Renew COE or Buy pre-owned?

Wintersonata

Thanks guys... yeah the risk is too high for me to take. But I always wonder y only in Singapore cars tend to have a healthy life of around 10 yrs but many cars are used much longer overseas. It seems like somehow the COE has cause our cars to suffer fm illness when the reach 8 yrs onwards

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

To me a car is not just a daily to and fro tool, there are 2 things I consider:

1) Price of buying new car vs price of rebuild existing car and renew COE   

2) Existing car model vs the latest generation --> is it worth to switch.

For me I will choose to rebuild (not just part by part touch up repair) and at the same time upgrade the parts (e.g. coilovers, brake kit). As for whether is it a financial burden, I don't see why buying new car is less taxing on the pocket if you compare total rebuild fee vs fee of brand new car (don't talk about loan, that is not reducing any burden).

Secondly, the car I am driving currently is better than the latest generation (subaru legacy gt) in terms of meeting my needs, which is road performance. If I were to consider new cars that offer similar performance and space, that will be very costly if I were to pay in full at the start.

Buying new car doesn't mean it won't need repair, just that it will come at a later stage. So change again?

Then back to the thread of renew vs buying pre-owned.

If you are not into upgrading of parts buying pre owned (below 10 yrs) is ok since once time's up you can just scrap and go for another renowned. Then you can experience driving many models of cars.

However it may be a bit troublesome to source for good pre-owned cars every few years, then you will need to go through a few middleman's fees unless you buy direct from seller.

Overseas either people maintain their car more regularly or they just ignore minor defects. Probably here we are more picky about our cars.

Overseas either people maintain their car more regularly or they just ignore minor defects. Probably here we are more picky about our cars.

• Praise 3

To me a car is not just a daily to and fro tool, there are 2 things I consider:

1) Price of buying new car vs price of rebuild existing car and renew COE   

2) Existing car model vs the latest generation --> is it worth to switch.

For me I will choose to rebuild (not just part by part touch up repair) and at the same time upgrade the parts (e.g. coilovers, brake kit). As for whether is it a financial burden, I don't see why buying new car is less taxing on the pocket if you compare total rebuild fee vs fee of brand new car (don't talk about loan, that is not reducing any burden).

Secondly, the car I am driving currently is better than the latest generation (subaru legacy gt) in terms of meeting my needs, which is road performance. If I were to consider new cars that offer similar performance and space, that will be very costly if I were to pay in full at the start.

Buying new car doesn't mean it won't need repair, just that it will come at a later stage. So change again?

Then back to the thread of renew vs buying pre-owned.

If you are not into upgrading of parts buying pre owned (below 10 yrs) is ok since once time's up you can just scrap and go for another renowned. Then you can experience driving many models of cars.

However it may be a bit troublesome to source for good pre-owned cars every few years, then you will need to go through a few middleman's fees unless you buy direct from seller.

Well said but if every car owner thinks like you & renew COE, then COE quota is going to be reduced drastically and COE price is going to sky rocket North  [laugh]

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

One of my car mechanic also bought a Wish that is expiring next month, he's going to renew it too. Did mentioned that Toyota parts are cheaper and easier to find/replace/repair than Honda ones.

actually mechanics cars are usually not well maintained. they work on other peoples cars daily, they wont work on their own unless somethings breaks. working on their own cars do not bring in the money. so they only fix it if they have to.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

Hey guys i'm new here and want some advice from the seniors... My car will due jun 07 n currently looking at COE cars such as Rush, Terios or any SUV. I'm into SUV as i like off road. I want to ask whether is it worth it to buy COE cars? This is the car i'm really interested in http://m.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=603561

Rather than get the one you have in mind, which is a parallel imported Toyota Rush, with 5 year renewed COE at $8K annual depreciation, I rather you get a Daihatsu Terios (Toyota Rush's twin) which is an authorised distributor car, and depreciates only $6,500 a year with 10 year renewed COE.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=606436&DL=2968

By the way, these 2 wheel drive SUVs don't come with a transfer case, so not advisable to got for hard core off road in places like Endau Rompin National Park

• Praise 1

Rather than get the one you have in mind, which is a parallel imported Toyota Rush, with 5 year renewed COE at $8K annual depreciation, I rather you get a Daihatsu Terios (Toyota Rush's twin) which is an authorised distributor car, and depreciates only $6,500 a year with 10 year renewed COE.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=606436&DL=2968

By the way, these 2 wheel drive SUVs don't come with a transfer case, so not advisable to got for hard core off road in places like Endau Rompin National Park

And yes Rush is 4x2 while Terios on the other end is 4x4. And what you said is true in terms off roading but you know SG got no much choice for 4x4. Even my current Vitara is 2Wd. a friend of mine who drives 07 Tucson n does his Tucson for off road. I even got a friend who use Kia Soul to play off road. But anyw in terms of maintenance, which is less stress? Daihatsu or Toyota?

• Praise 1

And yes Rush is 4x2 while Terios on the other end is 4x4. And what you said is true in terms off roading but you know SG got no much choice for 4x4. Even my current Vitara is 2Wd. a friend of mine who drives 07 Tucson n does his Tucson for off road. I even got a friend who use Kia Soul to play off road. But anyw in terms of maintenance, which is less stress? Daihatsu or Toyota?

Toyota owns Daihatsu.

So a Daihatsu is essentially a Toyota, but cheaper to purchase. If you look under the wing mirror of the Daihatsu Terios, it shows the word TOYOTA

Toyota owns Daihatsu.

So a Daihatsu is essentially a Toyota, but cheaper to purchase. If you look under the wing mirror of the Daihatsu Terios, it shows the word TOYOTA

Ahh i see thanks :) appreciate it alot sir. I'm still contemplating tho whether to take COE car or buy 2-3 years left... cos if COE cars, most shop take 10-20% down n monthly not tat bad but if PARF cars usually 20-30% down but monthly high. Hais so stress :(

Twincharged

actually mechanics cars are usually not well maintained. they work on other peoples cars daily, they wont work on their own unless somethings breaks. working on their own cars do not bring in the money. so they only fix it if they have to.

think it really depends on individual. One of my family's current cars is previously owned by my mechanic. The car was well maintained.

• Praise 1

Thanks guys... yeah the risk is too high for me to take. But I always wonder y only in Singapore cars tend to have a healthy life of around 10 yrs but many cars are used much longer overseas. It seems like somehow the COE has cause our cars to suffer fm illness when the reach 8 yrs onwards

Due to 10 year lifespan, people skip on maintenance.

Imagine left 2 years, you will still fix mounting or replace transmission oil? Most people will dong until scrap.

• Praise 1

Imagine left 2 years, you will still fix mounting or replace transmission oil? Most people will dong until scrap.

I'm the odd one out, Hahaha. Just replaced engine mount with 1yr 10mths left.

Whether to renew or not, really too many factors to consider. I'm a more emotional person, dun mind looking at the same cabin layout for next 10yrs. It has served me well during my tough times, provided valuable family time when travelling in it every weekend. Of cos naturally I took good care of it. My exterior still comparable to a 2yrs old car.. Well, it's just me.. A simple person.

I just bought a 9yr old Edix in view to review the COE when it is due. My expiring Colt plus just couldn't fit a family of 6 now.

I also have a Cooper S due in 2018 and I too intend to renew its COE.

The simple reason here is cost. I won't be able to get a new MPV at $6.7k dep/yr or $7k dep/yr for a performance hatch.

As long as it fits your individual needs, go for what you feel worth. Today, a renewed car is sold at $10k after 5yrs COE renewal.

That is good business for the dealers when they take in our used cars at parf.

I think 2yrs still quite long la!

My friend just change his shock absorber & mounting on his 8yrs old altis.

I think left 1yr people will not do anything on it.

I think 2yrs still quite long la!

My friend just change his shock absorber & mounting on his 8yrs old altis.

I think left 1yr people will not do anything on it.

Some wear and tear items, no Choice, need to change even if left a year to drive, or it may affects Safety. I just changed my wheels ball bearings and all 4 brake pads.

I intend to renew 10yr coe for my e60.

It's a good car and a true blue 6 potters and not some half cut.

Just need to overcome the OMV.....haiz

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1