Renew COE or Buy pre-owned?

Wintersonata

Hahahahahaha, only in Singapore, cars above 10yrs or more than 200,000km are considered no longer roadworthy.

Seems like these type of cars will break into 2 while moving off from the lights.

I think we should travel more often to Japan, US or even our close neighbour where 30,000-40,000km per year is a norm.

Over here where our road conditions are generally considered quite good and most of us change EO and parts before the recommended mileage.

Yet, any cars more than 10 years or 200,000km must overhaul engine, change everything or else car will not move.

Yes, if its a car that change hands many times

engine that are well taken care of can last way beyond that. Just change the wear and tears on engine components (water pump, timing chains etc).

why the need to overhaul?

Because 200k is high mileage. Do not tell me compare to other countries story. This is spore and this a democratic country. And do not compare our democracy with other countries. This is uniquely spore
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

24k for 5 yrs very cheap, mine renewed 2 years back 32k for 5 years

You have not taken the PARF forgone into consideration.

I would renew 10 years. At the 5th year, if sell, can fetch higher than paper value.

If renew 5 years, your car is destined for the scrapyard

I would renew 10 years. At the 5th year, if sell, can fetch higher than paper value.

Depending on what car also. Some cars will not last so long.

But renew 10 yrs is always better

Hi gurus

newbie here trying to seek advice. Currently driving Oct 07 Honda stream (1st owner).

PARF value - $11249.

Mileage - slightly less than 120k km.

Each tank of fuel (~ 50L of SPC 95) - ~600km or 12km/l.

Maintenance - once every 6months.

Taking reference to Nov 16 PQP, 5years - ~$28027 & 10 years - ~$56053.

Depreciation for 5 years - $28027 + $11249 = $40276 for 5 years or $8055.2 per year.

Depreciation for 10 years - $56053 + $11249 = $67302 for 10 years or $6730.2 per year.

Including annual inspection & higher road tax, but is it advisable to renew my current car? Please also point out if i have left out any important things to take note?

Thanks!

My stream is also expiring in Oct, situation almost same. In fact I just paid for the next 6 months road tax. for a 10 yrs old car, definitely there will be wear and tear. more maintenance cost should be factored in.

for $9k a year, you can get a new car but not a 7 seater. maybe you will save a little fuel but different not much. it is always better feel when you drive a new car.

It actually quite balance out either way you choose. i am more likely to replace. just waiting...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

only parf not a lot, only 6k plus. Don't think my car can last 20 years, 5 years is good enough.

• Praise 1

Hahahahahaha, only in Singapore, cars above 10yrs or more than 200,000km are considered no longer roadworthy.

Seems like these type of cars will break into 2 while moving off from the lights.

I think we should travel more often to Japan, US or even our close neighbour where 30,000-40,000km per year is a norm.

Over here where our road conditions are generally considered quite good and most of us change EO and parts before the recommended mileage.

Yet, any cars more than 10 years or 200,000km must overhaul engine, change everything or else car will not move.

wah...if really like that I need to overhaul 2 times liao

post-18855-0-78355000-1490967768_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

engine that are well taken care of can last way beyond that. Just change the wear and tears on engine components (water pump, timing chains etc).

why the need to overhaul?

I guess the correct answer is "limpeh got money to overhaul, why you bother?"  :XD:

Turbocharged

only parf not a lot, only 6k plus. Don't think my car can last 20 years, 5 years is good enough.

Cars can last 30 years if you purchase a common Japanese or Malaysian make and model.

My father ' s car has renewed COE a second time. Just need to change engine oil regularly and replace wear and tear parts. Second renewal was worth it as there is no scrap value to forgo.

Anytime want to scrap, get back pro rated COE, unlike new cars

I would like to share my humble opinion.

Currently on a Honda Civic, thinking of getting the new Civic but cant really afford.

It would be a tight stretch. However renewing COE would mean that i dump half my life savings.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)

Contemplated and discussed with wife and children..  As a family we decided not to renew, all will BMW (Bus, MRT and Walk, hahaha. but serious)

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 5

I would like to share my humble opinion.

Currently on a Honda Civic, thinking of getting the new Civic but cant really afford.

It would be a tight stretch. However renewing COE would mean that i dump half my life savings.

ð© Of course i could do refinancing but i find it difficult to swallow to finance for an old car that i have already paid for originally. Hai.

So a good preown would be my best option.

Was thinking of Vezel too.

Its Honda and i like Honda.

Reliable and strong for its class.

Preown also quite ok for me.

At least no stretch.

So my option is buy pre owned.

Buy attrage

Turbocharged

Cars can last 30 years if you purchase a common Japanese or Malaysian make and model.

My father ' s car has renewed COE a second time. Just need to change engine oil regularly and replace wear and tear parts. Second renewal was worth it as there is no scrap value to forgo.

Anytime want to scrap, get back pro rated COE, unlike new cars

the engine can last but not alot of parts. quite a number of things to change if hold till so long. 

Warranty matters less to me.

Drivaility and safety are my priorities.

The Attrage is a soft-panelled, softly-sprung car that just doesn't handle well. Forget about NCAP ratings either.

A very-entry A-to-B at best.

↡ Advertisement