"New Zealand" is 纽西兰 or 新西兰???

Lurpsexx

Ha... nice one.

Thinking seriously about this 'change', I honestly think the Chinese screwed up on this one.

They cannot use 'meaning' to translate for names. I mean, "John" is translated as yue han and Susan is translated as Su San... how can they account fo such? Even the "Zealand" in "New Zealand" reamains as a phoenics translation. Just because they (now) know what "new" means in English doesn't mean that the names of places/country should get 'corrected' like this.

If they are that right to "correct" the names of countries from the knowledge of what some english words mean, then I should also think that they would be equally open to the english speaking countries "correcting" their country name from 'China' to 'Middle Country'

Speaking for myself, and specifically about New Zealand - IF, you were to go for a translation with the same meaning, I would like to have Aoetearoa, or in English - The Land of the Long White Cloud.

New Zealand is a name that in and of itself doesn't hold any meaning for me - other than as the familiar name of my country. (Was named by some Dutch prat after his home province of Zeeland*).

BUT if you could get the correct characters for a somewhat close phonetics and still mean sound like New Zealand, then that would be great.

What would be really hilarious would be to try and see Aoetearoa rendered in Chinese - from what I know, the two languages don't have the overlapping sounds needed to form this :D[:p]

* Not sure of the spelling

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

ya... Australia is now 澳大利亚 and not 澳州...

YES, i noticed this too!!! and i keep wondering about my chinese knowleadge, whether did i study the wrong things in school last time.

澳大利亚 sounds like another country

Speaking for myself, and specifically about New Zealand - IF, you were to go for a translation with the same meaning, I would like to have Aoetearoa, or in English - The Land of the Long White Cloud.

New Zealand is a name that in and of itself doesn't hold any meaning for me - other than as the familiar name of my country. (Was named by some Dutch prat after his home province of Zeeland*).

BUT if you could get the correct characters for a somewhat close phonetics and still mean sound like New Zealand, then that would be great.

What would be really hilarious would be to try and see Aoetearoa rendered in Chinese - from what I know, the two languages don't have the overlapping sounds needed to form this :D[:p]

last time i went taiwan for ns training my name in the army passport wreads Luo xi.....my chinese friends chuckle when they heard it. but my Indian friend got it worse...Ravinther became Laloler.....Kns, whole company laughed like hell [laugh][laugh]

Turbocharged

Lurpsexx very bo liao...

it's just the international standardization of the Chinese names, naturally they will follow China

just like Britain is the main source of standardization for English

like that also an excuse to anti-PRC?

what about panda?

it's 熊猫 in China and 猫熊 in Taiwan... so we should follow ROC instead?

i'm ok with these standardization as long as our own words are not affected...

i'll be buay song if any FTs interfere and insist our markets are called 集市 instead of 巴刹... our drains are called 水沟 instead of our favourite 龙沟

in fact, do you know last time they tried to change the names Tekka to Zhujiao and Bukit Panjang to Zhenghua without success? (they did succeed in converting the name of Nee Soon to Yishun)

印度尼西亚 has always been the name............印尼 is the short call for it...............i learn this since school days leh.................

a lot of ppl dont know about this...

Well, the most important word here is " recently"

As far back as I can recall, the adverts called new Zealand as niu xi LAN.. It was a milk powder advert, think was anlene or something..

And Indonesia was pronounced as 印尼 when the newscaster was a local lady..

Only recently, did these new terms emerge.. Guess which country people also happened to flood our country recently?

Quantity does hv it's own quality; of screwing up our local lingo..

you should be glad that we have ppl here to finally teaching us the proper chinese.

Its embaressing when i go Taiwan and speak in a chinese that the local there dont understand..

hack they understanding PRC chinese better than our chinese. look who is more damned [:/]

singapore should be singapura = 新加坡拉

If you translate Singapura directly, it should be 狮城。。。

oh pleeeeeease.....

so japanese is not good lah [laugh]

Depends - if you like whitebait, maybe Japanese good, if you prefer Grouper then I think NZ is probably better.

Would also depend if you are a lunar or a solar sort of person (think about this for a while ok?)

Hmmm...well New Zealanders are pretty good at sex :wub:[:p]

Ya... Kiwis should have lots of practise at night when there's almost nothing to do. Just hope that they don't do it to the lambs [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

a lot of ppl dont know about this...

but i was taught of this i think in upper pri or lower sec leh..............i think there is even a song that sing out the name ................

Turbocharged

but i was taught of this i think in upper pri or lower sec leh..............i think there is even a song that sing out the name ................

你可曾听说有个巴厘岛,

就在那印度尼西亚,

那岛上风景美丽如图画,

谁都会深深爱上它。

nice old song [laugh]

Edited by Scion

凹爹弱牙? [laugh]

Ha... nice one.

Thinking seriously about this 'change', I honestly think the Chinese screwed up on this one.

They cannot use 'meaning' to translate for names. I mean, "John" is translated as yue han and Susan is translated as Su San... how can they account fo such? Even the "Zealand" in "New Zealand" reamains as a phoenics translation. Just because they (now) know what "new" means in English doesn't mean that the names of places/country should get 'corrected' like this.

If they are that right to "correct" the names of countries from the knowledge of what some english words mean, then I should also think that they would be equally open to the english speaking countries "correcting" their country name from 'China' to 'Middle Country'

[laugh] [laugh] Very true!

Or who knows, it may just happen the other way round also! Look at what has happened to the word "talent" and "fans".

Talent used to be "Cai hua", now its known as "Ta Len"

Fans used to be "Ge (song) mi, Ying(movie) mi, Qiu (soccer) mi" now it is known as "Fen Shi"

What they hell are the people in middle country doing?!?!? Enjoying too much economic success until nothing better to do and go screw around with their own language [bigcry]