Vehicle Inspection of tail lights

Kar_lover

Hi All

Have been thinking of changing my tail lights to LED type. But my car will be due for 3 year inspection next year.

Just wondering, what do they test tail light for? Is it just brightness? If the LED is bright enough (its probably brighter than stock) then its ok? Or will they know it is a modification and will result in failure?

For my car, i have to trade in my original tail light to get the LED tail light so once change will be very hard to change back.

Thanks for any info that you can share.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

LED tail-lamp is not LTA friendly, period...

change it aft ur inspection pls...

there are after market head lamps and tail lights which are LTA approved... the tail lamps LED or not i'm not sure...

vicom inspections are much more lenient than LTA inspections... frd passed even with aftermarket HID.... see your luck

Thanks all.

For my car (koup), my original tail lamp must trade in with the LED one. Cos they will use my tail lamp to modify for the next customer. If don't want to trade in the price is much higher (which then i don't want already).

My next inspection is actually Apr 2013. So quite long more. But problem is once i change, i cannot change back. Even if i change only after the inspection, there will be another inspection 2 years after that. Eventually the problem will come back.

Of course if i change car before Apr 2013 then problem solved - but what if i don't?

Thanks all.

For my car (koup), my original tail lamp must trade in with the LED one. Cos they will use my tail lamp to modify for the next customer. If don't want to trade in the price is much higher (which then i don't want already).

My next inspection is actually Apr 2013. So quite long more. But problem is once i change, i cannot change back. Even if i change only after the inspection, there will be another inspection 2 years after that. Eventually the problem will come back.

Of course if i change car before Apr 2013 then problem solved - but what if i don't?

No worries. If they issue you a fine and tell you to change back to original and go for another round of inspection(pay another fee), you LLST have to follow their instructions. Spend more & more money only. :D

• Praise 1

No worries. If they issue you a fine and tell you to change back to original and go for another round of inspection(pay another fee), you LLST have to follow their instructions. Spend more & more money only. :D

Thanks for your zero value comment.

after market taiwan brands are not too bad but chances of water sipping in is always higher than OEM ones...

to modify it is ridiculous... i'd rather get a full after market set anytime...

and to get caught on the roads with LED tail lamps is less chance than to kenna big sweep 1st prize...

but i see that there are probably some mis com this... i believe some here think you are going to add additional leds.. thats illegal of course... but i believe you mean to change the whole tail lamp...

I think the authorities effort of making our roads safer is a failure cos instead of drivers worry for their own safety and for other road users' safety, they worry about things like whether their mods can pass inspection or not.

LOL...test for brightness. How about beauty of the tail lights? Why dun ppl think of safety? In the event of a failure? Ppl do not know you are braking. Things like short circuit or overloading the circuit that can cause failure. Lifes are at stake and yet they are only concern about can pass inspection or not. What's the point of inspection? Do ppl really know? Whether your car is road worthy so that the roads can be a bit safer to use.

Sigh. What do ppl know?

Edited by Watwheels

I think the authorities effort of making our roads safer is a failure cos instead of drivers worry for their own safety and for other road users' safety, they worry about things like whether their mods can pass inspection or not.

They sort of like do both lah... But more on the mods...

• Praise 1

Best is to get a spare tail light just for the inspection.

Cannot pass means cannot pass. The fine you are willing to pay should channel it to buying a spare tail lights.

Perhaps you are in the Koup forum, you can hold on the to spare, and rent it out to other Koup owners who need it for their inspection. Can make back some $$$$.

• Praise 1

T10 should not be a problem for cabin lights.

planning to change my reverse light to LEDs, not sure if it's LTA friendly. but i will keep the original for inspections.

• Praise 1

My stand is not to change to LED now. Especially those modified at back yard or those without proper quality control and standards.

Immediate and short term gains may be the 'look good' factor to keep up with current 'In thing of LED lights.

In the months later, many cars with modified LED lights, experienced problems with faulty lights such as partial break down, dangling wires or lights.

These exclude stress from worrying getting caught and failing inspections.

• Praise 1