Main Water Meter

David

Could someone enlighten me on the working of such a meter?

1)why are there 2 meter?

2)how should we read them?

Thank You.post-1324-1327675740_thumb.jpg

post-1324-1327675630_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

bro,u in facilities management hah?this is the main incoming PUB meter,the small one is a by pass meter,usually we take the main meter reading,we always made sure the tag number are the same,so to ensure no meter was change,you can take weekly reading and see the different or if theres spike it might be pipe leak or maybe during water tank washing,hmn... my knowledge is limited haha

Look at both meters carefully.

There should be different measuring units.

Depending on flow rates it measures on various diameter of pipings. e.g. 1,10,or100m3,

Both readings should be taken together and added up to compute.

Why 2 meters: because low flow rate cannot turn the turbine wheel in the bigger meter.

i dun know much about the flow meter. I know more about valves. This one we are looking at is a typical non return valve. You can tell by looking at the arrow indicator on the right side of the valve seen in this pic, it's flowing from left to right, in one direction only. Most valves I know about are on board ships, when a valve has a bypass usually it's to protect the pump or in case of a leak it's redirected back to the main.

Depending on flow rates it measures on various diameter of pipings. e.g. 1,10,or100m3,

Why 2 meters: because low flow rate cannot turn the turbine wheel in the bigger meter.

So when there is low flow rate, the other meter with the turbine wheel wold not be registering any thing right? What about when there is a much higher flowrate? Does the other meter also register a reading?

when u say low flow rate are you refering to pressure?Say if the main meter pipe is so big the pressure i presume wouldnt be small,unless someone shut from the main main before service this bulk meter for emergency?

FYI I have seen the insides of a flow meter. It does not have a turbine wheel...or any kind of wheel. I also dunno how it works but definitely no turbine no wheels.

I guess the small meter reading is not significant,cause the reading are minimum,bypass meter can also facilities main meter replacement.

yup he's correct

There will always be a rotating turbine or nutating wheel inside the water meter.

You may have seen some electronic water meters without any rotating wheels.

Thank You. Both read in M3.

In this condition, I am quite sure both meters turn faster and so will your heart beat and bill. [sweatdrop]

Hi, care to enlighten on above statement?

That is why they are calls flow meters.

They are calibrated

High or low flow, they will measure liquid that passes through.

↡ Advertisement