to mash up ur windows n front gate.. they should b home bounded n not to let them out in the public.. they might get hurt from cat fights or traffic.. actually cats r very independent creatures, not needy as dog.. cats r cool~~ Do read up more b4 u decide to have one or more~~ Please adopt,  dun buy~~ :wub:

Yes don't buy!!

I really hate to see the so called breeders and selling off the cats online.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Its within the Siamese family, Red Flame Point to be exact.

A lil intro into my cat habits.

Loves shrimps.

Eats durians.

Grooms human head.

Drools a lot when sits on top of my body.

Blue eyed during day, red eyed during night.

After poo, will find a rag and drag his butt on the rag. *to clean his a**hole*

does it scoot (dragging its bottom on the floor/carpet/rag etc) other times as well? scooting might be a problem with worms (easily resolved with a worming tablet from the vet) or might be an anal sac issue (vet can help to express the anal sac).

my male cat's anal sac burst 2 times over a period of 12 months. painful for him and for us. he was in the e-collar for at least 4 weeks each time while the wound had a chance to heal. And we had to disinfect his wound 2x a day for the same period of time.

might be good to have the vet check it out if behavorial issues are ruled out.

Turbocharged

sharing my experience.

my eldest is coming to 18 and her hind legs are getting weak, also due to diabetes. climbing in and out of litter boxes with higher entrances is now quite xiong. we gave her one where the entrance is lower. it is more manageable for her.

if your cats are getting older and weaker, do consider changing to a litter box with a lower entrance.

and if you find that the pee patches in the litter boxes are getting consistently larger than usual and/or they are drinking more than usual, please bring it to the vet asap. it is likely a sign of kidney disease (common for older cats but cats as young as 6 can get it too). don't delay. early detection and remedial action can save its life.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2