"New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

Lurpsexx

[cool]

should be consistent.. either all you follow the pronunciation or all you follow the meaning...

now..some country follow pronunciation, some follow meaning..some half half...

There are many many examples of names being romanized and changed.

The that springs easily to mind is the CCCP / USSR

And there are a couple of others that are dancing just beyond the reach of my memory.

As to whether it should be Xin Xi Lan or Niu Xi Lan - if it were up to me, I would use the respective characters to decide. There are a few native terms for New Zealand, so if something close can be found that would be best.

One such name is The Land of the Long White Cloud, which is the most commonly accepted literal translation of Aoetearoa. The South Island is generally known as Te Wai Pouneamou (I just know I've spelt that wrong) which is literally "Land of Green Stone" (speaking from memory so apologies if I've parahrased)

The North Island doesn't count [:p]

↡ Advertisement

lucky not tiu chi lan.........hahaha [laugh] [laugh]

This one will really chio ka peng if the news reader say it in the Ch 8 nightly news... :D

Just a thought - If the NZ gummint were to release an "official" translation - would you follow it?

As long as the Kiwis are comfy to call themselves whatever, then others should respect their choice and call them by that chosen name...

Heck, if they decide to call the country Kiwiland, who's to say no?? You and I are not the sons of their soil.... [lipsrsealed]

cb...if i don understand i dont write tio bor!......fark ball cork......direct translation. [laugh]

ok ok ...............you win........... [:p] [:p]

As long as the Kiwis are comfy to call themselves whatever, then others should respect their choice and call them by that chosen name...

Heck, if they decide to call the country Kiwiland, who's to say no?? You and I are not the sons of their soil.... [lipsrsealed]

er - I am a "son of their soil"......I take it you mean a native, yes?

ok ok ...............you win........... [:p] [:p]

wa ei sai kong tng nang la peng yu...tampo nia...ei sai tia e sai kong.....wa peng yu long chong tng nang lei!

ei sai bue? wa kong kokkien! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

sori hor...wa ai pang hokkien...mng si kokkien.

Edited by Eviilusion

The twisted Singapore world also speaks Singlish which nobody else in the world understand. Then how ? Blame teachers or mothers ? Or blame foreigners for not learning Singlish ?

Solly ah, your england powderful leh... I no understand.. can repeat?

Also hor, what has Singlish now got to do with New Zealand ah?

that ..................is not for us to decide.............

if this not for us to decide the romanisation standard as individuals on behalf of a community, who are they (those fob china chinese) to decide?

after all, it is important to note that prior to the introduction of hanyu pinyin in 1970s, there was not a formally ratified standard of romanisation applied to mandarin chinese.

in fact, there were alot of rumbling resentment when the authorities decided to change the term of reference of certain places to comply with hanyu pinyin. e.g. nee soon to yishun and aokang to hougang. and may j point out, there are still plenty of ambiguities e.g. sengkang etc

The twisted Singapore world also speaks Singlish which nobody else in the world understand. Then how ? Blame teachers or mothers ? Or blame foreigners for not learning Singlish ?

what are you talking about? the issue here is the standard of romanisation applied in practised. it is not about singlish vs the queen's english oh please.

Do you know where is this place ?

克赖斯特彻奇

It is Christchurch of New Zealand, where we used to call it 基督城. Now it is called 克赖斯特彻奇 in Chinese.

Edited by Civic2000

if this not for us to decide the romanisation standard as individuals on behalf of a community, who are they (those fob china chinese) to decide?

after all, it is important to note that prior to the introduction of hanyu pinyin in 1970s, there was not a formally ratified standard of romanisation applied to mandarin chinese.

in fact, there were alot of rumbling resentment when the authorities decided to change the term of reference of certain places to comply with hanyu pinyin. e.g. nee soon to yishun and aokang to hougang. and may j point out, there are still plenty of ambiguities e.g. sengkang etc

Agree with your points bro..

In fact, many of the older folks were confused and grumbling about the renaming of many familiar places to the hanyu pinyin names.... some got lost finding their way around..

↡ Advertisement